Thread: Schipperke on Citrus

Schipperke on Citrus

Since I had the day off today, I decided to do a quick little form that I could do a little burning on.
    I went with a little block of citrus wood that's been sitting around for awhile. Citrus turns very well and has a very fine grain which makes it very nice for burning in lines since the tip doesn't get caught following grain lines.
    After turning and sanding, I drew the schipperke on with a pencil, then used a skew tip on my burner to burn in the outline. Then using the flat side of the skew, I shaded in the body, then using the skew tip again I burned in some lines to give the impression of fur.
    Finally I gave it a few coats of antique oil then did a little hand buffing.
    It's just a little baby form at 2 1/2" x 2 1/2".
    PICT0004-002.JPGPICT0003-002.JPG
    This is what a schipperke looks like. I did a decent likeness, but my artwork still needs some work.
    schipperke.jpg
    Thanks for looking!
    Comments and critiques are welcome.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Nicely done there! I like the burning and looks like you did a fine job with it. What did you put on the inside, looks like black lacquer? And, pardon my ignorance, but what is citrus? I'm thinking lemon or orange or lime tree or something like that. Is citrus a tree type in and of itself?

3. I like this Kathy.............nice work!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Steve, citrus is just the generic for all those things you mentioned. We get a bunch of it around here. It all turns and looks about the same.

very nice, i like your form, i like your burning, sometimes its hard to find the right wood to embellish, good choice

Wonderful job! I really like how the lines of burning give some appearance of hair and how it lays. Most excellent!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Steve, the inside has a coat of black gesso and as Dale said, Citrus is the generic for grapefruit, lemon, orange, etc. Not sure which this is, but the wood for all of them is pretty much the same.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Well done Kathy.