Thread: Bradford Pear Salad Plate

Bradford Pear Salad Plate

I have the oppurtunity to harvest a 35 bradford pear trunks 12-116" diameter and 4 to 4.5' long from a project i a building in Fortworth Texas. Here is a my first square edge turning. A bradford pear salad plate.image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Jim, that's nice plate. What's the size of this, and how high? Like the worm holes too!

That is a nice looking square plate. It looks like the wood was "dead" and not full of sap like most Bradford Pear. It is a good find in any case. I got some from a neighbor here that had been hit by lightning and over half of the tree was dead. One limb section was half green and half dead, about 50/50 split between light wood and dark wood. The 116" must have been some tree, but even 16" is good size for BP. I get all I can, and share what I cannot rough turn in a couple of weeks. The dry wood does store better, but then there are the worms under the bark often.

Plate is 9" by 9" and 1-3/4" high.

The trees were cut about 6-7 months ago. I bought a alaskan chainsaw mill and have ripped down a few logs about 3 months ago 1-1/2" to 2-1/2" thick . I sealed the ends of boards and stored them in my wood shed. Pretty muck like a kiln in the texas summer. Measured the moisture at 8-9% this morning before i turned it. Turns and sands nice.

very nice, are they worm holes or nail holes??? since it was a building, is that spalting some, never seen spalting in bp, have seen mold

Nice job, love that propeller sound, it keeps you on your toes turning.

The trees were removed from a landscape median of a boulavard that was cared for by arborists. Those are worm holes. i left them exactly how i found them i did not fill them. I guess the worm processes the wood and it fills the worm hole?