Thread: Vari Grind or Vari Grind 2

Vari Grind or Vari Grind 2

I am going to buy a Vari Grind or Vari Grind 2. I know a lot of you have the Vari Grind - probably a lot more than have the Vari Grind 2.
    I did search the Forum and did not see this question, so here goes. Does anyone have experience with the Vari Grind 2, or with both?
    Any recommendations between the two? If you have a CBN wheel, I guess you dont need the VariGrind 2.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

I have both and have not used the vari-grind 2 since I got the original vari-grind. The vari-grind 2 which may be a little safer, limits you in some sharpening situations. Another thing to think about is the original can be used with the raptor gauges " http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/...or-Set-Up-Tool " for setting up the pivot arm for different gouges where-as the vari-grind 2 can not. I have plywood gauges that mimic the operation of the raptor system and use them all of the time.
    Paul Singer
    Jet 1642EVS 2hp

I asked Kirk DeHeer which one to buy and he said buy the original Vari-Grind. He said VG2 doesn't have the flexibility or side-to-side movement of the original VG and the VG2 will wear down the middle of the stone.

I have a CBN and a VG original. The only reason I see for the 2 is to lock users into having to use their base. The allowable side-side movement of the original is not enough to cause a substandard profile on the tool's nose.

I know a fellow who has Essential Tremor. He has great difficulty sharpening without the VG2. Otherwise, VG is what I have, as it seemed to me more flexible.
    Being well-read is not the same as knowing what you are doing.

Thank you for the information. I guess I need to "sharpen" my search skills, John. I think it is time to buy the standard vari-grind. A few more sales and I will also buy a CBN wheel.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Aldrich View Post
    Thank you for the information. I guess I need to "sharpen" my search skills, John. I think it is time to buy the standard vari-grind. A few more sales and I will also buy a CBN wheel.
    Rich, I use Google advanced search for my searches of SMC. I seem to get much better results.