Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need help choosing new lathe!

need help choosing new lathe!

I'm looking to upgrade from a HF lathe to something way better my budget is around $2500
    I would like:
    At least a 16" swing
    1.5 hp or more 110v or 220v
    reverse
    VS would be nice, but not a requirement
    NOT made in China/Taiwan

I been looking at the Oneway 1224(which only has 12" swing), Vicmarc vl200 or 300 bare, an older steel bed Delta x-5 and the nova dvr
    Does any one sell the Vicmarc vl200 in the US? if anyone has any other suggestions please share them.

the only lathe I know would be the Nova series. Your criteria of not made in Asia really puts a cramp in the deal. Used model to fit your $2500?? A bigger used oneway?
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

3. Quote Originally Posted by Michelle Rich View Post
    the only lathe I know would be the Nova series. Your criteria of not made in Asia really puts a cramp in the deal. Used model to fit your $2500?? A bigger used oneway?
    From what I understand, even the Nova lathes are made in Asia now.............they used to be made in New Zealand, but not any more......from what I remember reading on a forum a couple of years ago.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

That is easy the Robust Sweet 16. IMHO one of the finest 16" production lathes. Plus it is made in the USA by great people. I have the American Beauty but a friend of mine has the Sweet 16. I have turned on it and it is a heck of a machine. Super versatile. Of course it does not fit into you budget but I do not think you will find a new non Asian lathe in that price range. http://www.turnrobust.com/Sweet_16_Photo_Gallery.html
    Last edited by Alan Trout; 09-04-2013 at 8:53 AM. Reason: content

With your budget I am guessing that you are definitely limited to the used market. You might want to look out for an older Powermatic that was still made in the USA. I'm sure others will chime in with excellent recommendations.

Packard has the Vega 2600 bowl lathe on sale for $2850. It's made in Decatur, IL. http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merc...de=lathes-vega
    25" dia, 2hp EVS, 17" between centers

The Oneway 1224 is made in Canada and sells for +/- $2500. I'm considering maybe getting the 1224.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    From what I understand, even the Nova lathes are made in Asia now.............they used to be made in New Zealand, but not any more......from what I remember reading on a forum a couple of years ago.
    The dvr seems to be still made in NZ as I saw made in NZ on the lathe at rockler, but sharing most parts with the 1624 who knows whats made where?

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Winburn View Post
    The Oneway 1224 is made in Canada and sells for +/- $2500. I'm considering maybe getting the 1224.
    I have been considering the 1224 but the 12" swing and 1 hp motor have me worried it won't be enough lathe for me.

I have both a 1224 and a 2436 Oneway. I also have a Robust Liberty. The 1224 is my favorite of the three. I rarely turn bigger than the 12" capacity of the 1224. It has plenty of power for anything that I have turned on it. Mike Stafford, with help from Brent English, talked me into buying the Liberty. It is a great lathe. My girlfriend really loves turning on it(she has a Nova DVR). Good luck on making your decision.

I recently bought a Nova 1624 on sale and it says it's made in New Zealand. I am happy with it. WC seems to put a Nova model on sale every couple months. I would have bought the Robust had I been able to afford it. I prefer to go non-asian when I can, but it seems to be getting tougher.
    I've got lots of practice at making firewood!

I've got the DVR XP and I think it's an amazing lathe. I've had mine for 7 years now and never had a problem. I'm not a big fan of changing belts to change speeds so the dvr motor is perfect for me.

13. Quote Originally Posted by Ben Darrah View Post
    I recently bought a Nova 1624 on sale and it says it's made in New Zealand. I am happy with it. WC seems to put a Nova model on sale every couple months. I would have bought the Robust had I been able to afford it. I prefer to go non-asian when I can, but it seems to be getting tougher.
    Ben.......that is good news..........does it have a manufacture date on it? I remember reading on a forum somewhere that Nova's were made in Asia now........however, not everything one reads on a forum is always accurate!

Maybe they were thinking about the chucks when they posted, but I know the post said the dvr was made in China and that may not be correct at all!

The Jet 1642 EVS fits into that price range. I like mine. If you could find one used, you would even have some budget for more tools, chucks, etc.

15. Quote Originally Posted by Jenny Trice View Post
    The Jet 1642 EVS fits into that price range. I like mine. If you could find one used, you would even have some budget for more tools, chucks, etc.
    The Jet lineup is made in Taiwan.........the poster mentioned not made in China or Taiwan.