Thread: Reactions to cherry?

Reactions to cherry?

I turned some dry cherry wood today for a goblet........this evening I have all kinds of sinus issues [sore throat, drainage]. I know it is fall allergy season and the rag weed is high, but I have been doing pretty good as of late. I am not sure if cherry usually causes problems for turners, and I have turned a good bit in times past, without problems.........this was dryer than any I have turned before.

I did use my Trend Pro when sanding, but only used a faceshield when turning the stuff.......did have on my overhead air cleaner, but I know that does not get all the dust.

Any others here had any issues or reactions to cherry? I am not sure which variety of cherry this is...........it was given to me a year or so ago from another turner who sold all his equipment.........it has been around several years.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

The sore throat sound more like a virus than an allergy, but if you get it upon repeated exposure to cherry it may be allergic. I tend to react to most wood dust and need to wear a respirator whenever I am in my shop. I have turned quite a bit of cherry and don't see a difference between that and other woods since I react to whatever is in the dust in general.
    Hope you feel better soon.

I think everyone reacts differently to different woods. Alder dust makes me feel like I need to sneeze. I can end up with a sore throat and a sinus headache if I am not careful with the respirator and air cleaner. I don't even want to try cocobolo or many other exotic species regardless of how nice they look.

Black cherry is listed in the wood toxicity chart as having respiratory effects such as wheezing. I don't see plain (fruit) cherry listed, although there are several types of cherry from other countries.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Peterson View Post
    I think everyone reacts differently to different woods. Alder dust makes me feel like I need to sneeze. I can end up with a sore throat and a sinus headache if I am not careful with the respirator and air cleaner. I don't even want to try cocobolo or many other exotic species regardless of how nice they look.

Black cherry is listed in the wood toxicity chart as having respiratory effects such as wheezing. I don't see plain (fruit) cherry listed, although there are several types of cherry from other countries.

Steve
    Thanks for that info, Steve........I appreciate it! Since this cherry was given to me, I do not know which variety it is!

Blog Entries
    Only wood so far that irritates me is Oak. I'm building some cherry cabinets for a motor home right now and no ill effect what so ever.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Never had issues with cherry. But you're definitely right about the allergies outside - it's hitting me pretty hard right now.

wish you well, wear the pro fulltime even in august

Thanks for the responses everyone! I have had some allergy related sinus issues coming on for a few weeks.........turning this wood might just have tipped the scales on me............not sure about that, but I started antibiotics today............sinus infection, so I am pretty miserable at the moment.

Ironically, this may end up knocking me out of Saturday's demo on Goblets! I will know tomorrow..........I am hoping my first few doses of antibiotics will clear this up enough for me to do the demo, but I have to feel better than I do at present! Wish me luck!