Thread: Homemade Wood Hardener Recipe

Homemade Wood Hardener Recipe

Ok, I've been looking at a way to reinforce the siding on an old barn that had never been painted before I paint it. I thought I had found the perfect product in the Defy products, but they can't be painted over. So, I'm looking for a good product I can use to this end or can make myself relatively cheaply. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Not sure what you mean by hardener. If the wood isn't rotten,can't you just prime and paint?

Justin,

Min-Wax makes a wood hardener that can be painted over.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Justin,

Not very cheap. I often use a 1:1 shellac/DNA mix to harden soft wood and that is paintable, but not cheap. The old wood will really soak up the paint for sure.

It's no longer available everywhere though....
    It's still listed on the web site as a current product, but, when I needed some a few months ago I couldn't get any (here in NE Ohio).
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    It's no longer available everywhere though....
    It's still listed on the web site as a current product, but, when I needed some a few months ago I couldn't get any (here in NE Ohio).
    I had the same problem when I need to buy Min-Wax Wood Hardener around a year ago. I ended up having to buy it on line and I think that I bought it through Amazon.

I could but would feel a little better if the wood's fibers were reinforced a bit. It doesn't have to be a lot.

Have you thought of using some Durham Rock Hard? http://www.amazon.com/Durham-Donald-...am+water+putty You should be able to dilute it some and put it on. I started using it as a seam filler on underlayment after a my friend a retired flooring contractor suggested it. You could test before you buy a lot with a small amount to see if it would work for you. Dan

You want to stabilize the entire barn? You could almost replace the sidiing for what that will cost. No offense, but I had a good laugh with the idea of coating the entire barn with Durham's. By the time you got that done, it would be time to start over. Miniwax wood hardener is about 75% solvent. It's basically like a little plexiglass melted in a lot of acetone. Just go to a really good commercial paint store and ask them what they have.

Alright. I'll have to find one of those. They're not plentiful in my area.

Most paint mfgs have technicians you can consult on odd conditions. The textured surface of old barns is widely admired,
    (see thousands of black and white photos) I would just paint with solid color stain. Maybe put copper naphthalate on boards closest to the ground.

Copper naphthalate? How long will a solid stain last?

I'd say at least seven years on vertical surfaces. Some have guarantees of at least that. The beauty of the solid color stains is they don't peel,so when you recoat you don't have to scrape. I have only used the FLOOD brand which is actually an emulsified acrylic and oil formula,I like it. The copper stuff is a powerful rot preventer,needs to be used carefully .That mostly means don't let it drip on ground.