Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

Blog Entries

It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

I bought a used drill press on Craigslist, and didn't really know how to tell my wife. Well she came home early and the following text messages ensued (see photo). I should explain that her and her mother months earlier decided to turn my beloved pool table into a diaper changing station. I commented then, "I guess it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission!"
    Attached Images Attached Images

They can put holes in the pool table for drainage, with the new drill press.

It can also double as a doorstop, or flower stand.
    Let me guess, SWMBO only has one pair of shoes, and a flannel dress for all events?

Blog Entries
    Jim:
    (1.) Don't give her any ideas!

(2.) I can't complain. She is pretty frugal on clothes. I married a good one for sure. :-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    I bought a used drill press on Craigslist, and didn't really know how to tell my wife. Well she came home early and the following text messages ensued (see photo). I should explain that her and her mother months earlier decided to turn my beloved pool table into a diaper changing station. I commented then, "I guess it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission!"
    My Amy has been very understanding, too (maybe it's the name?). She came home one day, walked into the basement, looked to the side and saw a huge cutout in the doorway so I could get my CNC machine through to the workshop... never said a word, just shook her head and walked back upstairs.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

LOL!!! My wife has been most understanding this year with the purchases I've made.

Delta 34-444 w/extras
    8" Bridgewood jointer
    WM-718
    Rikon 10-340
    Werner 22' ladder w/2scaffold bases ($80 on CL!!!)
    Router bits (after throwing all of my old ones out on accident!!!)

Those were the ones I 'asked permission" for...

The others...

Festool RS-2
    Festool Systainers
    Festool caster carts
    Festool Domino
    Festool Parallel Guides
    Festool Guide Rails 55", and 32"
    Laser levels
    Bosch 4100

Probably much more. So far, everything has been used on every job, except the Domino as I just received it and am about to use it for the first time. Now I'm close to getting a shop and she is quite excited, surprisingly.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

More is DEFINITELY more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    My Amy has been very understanding, too (maybe it's the name?). She came home one day, walked into the basement, looked to the side and saw a huge cutout in the doorway so I could get my CNC machine through to the workshop... never said a word, just shook her head and walked back upstairs.
    LOL!!! THAT is AWESOME!!! A cutout in the doorway!?! I love her reaction. Mind if I ask what you paid for the CAMaster CNC?

I've had my eyes on this...

http://www.probotix.com/FireBall_X90...op_cnc_router/

AND/OR

THIS...

http://www.probotix.com/FireBall_Comet_cnc_router/

Len (@ Probotix) is a GREAT guy. He helped me so much 4+ years ago when I first put my CNC Micro Mill together. Great stuff at GREAT prices!!!
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

More is DEFINITELY more!!!

Never a problem with tools. The boat that followed my truck home and the 1959 Bugeye on the other hand, took some splaining...
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Dunn View Post
    LOL!!! THAT is AWESOME!!! A cutout in the doorway!?! I love her reaction. Mind if I ask what you paid for the CAMaster CNC?
    See here...
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...outer-July-4th

Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

You guys have it all wrong. We always discuss purchases beforehand.
    Much easier than explaining or begging for forgiveness. It's worked for 45 years.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

10. Explain on the front end? Shoot, I usually put her in the truck so she can help load stuff! What's hard is hiding boxes from that tool guy who sends me emails, as she gets home before I do...

My favorite tool purchase involving my wife ahead of time was when she convinced me (I was on the fence) to buy a W&H Molder/Planer. Love the tool, love my wife, and we still laugh about her convincing me to drop a chunk of change on a woodworking tool.

-Alden

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Thanks for reminding us Dan, I had just about forgotten how bad you suck! A cnc is on my major want list, the tool fairy nor the luck of winning one have yet to come forward.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

My wife buys shoes and purses, I buy tools, nuff said. I don't judge her and she doesn't judge me.

The big issue is I am truly running out of space to fit anything else, my garden shed is 8x14 and packed and my bow roof shed is 12x24 and with tools at the edges and a boat forming in the middle, I am out of space.

She can keep finding space for shoes and purses though.

Do you have a blanket and pillow large enough for sleeping on the pool table?

I have been fortunate. My wife knows the joy that I receive from woodworking and really has been supportive. However, I do talk with her in advance.

Thank goodness some of you actually talk to your spouses and don't feel it necessary to hide purchases from them.