Thread: Planner Sled

Planner Sled

Anyone care to share and article in Fine Woodworking #175 that describes one. I watched the video and would like to make one. Thanks
    Thanks
    Bruce

Trotec Speedy 300 80w, Corel X8, PhotoGrav,
    Shopbot Desktop Max with spindle, Vac, indexer, Aspire
    AirWolf 3D Printer AW3D HD2x

Bruce,

Send me a private message through the forum with your email address attached and I'll send you the PDF of that article from 2005.

No copyright infringement going on here?

--- --- ---
    Last edited by John Schweikert; 09-06-2013 at 8:57 AM.

Members should be more discrete with such activities. Yes, this is copyright infringement - especially when carried out on a public message board. It is quite a different situation than someone lending a copy of their magazine to a friend to read.

By searching images of "planer sled " "Fine Woodworking #175" you can see enough to build the Keith Rust sled .

The downside to the Rust design is weight.
    I have room for flat level infeed and outfeed tables that are on the same plane as my fixed bed planer. I use flat 1/2" or 3/4" thick sleds. The sleds flex, but you don't ever pick them up when loaded with your stock, because they're set-up on the infeed table. To set up I slide rough cut thin shims under my rough stock until it wont rock. The shims stay in place without glue or tape,so it's quick and easy.

If you don't have room for 8' infeed and outfeed tables, use a flat bi-fold hollow core door for a sled. This allows some careful lifting of the sled/stock/shim "package" without disturbing the set-up. Unless you only flatten short stock, the more infeed and outfeed support you have, the easier it is to use sleds.
    Last edited by Andrew Joiner; 09-06-2013 at 3:30 PM.

You can Google planer sled-Fine Woodworking and watch the free video from their site. http://www.finewoodworking.com/works...ng-lumber.aspx

Google is your friend

find it right here
    http://ia801608.us.archive.org/22/it...working175.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Duane Meadows View Post
    No copyright infringement going on here?
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    Members should be more discrete with such activities. Yes, this is copyright infringement - especially when carried out on a public message board. It is quite a different situation than someone lending a copy of their magazine to a friend to read.
    Carpe Lignum

Quote Originally Posted by phil harold View Post
    Google is your friend

find it right here
    http://ia801608.us.archive.org/22/it...working175.pdf
    The Internet is a vast world-wide resource and Google is one heckuva search tool for the information posted therein.

That said, the fact that someone has posted it does not make it legal for you to download it. As a member of FineWoodworking's forum, I have visited the site and searched for this article both while logged in and as a guest. When I search as a member, it pops right up. When I seach as a guest, it shows me it's there but requires that I register to be a member to download the article. With FWW as the original source of the document, this indicates that the Google-found location is very likely illegally posted. Likewise, downloading this material is illegal.

Just because it's there and Google can find it does not make it legal for us to download it any more than it would make downloading any other item legal just because someone posted it and Google's automated indexing system (Bots) found and categorized it. Otherwise someone could use the same logic to claim legality in downloading child poronography or other such material. The reality is, it just doesn't fly.

Copyright infringement is what it is.
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Archive.org is a digital library

Knowledge wants to be free.

Knowledge must be free.

Knowledge should be shared.
    Carpe Lignum