Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What did you learn when you upgraded to a bigger lathe?

Blog Entries
    I started on a Jet mini, then went to a Jet 1442 and now i went big time with the Powermatic 4224. I learned getting a 1000lb Powermatic 4224 one foot up into my shop takes an act of congress. (it passed the house.......on the right side) I also learned I love slow start, reverse, 24" swing, variable speed down to 50 rpms, no vibration, built in indexing, 3 hp, being able to power right through a catch and that's just for starters. Overall there's a feel and a sense of skill elevation that I felt as well. I truly became a better turner almost immediately.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Wyko; 09-07-2013 at 4:47 PM.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

I learned that big wood is more expensive.

I learned my bank account got a lot smaller.

Much more respect for large pieces of wood rotating at faster speed. They can sure hurt if they get lose on fall on you foot or roll up your arm when they come out of the chuck. I wear stadium seat foam under my coveralls covering my chest, a leather glove on my left hand to protect it from chips and a soccer shin guard on my left forearm to protect it from bowls rolling up my arm. Yes. I have small scars on my forearm from roughing bowls rolling up my left arm. Other than that I love turning on my 3520
    Member Illiana Woodturners

"I have small scars on my forearm from roughing bowls rolling up my left arm. Other than that I love turning on my 3520"

I hadn't thought about that one yet. I have usually used my screw chuck mounted with the 3 inch jaws for roughing the exterior, and have a 4 inch oneway chuck in the mail. I was presuming I could stay with the same program but maybe I'll go back to using the faceplate for big pieces.

As far as ripping the foot off, I've done that a few times with the g0462 and usually attributed it to having an unseen crack in the wood. Very unpleasant when it happens. I'll keep my cuts light for a little bit.

It sounds like the biggest change is going to be that it's just more enjoyable - that's worth the price of the ticket. Also I presume it will mean less wear and tear on the shoulder, elbow and wrist which will save money and pain in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Gilfor View Post
    Went from Rikon 1224 size to Nova 24 inch 2.5 HP monster.
    Learned that tenons can (and do) twist and tear off when hollowing pieces. Don't use that method of chucking anymore. Old lathe would simply stall; new one rips the piece right off the chuck. The only time I trustable tenon now, is if it is very wide, mounted in my power grip jaws, or is on the bottom of a smallish piece of wood.
    This is the kind of thing I worry about. Until I shaped my gouge correctly I got several catches. A couple severe enough that it stalled my 46-460. What is the result on a much more powerful lathe?

Mike

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robert baccus View Post
    I learned that big wood is more expensive.
    Just remember when it comes to wood......It really does grow on trees.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Reading all the responses has reminded me of another result of going to a larger, more powerful lathe - Bill Wyko pointed it out and I resisted stating it just that way initially, but it has, indeed made me a better turner. I've had fewer catches and I concentrate on getting the best cut possible much more than I did before getting the Robust.
    Partly because I have to respect the fact that this thing can spit a poorly cut piece of wood back at me with more than twice the force of my former lathe, but also because the increased smoothness and lack of vibration can lull you into complacency if you're not aware of what's happening. I spend a little more time making sure my tenons are well cut and the piece won't come off the lathe because of something I've overlooked.
    Cutting cleaner with better tool angles means a better finish off the tool; and less sanding.
    My technique and my turning habits have gotten a lot better.

I really appreciate this thread. Physics are real.I am grateful that I get some experience on a midi before graduating. As I am learning I want the machine to stop when I get a catch. I want to learn smoothness and tool control so that I'll be safer with more power.

A couple of times such comments have been misinterpreted as fear. It's not. It's physics and power and leverage.

I also appreciate the comments about changing position of an 88 lb. bed extension and the lifting of the kind of blank that it takes to make a 19 inch bowl. Great insights. I do look forward to my future lathe someday. I just want to learn the ropes before I get the power.

Never learn to ride a bike on a Harley or a super rocket.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

When I bought my Stubby I could hardly wait to turn some of the big bowl blanks I had been saving until I got a lathe large enough. The Stubby has two configurations, the standard bed position allows one to turn 16" diameter blanks and with the bed slid away from the headstock one can swing 30" blanks.

After a few of hours of roughing a 25" bowl and several loads of chips to the compost bin I did not feel as enthusiastic about turning large bowls ever again. I have turned a few more large bowls and by no means have I exhausted my supply of large blanks but on occasion I foist one upon an unsuspecting newbie once in a while.

Now the largest thing I turn are platters in the 20-24" diameter range which still manage to produce voluminous chips. The turning is only part of the problem when large pieces of wood are involved. I sometimes sand with a 5" random orbit sander or a flap wheel mounted on a drill to lessen the amount of time for that task. And reverse turning the bottom of a large piece poses its own set of challenges particularly if one does not have a vacuum set up.

And last but not least how many large bowls and platters does any one person need? They are difficult to display and store and don't sell all that well. I have platters stacked up in the closet and my family, friends and neighbors will not let me enter their homes when I come calling with a large package any longer.

Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

I went from a 10x17 mini (same one Rockler is currently selling badged as Excelsior, just a different name plate) to a 3520B. The 2 things I've learned is it's a lot more physical turning a 16" piece over the 4-8" ones I was used to, and man can that thing throw some chips around the shop. I roughed out some 14-16" pieces recently, and everything in about a 10' radius around the lathe was covered in chips & shavings. They were dangling from the cobwebs in the joists, and in every nook, cranny, and uncovered opening in sight.
    Unless you're using a coring system, there's a hell of a lot of "not bowl" in every bowl.
    Stuff I've made:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/unstoppabledrew/sets/72157603258837444/

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    . As I am learning I want the machine to stop when I get a catch. I want to learn smoothness and tool control so that I'll be safer with more power.
    I just recently went from a Jet 1014i to a Jet 3520A. And i have found out if you use a steb center or 2 spur center and you take too much of a cut or get a catch that the torque of the motor will cause that center to drill a hole in the wood.

I find its like going from a V4 to a V8 Supercharger Car. They both will drive you to your location, but with the V8 you want to use it to the max. Meaning: Suddenly instead of pens you want to turn 18" bowls, and natural forms. and hollowing out vases etc... going to the max. So my only advice is to take your progression naturally. Dont hit the pedal to the floor and lose control.
    -------------------------------------
    Adrian Anguiano

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". Jeremiah 29:11