Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What did you learn when you upgraded to a bigger lathe?

What did you learn when you upgraded to a bigger lathe?

Hey Creekers - I just made the big jump up from the Grizzly 0462 to a PM 3520 and I'm really excited, it arrived yesterday and I've already got it running, just need to receive my new chuck and I'm operational.

I'm anticipating some slow surprises in this respect - I have been pushing the G0462 to it's limits in size and balance and have developed a lot of habits to compensate, such as always locking a hip to the bed and lots of pressure on the tool rest to dampen vibration or adjusting the speed to match the vibration rather then for the best cut. Sanding has definitely been non-optimal since the old machine had a bottom end of 600 rpm and I used a mix of handheld paper, non-powered rotary and airpowered rotary. Now I have a full range of speeds plus reverse. Another change I know nothing about is the ability to securely move the tool rest above the center axis.

I was wondering if any of you had any memorable experiences of a habit or practice that you brought with you when you upgraded that you no longer needed, or new practices that were suddenly available. Anything that might have kept you from using a new machine at full potential for a bit, like the ability to use heavier or lighter tools which hadn't worked before.

In a similar vein, my town is swarming with "body works practitioners" - massage and physical therapists, etc. Has anyone ever worked directly at the lathe with someone who could talk posture and fatigue? The saving grace on that g0462 was the swiveling headstock- it made it possible to position for difficult cuts like shear scraping near the foot or accessing upper corners of a HF but I would sometimes realize that I could only make certain cuts for a few minutes at a time before I was exhausted. I know the PM gives me the opportunity to work right of the end of the bed so I can still get most of those angles, but I'd like to start forming some good habits where I can.

Also, the SMC community and your reviews and discussions were a big help in choosing a lathe. Thanks for all your enthusiasm!

I switched quite quickly from a Jet mini to a Jet 1642, so I had less to unlearn. You've already mentioned one crucial thing to keep in mind with your new lathe -- being able to move the headstock so you can work off the end. Make sure you take full advantage of that from the beginning. I sometimes find myself off to the side when it would be easier and more sensible off the end.

I learned that I can stop my Jet Mini easily with a gouge. On my 1642, the lathe stops me. Or should I say it kicks me off when I get a catch. I had to unlearn a lot of over agressive cuts, since the bigger lathe has so much more power. The first couple weeks, I got kicked around a lot....... I did learn more control. Now when I use the mini, I don't get catches. Still get them on the big lathe though. Mostly because I can turn MUCH faster with more mass on the big lathe. I seldomly had the mini above 1200. Enjoy the new lathe. It's a great lathe.

David Ellsworth teaches 'body mechanics' - stance, posture, excercises, etc. Well worth picking up one of his books. I don't think the videos cover it as well as the books do, though of course they do better with the actual turning.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Blog Entries
    What did I learn when I swapped my Jet for a Robust?

First off, I learned I can't move the individual pieces of the lathe by myself anymore :-/

I have had to learn my own posture and technique, which in many ways goes against the mold others were trying to fit me into. My range of motion is severely limited in certain ways, so I had to find ways to work around that. This isn't specific to the Robust, mind you, but it makes a difference. I haven't had a catch in quite a while, and my cuts are pretty darn smooth at this point... but I probably look like two dogs humping a moose with my odd motions.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I wish I could tell you, but I haven't upgraded...... Yet
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

You are going to like your new lathe a LOT. the big difference that you are going to find is that if the readout says x speed it stays there even when you lean into it. some of the smaller lathes can be bogged down not the case here. Play safe count ten fingers two eye leave with ten fingers two eyes Stretch often your new lathe won't move so use it to stretch your legs one foot forward other behind it then push back gently swap foot position. Put both hand above you head reach for the ceiling the bend to the left keeping legs straight hold five seconds same on the right side. put hands behind small of back lean to the left and hold do the right side as well. If it is the new b B series the headstock can brought down 2/3 of the way or so and he turn of the end like a stubby. Have fun Jerry

I suspect the biggest thing that you will learn is that wood-turning is more fun than before.

I haven't yet! My first lathe was/is a Jet 1642-2 and it is still teaching me new things. I get daily lessons in humility and can' t imagine what a bigger machine would do to me !

Enjoy your new freedom and horizon of opportunities !
    Dick Mahany.

George, when I upgraded from my Jet 1642-2 to a Robust AB, the one thing I noticed was the amount of clearance between the tool rest and the bed of the lathe. On the Jet, I often found that my bowl gouge would hit the bed when I was roughing out a form. Basically, I ran out of room and had to reposition myself for the next cut. With the bigger lathe, now I can just shift my weight and complete a cut without worrying about limited room!

One other observation about having a bigger lathe... is the lack of vibration. The large lathe is so smooth it is amazing! The main benefit of that is you don't have to fight the lathe to turn and it results in smoother cuts and a heck of a lot more fun!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I made the same switch as Steve did from the Jet 1642-2 to the Robust AB. the things I learned was how much more fun it was to turn. much less vibration, more power, bigger tail stock. bigger tool rest. I make cuts now that I could not do on the Jet. Plus you can set it up for your height and desires as to your build. And bye the wy the Jet was a very good lathe.

Like others here, my second lathe was a Jet 1642. After turning on it for about 4 years I upgraded to the Robust AB. The difference is profound - the additional size, horsepower and stability make turning a joy. But what I really noticed was, as Steve mentioned, the additional space from the bed to centers allowed much more freedom to drop the handle and use parts of my gouges cutting edges that I hadn't been able to play with much before. Also, surprisingly, the ability to adjust the spindle height to just the right level has made turning more comfortable and easier on the back.

I started on a Jet 1220, now own a Jet 1642 and turned on a PM 3520B at Campbell Folk School. One thing I noticed is that as you move up in quality the quality of the bearings improve and the smoother, easier, and more comfortable it is to turn faster (2500-3200rpm) when turning small items like finials and ornaments.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

i went from a RIKON mini to Jet 1642.
    Variable speed, reverse, and the extra 400 lbs makes a difference

I really like the ease of turning from pens to live edge out of balance chunks of wood.

Went from Rikon 1224 size to Nova 24 inch 2.5 HP monster.
    Learned that tenons can (and do) twist and tear off when hollowing pieces. Don't use that method of chucking anymore. Old lathe would simply stall; new one rips the piece right off the chuck. The only time I trustable tenon now, is if it is very wide, mounted in my power grip jaws, or is on the bottom of a smallish piece of wood.