Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pick a tool, any tool...or something closely related.

Pick a tool, any tool...or something closely related.

I can choose any tool or anything closely related for turning 50. I have quite a few tools already and need to determine what might be a good addition. A bench proves interesting, but the shop would most likely need a more utility bench that those that look like works of art.

Missing:
    Good Bench
    Router table though I do have the Incra lift and Porter Cable 7918 router
    Your suggestions

Already in shop:

Hammer K3 sliding table saw, Inca 10" 259 table saw, Delta/Rockwell variable 17" drill press, 14" Minimax Jointer/Planer, Minimax 4 HP shaper, Aggazini 600 Bandsaw, Powermatic 143 wood/metal bandsaw, Powermatic 719T mortiser, Powermatic 12" disc sander, Delta 6 x 48 belt sander, Jet 16/32 sander, Jet horizontal band saw, Jet 1.5 HP JWS 22CS shaper.

Numerous hand tools

Power feed for the shaper?

whenever I think I have enough clamps I realize I need more in my next project....

The cabinet maker's bench from Blum Tool is an interesting design.

It's a torsion box, and could be readily adapted to fit the Noden Adjusta Bench legs.
    The Blum design relies on pipe clamps, and may be a little coarse for those with refined taste,
    but it's built well and should serve dual duty; handtool use and supporting power tool apps.

http://www.blumtool.com/pages/fullsizeworkbenches.html

Wood , always buy more wood!

I've been thinking about a bench also. Something that combines a real pneumatic face frame table with overhead clamps, with the kreg clamping table (edge clamps), with a Lie Neilsen front vise, with lots of holes to be used as a downdraft table and as dog holes. Just a concept, but you could spend a significant about of money.

Work benches you say - Here are a few options and the costs to match -

CHEAP but functional http://www.harborfreight.com/60-inch...nch-93454.html

Middle line (on sale) with additional incentives http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...Workbench.aspx

Very nice and with a lead time while it is custom built http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?grp=1482

A bench is a very good tool to own.

The Festool MFT is handy http://www.bobmarinosbesttools.com/m...able/p/495462/ but that just gets you going on your birthday presents for years to come.

Happy Birthday Rich - now go out and make something of yourself - er - I mean make something out of wood .
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I don't see a lathe listed in your inventory... If you're interested in sliding down that slippery slope.
    Andy Kertesz

" Impaled on nails of ice, raked by emerald fire"...... King Crimson '71

Sounds to me like you've got everything you need. Send the money for new tool to me
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

How about a lathe, vacuum press for veneering, or some finishing equipment (HVLP, turbine, etc.). The suggestion for a feeder is a good one too.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael W. Clark View Post
    How about a lathe, vacuum press for veneering, or some finishing equipment (HVLP, turbine, etc.). The suggestion for a feeder is a good one too.
    Michael, you're always very kind, especially since the aforementioned Minimax shaper was destined for your garage. You and the others have good recommendations. The garage houses an old Walker Turner lathe that a half-century old mind forgot to mention. It's not much of a lathe, but there is one in there; just hasn't been down in a few years.

You have a mortiser. Thus, you need a tenoner.

Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Michael, you're always very kind, especially since the aforementioned Minimax shaper was destined for your garage.
    At least I found out it was gone before I rented the trailer! You got a deal. I see some of those on CL periodically for a lot more and usually in worse shape. I bought a 7518 and am going to build a new router table this winter. That will do me till I get more space. A feeder would be a good addition to the T3. I was going to say mortiser, but I see you have one already.

Measuring tools. You can never have too many measuring tools.

Let me get this right. You have a 7518 router and a lift, but no router table? I see you have a shaper, but to me, a router table sounds like what you should get next. Even with a shaper, a router table will still be used frequently. I see you plan to make one someday, how bout just buying a good top, and make the rest later.

Rick Potter