Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: electric chainsaw questions

electric chainsaw questions

Hello everyone looking at getting an electric chainsaw for cutting blanks in the garage. the gas one is just too noisy and the fumes go in the house. so I have been looking around. Craftstman has a 16" 3.5 horse motor for $89 then i ran across this one https://www.snowjoe.com/Sun-Joe-Saw-...in-Saw-SWJ701E . Has anybody ever heard of this saw? is 14 amp as powerful as 3.5 hp? the extra 2" would be nice but if the power is not there or the saw is junk then the 2" is basicall useless. any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated thank you in advanced
    cal
    Grandpa always told me. "A good woodworker is not one that makes no mistakes. A good woodworker is one who knows how to cover up his mistakes."

Quote Originally Posted by cal thelen View Post
    Hello everyone looking at getting an electric chainsaw for cutting blanks in the garage. the gas one is just too noisy and the fumes go in the house. so I have been looking around. Craftstman has a 16" 3.5 horse motor for $89 then i ran across this one https://www.snowjoe.com/Sun-Joe-Saw-...in-Saw-SWJ701E . Has anybody ever heard of this saw? is 14 amp as powerful as 3.5 hp? the extra 2" would be nice but if the power is not there or the saw is junk then the 2" is basicall useless. any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated thank you in advanced
    cal
    Cal, "in my opinion", lol, don't waste your time and money on an electric saw. Big issue is no power which you have recognized. I realize you live in a area where weather is an issue but do your ruffling out just like you do firewood, before it gets cold. I wouldn't be cutting in the garage do to the fact that there's not enough room and it leaves a mess. There are plenty of smaller gas saw to choose from. Buying a saw is like building a shop, it's never big enough, lol. Good Luck.

I guess my experience is the opposite of Robert's. I have used a Stihl and bought the Makita. Both do an excellent job. The Stihl was more money that I wanted to pay. I cut bowl blanks from 16" logs routinely and with a sharp chain, the Makita does an excellent job. Like you, I'm working in my garage much of the time, and the electric keeps me and the neighbours happy.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Here is a fairly good short article on HP and amps. I never look at marketing HP ratings anymore unless it is from someone like Baldor.
    http://www.kevinsbrady.net/motors.pdf
    I have a little (no idea of the amps or hp) electric that I got at Northern on sale for about $70 that has done fine for splitting and knocking the corners off of log sections. Not quick but gets the small jobs done; it is probably not good for the long run but works ok for now.
    Of the two you listed I would go with the brand I have never heard of before.
    PS Here’s a great 6.5 HP shop vac from sears.
    http://www.sears.com/shop-vac-6.5-peak-hp-shop-pac-174-back/p-00913412000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Hey Cal. I use a 16" Husky for most of my blank prep BUT when it is wet outside and I want to prepare blanks I have been using electric chainsaws for about 8 years. I wore out the old Craftsman I had and now use a cheap Poulin from Canadian Crappy. Works really well but does go through a lot more oil than the Husky but I would get another electric in a heart beat when I wear this one out.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

I also have a Stihl E21 along with a couple of good quality gas saws. The E21 will hold its own with a 40 to 45cc saw. Mine has an 18" bar but a 21" will fit. It has a magnesium frame and just works ever time you pull the trigger. The downside is they are very expensive $500+ but will last a lifetime.

I have never seen the saw you mentioned so I can not attest to the quality.

Good Luck

Alan

Cal, haven't heard of the Sun Joe saw, but if its amperage is to be believed, the 14 amps looks very good for your indoor work. The Sears "3.5 hp" saw is listed at only 12 amps. Even that's pretty good for light use. I picked up a Harbor Freight 14" saw a few months back for knocking off slabs and corners of large bowl blanks in the shop. It's only 9 amps, yet works great for that. It was under $45 on sale.

David

biggest thing on cheap saw is to have a chain guard, something the chain wraps around if it breaks
    i have not used my gas chain saw in about 3 years, use electric outside and inside

Makita electric works very well. I don't remember the last time I cut a bowl blank round on my bandsaw. Go around the half log twice cutting corners and trimming edges, and on to the lathe. The chain seems more durable than my Stihl gas saw. I think it was designed for demoniton and landscape cutting. Comes with brake and overload protection. If the cut get too much it will shut off,but simply ease up and pull the trigger. It has a 16" blade. You can rent it at the big orange store and try it out. They will sell them, but the net is better for a new one. Bang for the buck it is a good one
    Member Illiana Woodturners

no way the saw is 3 hsp on a 110 circuit...makita makes a super elec
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

I tried an electric... and I wore myself out in one cut. Decided to get a 20" Echo 45CC, and it was like slicing butter. No vibration, no fatigue, no pushing the saw to cut. Buy a good saw if you are going to process wood.
    -------------------------------------
    Adrian Anguiano

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". Jeremiah 29:11

I don't know anything about their electric chainsaw, but I have a Snow Joe electric snow thrower that I love. Last winter was snow on the ground from Oct till May and the Snow Joe handled it like a champ.

I bought a 3.5 Craftsmen and used it for about a year, but got a craftsmen 4.0 and love it runs great and will do everything I've tried. My buddy bought a Craftsmen 4.0 after using mine and loves his.I know someone will say 4.0 hp can't be done with 110 power or they always over rate the saw's but I just know what it say's on the side and how well it works and it was only $99.00 on sale.I sold my 3.5 to my BIL and he's using it to trim with, it needed more power for any slitting cuts but the 4.0 is like cutting butter.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

be careful of the drive pulley on electrics. The Remington is "plastic" and will not take much to melt it. I went through two of them before I found the Makita. A bit more expensive but after 5 years still going strong when I just want to lop off something and don't wnat to fire up the gas saw. Uses 30 weight oil for chain lube and is oh so easy on the earas at 6:00AM

I have been turning now for 3 years and use a Husqvarna gas 20" and a Makita 16" electric. If my Makita breaks I would run out and buy another Makita as they are that good of an electric saw IF you use a good chain. I get my chains made at the local arborists store.
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006