Thread: Need source for 3/8 x 1-1/2 red oak flooring

Need source for 3/8 x 1-1/2 red oak flooring

My daughter wants me to help repair her oak floor in her living room and dining room. I have searched the internet and have not been able to find a good source. The only source that I could find required you to buy a minimum of a pallet. I only need about 30 square feet.

Does anyone know where I can obtain 3/8 x 1-1/2 T & G solid red oak flooring?

Ralph...

Run it yourself. Set up your router table to run a groover bit. Run the females about a 1/4 inch deep and the males about 1/2 inch deep. Then cut baltic birch strips 3/4 inch wide. I run these through one more pass with a 1/8 inch porter cable round over bit. The male grooves are 1/4 inch thick and 1/2 inch deep. Then glue the baltic splines into the male grooves.

Granted, this may be alot of work, but 30 square feet of flooring is not worth it for most moulders. A typical setup charge on a wynig moulder is $75 dollars plus a minimum run of so many feet.

Also note the numbers quoted above are for standard 3/4 inch hardwood flooring. Your numbers may vary due to the reduced thickness and width.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

By the way, there are shaper cutters available for most of the profiles. My shaper set has a 30 mm bore and cuts an austrailian profile. I actually like it better as its less prone to tonque splitting when using air powered floor nailers. You may wish to check out freeborn and CG Schmidt to see what they have as well. Some of the router bit makers may also have flooring profiles available. But you need to ask other members here if that is the case. I personally avoid the router bits if possible. I am a shaper guy.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Thanks Dev,

I may have to make them.

Try Lumber Liquidators.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Woodline makes a bit for 3/8 t&g flooring. I have that one and the one for 3/4 flooring. Both work very well if you are only running a small batch.

Buena suerta con su projecto.

Andy Halterman

Home from 2 1/2 days of fun in the TN mountains in Hendersonville, NC™

Ralph,

If you post your location, someone may be able to better help you out. For example, I know of a guy near me that may be able to help you out, but you need to be near WI
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

I found some.

Thank you guys for your help. I found some at Woodworkers Shop in Pekin, Illinois. It is rather expensive at $9 square foot, but it still beats having to make it myself.

It is supposed to be shipped today.