Thread: divots in cherry

divots in cherry

Hi,

Happy Memorial Day!

Question. After running some cherry through my planner (new blades) I have a couple of divots about 1\4" diameter and about a 1/64 to 1/32" deep and the stock is already getting thinner than I'd like. I was thinking of putting a little clear 5 min. epoxy into the divots and sanding down. The final finish will be seal-a-cell and armor-seal over it. What sayeth thou?

Craig
    Sebastopol, Ca.
    RA 16 896 496

It was an event like this, though with many all over the board, that started me into using handplanes. In your case, first thing I woujld consider is if the divots could end up in a place where they won't be noticeable. I recommend that you do the repair right now and apply a coat of sample finish to that area. If it looks good then you can breathe easy as the project moves ahead. If it looks bad, then you'll be able to contemplate options before wasting fab time.

Is your dust collector clearing the chips completely? What you describe is often caused by chips begin recycled back onto the board and pressed by the rollers...causing dimples.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

try steaming first

Before filling the dents....

I would try steaming first.

Take a paper towel and fold it over a few times.... then get it wet.

Lay the wet towel on the dents and press a hot iron (set to the highest setting)on the towel

This will create a blast of steam and help reduce the dents.

Do this several times.

I have used this trick several times and can really help fix dents.

-jj

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    I am a little confused on the terminology (divots) you use to describe your problem. Does the cherry you are using have any "curl" in it. Curly cherry is tricky to plane in that chip outs occur if very, very light cuts are not made and if your planer knives are not sharp. I have no idea what you are working with. I would think this or what Jim said is your problem.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Hi,

Yes, the cherry is curley. The chip, is a tear out, fortunatly I caught all but one before glue up. Steaming did bring out the divot and I think that when I put shellac and seal-a-cell on it, it won't be that noticeable, although it is a table top. I couldn't skew the piece thru the planner 'cause the piece was 13" wide going thru a 15" wide planner. I used a drum sander to mill down the repair pieces and I think they'll be fine. The original cuts were about .015" deep. What I did not do was spray a mist of water on the surface before planning. You live and you learn.

Craig