Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Show us how you deal with cut offs

Show us how you deal with cut offs

I am just finishing my new wood shop, and have most of the wall racks complete to store and display my tools. I have built a wood storage rack along side of the stairs coming up from the garage with four stantcions with protruding arms to house my longer stock. Other than stacking the ever increasing supply of short cut offs in the corner, I haven't come up with a good storage method where I can readily see what left overs I have to work with.

I remember in a school wood shop a two sided cabinet with shelves that had a diagonal divider thus providing shelving of various depths on both sides. However, the layout of my shop doesn't have room for another bench sized piece sitting in the middle of the floor.

Any ideas out there?
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

I made one of these - fills up quickly but a great organizer.

Richard

Think you have cut offs? We fill a bin with cut offs several time a day, assign a couple of workers to hand stack into bundles and ship them in containers over to Asia for parquet flooring. Just couldn't resist...

cut offs in box.jpgpackaged cutoffs.jpgready to ship.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]If you first don't succeed, TRY, TRY AGAIN...

Blog Entries
    Usually when they start to get too deep winter rolls around and I have to decide which to keep and which to turn into firewood.

This year we bought two truckloads of alder mill ends for firewood. We pulled out a few good pieces to burn last if they do not get turned into something else.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Right now, they're in a pile in the corner of my basement like a horrific memory.

A huge pile of hickory horror.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Cruea View Post
    Right now, they're in a pile in the corner of my basement like a horrific memory.

A huge pile of hickory horror.
    Adam,

Ever consider a wood stove? <j/k> I know they're good scraps but there's something to be said for the satisfaction of getting even, isn't there? :-)
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Blog Entries
    I go vertical for cutoffs:

re-vamped wood stash (6).jpg

Bins for shorts:

re-vamped wood stash (4).jpg

Cubbies for "chunks":

re-vamped wood stash (5).jpg

Sectioned bin for panels:

Cut-Off-Bin-2.jpg . re-vamped wood stash (3).jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Anything less than 10" long goes into my wood stove.

There's a semi-annual purge of stuff I save "just in case".
    Oddly enough, I hate to throw out plywood.

Plywood is crazy expensive.

You guys are so much ahead of my non efforts to deal with scraps. Fortunately,instrument makers have far less of it!

Blog Entries
    I have a deep wide drawer where all my small pieces go... the drawer has a gap on top so I don't need to open it to go through it. not organized but keeps them out of the way. still haven't build anything for real size scraps...

Now how about a wood room....? mmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Neeley View Post
    Adam,

Ever consider a wood stove? <j/k> I know they're good scraps but there's something to be said for the satisfaction of getting even, isn't there? :-)
    There's a reason I keep pushing my wife to get our fireplace checked out and functional.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Oddly enough, I hate to throw out plywood.
    I hate throwing out plywood cut-offs because it is no fun to break a 6"x12" piece out of a 4'x8' sheet.
    AKA - "The human termite"

I keep mine in a trash bucket. It's less civilized than most of you guys, but I realized that after a while, I was keeping a lot of things that I never really was going to use and spending too much time thinking about the stuff. When it gets too full, then I just throw a whole bunch of it away, or use it to mix epoxy on, etc.

Well, I know that roll around thing works because in first grade we had one for our building blocks. I have some quality scraps that I bought long ago at sales held by families of deceased woodworkers ,they will probably be resold when I'm
    gone. Some wood is too good to be used for anything, ordinary stuff can be used or tossed.

I've to a smallish (18x24-ish) tiered bin for wood and a huge (pallet sized bin on wheels) for plywood. I almost never actually use the small stuff I've got saved. On hardwoods, my new thinking is if its too small for the lumber rack, unless its something special, it goes. There's stuff in my cutoff bin that I move here 10 years ago--seriously. Sheet goods are a little more useful when small for shop projects I don't necessarily care about appearance on but under say 18x18 they aren't worth saving a lot of the time. When I'm done with my current project I plan to seriously reduce the amount of cutoffs I have. I want to put together a small sheet goods rack under my outfeed table (could hold maybe up to 2x3 pieces) and maybe get down to just the small bin. I've also got 2 55 gallon plastic drums. All the scrap goes in those. When they get full I burn them, give them to a neighbor to burn, or put a vague ad on CL offering them for free. More and more of my cutoffs are going directly there.