Thread: What's a Grizzly Bandsaw worth?

What's a Grizzly Bandsaw worth?

I guess I'd like to know what's a good price on a used 14" Grizzly Bandsaw? I have found two different models, one is a 1019 and the other is a 555, not an LX, just the plain 555. The 555 has a fence and mobile base, the 1019 has neither.

I don't know how much use I'll get out of it in a kitchen remodel, but just thought I may need to do some resawing on a small scale, just for some cabinet door panels. I do have a Ridgid planer and a Jet 6" jointer if needed to get rough stock down to 1/4" or whatever size is needed to back veneers.

As a last resort, there's also a HF/Central Machinery 14" for around 125 bucks.

I may only be involved in woodworking a few more years so don't know if I should go for an "investment" or not. I have a really nice Bosch portable table saw and a cordless miter saw besides cordless jig and circular saws, etc, that I can use for most common cuts so a band saw wasn't a high priority, and space is at a premium. I guess a good price, or lack of a good price, may finally determine my real needs.

Thanks for any help!

If everything is in good working order, offer half of what they went for new. I think that is not only reasonable and fair, but maybe even generous. Try selling that stuff to a second-hand shop like a pawn shop, and they won't even go near half. Used is used. I'd love to sell my car for more than half what I paid for it, but no dealer will touch that. Look for motivated sellers.

1/2 to 2/3 of current new price is the norm. A few premium brands will go for more than that.

Thanks for all your comments.

I think the 1019 has rust on the table. The HF 14" comes with several blades. The 555 has a fence, miter unit and mobile base.

I keep seeing magazine ads for the 555LANV Special Edition 30th Anniversary model for $445...

Would anybody consider any of these "a real steal" at their prices?

HF/CM 14" @ 100-125
    Grizzly 1019 @ 200-225
    Grizzly 555 @ 300-350
    Last edited by Mark Kay; 09-11-2013 at 1:13 PM.

Grizzly 1019 has been discontinued but parts are still available. $200 seems a little high. I read great reviews about 555 but that price is half as the original price of a new Grizzly 555. The price is high in my estimation. But it's not a bad price if it is in nice shape and if you don't need to buy any extras for it.

I have the Grizzly G0555LX which is identical to the 30th anniversary edition except for paint. I was lucky to get the LX version for $445 when introduced and think it is truly an amazing bang for buck. I would highly recommend the 555LX or 555LANV bandsaws. The LX resaws with zero drift. It's smooth, quiet and I have had no issues to date.

Thanks for everybody's comments. The delay was because some things became unavailable and now there are different bandsaws replacing those three.

Actually, the HF 4-speed bandsaw is available NEW after all discounts and tax, if I can find it in a local store, for about $300. It runs at 568, 1080, 1582, 2529 FPM with a 7.1A 3/4HP motor. It has a 14" table.

I've found a Rockwell 14" equipped with the riser extension for about the same price, but it needs going through, it hasn't been used in about 10 years. I'm hoping to try to get it in the 200 area, maybe a little less. Is this still too high?

Next is a brand new 2-speed Porter-Cable 14" (think more like 13.5 or 13.75") I think I can get for about $390 including tax. I didn't know P-C sold bandsaws. It's listed as a 1.5HP 10A 120V induction motor that can run at either 120/240. It has a 16" table and it lists maximum blade width as 1/2". It runs at 1630/2730 FPM.

Does anybody recognize the P-C 2-speed or the HF/CM 4-speed bandsaws?

Last is the infamous 18" Jet with the flex problem. The owner inherited it, says it looks like new, and offered to sell it to me for around $1500 (before I showed him a place still selling them new for around $1100 and before I told him many here think even $400 may be too much.)

So now I guess I need to know if any of these are worth buying... and what's a good price for a Rockwell 14" that needs to be gone through and what to look for.

Any help is RE-appreciated!
    Last edited by Mark Kay; 09-26-2013 at 10:09 PM.

You don't EVEN want to ask me how happy I am with my G0555LX.
    Best bang for the buck out there in the world of band saws.
    Get good blades.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Mark,

I don't quite understand your thinking in all this. You're looking at some pretty low end bandsaws but then mention a $1000+ Jet. Buy the Grizzly 555LANV at $445 plus freight and be done with it. Use it and enjoy. When you're finished with it, I'm sure you can sell it at a reasonable price. Good luck getting much money when selling any of those HF, PC or Rockwell saws in the future. Buy a few inexpensive Olson blades which will do wonders over the stock blade for very little money. There is a very good Youtube video on fine tuning any bandsaw. I followed the simple steps and have great success every time I run my 555LX.

Personally I wouldn't touch the HF, PC or Rockwell. I read too many comments from owners of HF and PC that don't instill much confidence. I look at buying tools to use tools not to have a work in progress in the tool itself. The Rockwell sounds like a work in progress.

Also, as far as I can tell, the HF and PC saws do not come with a fence. The fence on the Grizzly is included, of excellent quality and for me quite accurate. 50/50 chance you have to return the HF. Reviews of the PC talk of assembly oddities. Rockwell, well they don't make anything any more than the little table top saws now that I can find, so buying used means you may need a parts/maintenance source.

Grizzly tools may not be the end-all-be-all, but in my experience, customer service has been excellent (in replacing a jointer fence) and the tools have performed at or above my expectations, bandsaw, jointer, and dust collection. I research tools extensively before buying, but I digest all the info and just go with it. I have a Porter Cable power planer which works wonderfully, but after viewing their bandsaw in person at a Lowes, I was not impressed at the quality. HF, oh heavens, no comment other than I buy things from them that they can't screw up like nitrile gloves.
    Last edited by John Schweikert; 09-27-2013 at 11:16 AM.

For $200, that Rockwell is a deal, even if it needs some work. Fixing machines is the best way to get to know them. Fixed up, it could look like this.
    0617021124.jpg
    I would never own a HF BS.
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 09-27-2013 at 11:31 AM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
    You don't EVEN want to ask me how happy I am with my G0555LX.
    Best bang for the buck out there in the world of band saws.
    Get good blades.
    Bill
    Thanks Bill, duly noted!

Quote Originally Posted by John Schweikert View Post
    Mark,

I don't quite understand your thinking in all this. You're looking at some pretty low end bandsaws but then mention a $1000+ Jet. Buy the Grizzly 555LANV at $445 plus freight and be done with it. Use it and enjoy. When you're finished with it, I'm sure you can sell it at a reasonable price. Good luck getting much money when selling any of those HF, PC or Rockwell saws in the future. Buy a few inexpensive Olson blades which will do wonders over the stock blade for very little money. There is a very good Youtube video on fine tuning any bandsaw. I followed the simple steps and have great success every time I run my 555LX.

Personally I wouldn't touch the HF, PC or Rockwell. I read too many comments from owners of HF and PC that don't instill much confidence. I look at buying tools to use tools not to have a work in progress in the tool itself. The Rockwell sounds like a work in progress.

Also, as far as I can tell, the HF and PC saws do not come with a fence. The fence on the Grizzly is included, of excellent quality and for me quite accurate. 50/50 chance you have to return the HF. Reviews of the PC talk of assembly oddities. Rockwell, well they don't make anything any more than the little table top saws now that I can find, so buying used means you may need a parts/maintenance source.

Grizzly tools may not be the end-all-be-all, but in my experience, customer service has been excellent (in replacing a jointer fence) and the tools have performed at or above my expectations, bandsaw, jointer, and dust collection. I research tools extensively before buying, but I digest all the info and just go with it. I have a Porter Cable power planer which works wonderfully, but after viewing their bandsaw in person at a Lowes, I was not impressed at the quality. HF, oh heavens, no comment other than I buy things from them that they can't screw up like nitrile gloves.
    John, thanks for your reply. The reason for lower "priced" ("pretty low end", as you say) is many. FIRST, I don't know if I'll need a bandsaw. I am taking on a major kitchen remodel, but am using a decent portable Bosch table saw & Bosch routers, a Grizzly router table, a new JET 6-inch jointer, a HF Dovetail jig, a Kreg K3 Master System, and a Ryobi One+ Six Pack (18V cordless miter saw & other tools, the only thing not new besides a Ridgid Planer.)

SECOND, I really should mention before going further that I have NO garage and NO basement. And THIRD, I'm VERY income limited. So I'm not furnishing a nice woodworking shop--I don't have room for one! I'm doing this in a first floor room in my house that I can't empty out. The house has carpeting over the original hardwood flooring, which by the was was put directly down over the joists back in those days, without any underlayment. I'm not sure how wise it would be putting an 8-inch jointer next to a 350lb fridge, all on back-relieved 3/4" tongue & groove.

FOURTH, that means the small kitchen must still be used as one and 2/3rds of the kitchen table has bills, paperwork, mail, the breadbox, etc. The traditional "dining room" that never was became the living room, now with the Six Pack, the router table, and some full 30-gallon rubbermaids, 2 of which are acting as a makeshift overflow/notes/articles/folders/assembly table. The big dog crate is currently in the kitchen and the new fridge got pressed into duty, but in the "parlor", which is now the room with a new HF workbench, the planer, plywood, lumber, more filled rubbermaids, more tools, etc. The new jointer is in the front hall on coasters to move it as needed.

As for the $1000+ Jet BS, it was really a long shot anyway--there's a lot of bad rep about it (it's the old style, not triangular beam) so I asked if it would be worthwhile to pursue if it was dirt cheap (~$400-$500?) so that's why I threw it out there as an option. Looking back now, I don't think I can pull off a brand new G0555LANV.

I doubt this post cleared up how a $30,000 kitchen remodel can be done for under $10K including new appliances but I gotta carry on with the plan...

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    For $200, that Rockwell is a deal, even if it needs some work. Fixing machines is the best way to get to know them. Fixed up, it could look like this.
    0617021124.jpg
    I would never own a HF BS.
    Thanks, Myk. I may go look at the Rockwell this weekend. It looks a lot like that one, but it may be a rear motor, not bottom motor. I don't know if that gives any indication of age or not, but the motor sticker looks like it may be replaced. My only concern is it's just 1/2 HP.
    2013-09-17 22 25 28 (2).jpg2013-09-17 22 29 21 (2).jpg

I have the Lonnie Bird book and will go over his checklist to look at before leaving.

An old Delta/Rockwell is going to be a pretty darn nice bandsaw. I am looking for one to replace my 12" sears bandsaw.
    Paul

Thanks everybody!

I guess I need to change this title to what's a Rockwell bandsaw worth?

I went with the Rockwell with the 6" extension, it came with about 5 or 6 extra Olson 105" blades, new in sealed boxes, and a new packet of "Cool Blocks."

It has the base with the cam pedals where castors pop out when you step on the pedals. The previous owner cut a sheet of steel to fit as a shelf that sits on the base crossbars.

The fence has long steel or cast iron rails. I don't know if this is original or something aftermarket. The rails only have 2 holes each as if designed to match the tapped holes in the table, and the edges are tapered, almost to a rounded point that matches the perpendicular part of the fence that forms a T and little faucet-type knobs that control tabs that capture the rails, the tabs have the same type angle but inverted, like two opposing 45 degree angles. The rails I haven't measured but guess at least 3ft long. The actual fence looks like maybe 1/2-5/8" thick heavy, shiny alloy steel about 3" tall.

All I've done so far was go thru adjusting all the guides, and adjusted the blade track on the upper tire and thrust bearing distances. I didn't check the stock light nor the magnetic lamp.

It is missing the rear blade guard--the one that looks like a flat leaf spring. The bolts are still there.

According to the #s, it's a 28-243, about 30 yrs old.

It was $195.