Thread: Has anyone shipped freight before?

Has anyone shipped freight before?

I am about to ship 33 boxes of dvd cases to a business and am not sure if I need to secure them to the pallet. I just stacked them up on a pallet (825 lbs, 46 L 46 W 46 H) and wrapped a lot of stretch wrap all around. Do I still need to attach the shipment to the pallet with some sort of straps? If so, can I get those at home depot cheap?

YES, you do. It will be a long, very bouncy ride for them. I recommend re-enforcing the outer corners with heavy cardboard before wrapping. That will help to keep the stack together. Even blocking around the cases at the pallet to prevent the cases from shifting on the pallet isn't overdoing it. We receive shipments all the time where the cargo has tried to bounce off the pallet and up against other freight in the trailer, sometimes resulting in damaged freight.

John

I used to run a shipping/receiving department. We shipped tons(literally) of stuff with only shrink wrap. Tied the shrinkwrap to the pallets to begin, wrapped around the pallet corners and the load. If done properly, it is better than straps!

We ship displays all the time and always strap them even though they are on our own semis shrink can rub and tear