Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Steel City 35915G, 3HP, 220V, w/50" fence... $800?!?!

congrats on saw and shop, my only advice would be to get or build good work bench., will make life so much easier in shop

Quote Originally Posted by eugene thomas View Post
    congrats on saw and shop, my only advice would be to get or build good work bench., will make life so much easier in shop
    I'll finally have the room. Now, if I could find the time. I'll probably build the roubo workbench eventually.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

More is DEFINITELY more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Dunn View Post
    My shop is complete... I signed the lease last night and I'm all moved in...

LOL!!!
    Congratulations, Michael! That's a big step, and you seem to have the boundless energy to make this work. Fun to see you sharing your progress on SMC as you do this. Look forward to future reports, so we can all make the journey with you. "Success has many fathers..."

David

you bought a scissor lift too?

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Tarantino View Post
    you bought a scissor lift too?
    LOL!!! No. The owner is having some work done in the next space over from me. The contractors are leaving the lift in my space until hopefully no longer ban Friday.

Anyone know how much used forklifts to for? My lumber yard delivers with a 53' trailer. I'll have to unload it by hand unless I have a forklift. Probably prohibitively expensive At this time.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

Michael,

I use to own and operate a lumber kiln many years ago and we unloaded tractor trailers manually in those days. I was much younger then however I still made a mistake losing so many hours lifting and moving lumber without a machine. Now I own a JD Tractor with a front end loader and pallet forks which I use to do 99% of my lifting, moving and unloading chores. If you can't find a deal on a used forklift you might be able to find a tractor in your local area.

One more thing.....get one of the mini pallet jacks from either Grizzly or Northern Tools. The mini will handle 1100 pounds and stores easily under or behind just about any machine since the forks are only 48" long. The hydraulic tables from Harbor Freight or Northern Tools are also worth a look, I own four of them that I use almost constantly for a variety of tasks.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Dunn View Post
    Anyone know how much used forklifts to for? My lumber yard delivers with a 53' trailer. I'll have to unload it by hand unless I have a forklift. Probably prohibitively expensive At this time.
    My experience on used fork lifts is that they are for sale because they are worn out. If you find one at an auction or something due to a plant closure, maybe it is worth it, but be preparied for the maintenance costs. We leased a lot of ours and had maintenance contracts on the others. We had a fleet of about 16-18 in a foundry environment, so we were very rough on them.

It may be worth it to rent a forklift and a pallet jack (or buy a pallet jack as Keith says) for the move though depending on how your access is to the new shop. I thought I saw where you said it had a loading dock? Probably not worth it for a hobbyist, but since this is your business, you can put a $$ amount to your time.

Most bulk lumber deliveries that I have seen was side loaded on a flatbed. If you have a dock, it will take some finess with longer boards?

Good idea Keith! I didn't even think of that. A pallet jack will do just fine I believe.

@ Michael: I have a 14' door, but its not a dock.

Actually, a pallet jack may not help me at all. I'll see tomorrow. It should've been here today, but someone left the order as will call min spite of him even asking me if I can accept a 53' trailer.

So frustrating.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

I was thinking pallet jack for your move, not for unloading lumber. Since it is not a dock, you can drive in with the lift.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael W. Clark View Post
    I was thinking pallet jack for your move, not for unloading lumber. Since it is not a dock, you can drive in with the lift.
    Cool. That'll surely help out tomorrow with the move. My buddy, who is helping me tomorrow, is snagging one off CL for me in the AM and heading over.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------