Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chainsaw sawmills

Brian,

I got started in this 2 months ago using a Husky 385XP and Logosol TimberJig. Yes, it is hard work, but I dont have to go the gym. An electrical company easement about a mile from my house has produced about $700 worth of cherry, $100 in red oak. And there are still logs on the ground waiting to be cut. Most sawyers wont touch these kind of logs for fear of metal. 1 12"x12" square piece of cherry pays for 3 gallons of gas, which is enough to cut all day.

I plan to build my own mill simliar to the Jonsered 2185 onto which the 385XP will mount. I will be able to store in my garage (standing up against the wall), and still be able to park the cars in there.

There are lots of logs around, but many times only small quantities. Since I cant move them, I find logs in locations that permit cutting them where they lay.

Regards,

Ted

I think Ted makes a good point, most of the other replies seem to compare what Brian is proposing to a commercial sawing operation. I certainly wouldn't want to try and earn a living with a 100cc chainsaw and a TimberJig or Alaskan sawmill, but for occaisional sawing of your own lumber, I think they're fine so long as you know what you're getting into.

I've been looking long and hard at a personal sawmill, and LogoSol looks like the best entry-level option (timberjig + used Stihl 066, around $800). Every owner I've corresponded with loves them. If you're going to go that route, consider some additional items you'll want to look at, like a kiln. I don't know what kiln-drying costs as a service, but as a part of the value-added chain in processing trees to lumber, it is more profitable than sawing. Plus a solar kiln that'll dry close to 500bf of 4/4 hardwood can be built for around $100, there's an abundance of plans but I like the one on WoodWeb's site.

Ted,

I thought LogoSol sold a rail set that let you expand the Timberjig into one of their portable mills?

As I first mentioned, I have seen the logosol mill at work and I think its a good solution for what it is. The down side is that it is relatively expensive for what you get. And you dont get the chain saw with it. Chain saws are always a pain to work on. Every spring we go through the ritual of throwing out the old fuel, mixing new fuel, cleaning off the saws, tuning the motors, adjusting the bars, sharpening the chains and inspecting for damage, etc. And excessive cutting of lumber with a chainsaw is plain hard on the saws. Period. And large bore Stihls and Huskys are not cheap to replace.

If this is the direction you wish to go you may wish to build your own logosol. They are brain dead simple and $150 to $200 dollars worth of structual steel is all that it would take. Granted the logosol is aluminum which makes it lighter to move about. But aluminium is more expensive and harder to weld if welding is needed. If I were to use a chain saw to do this, I would look into this setup. Logosol also has an electrical chainsaw which uses a very powerful 3 phase motor to replace the chain saw. If you cut at home, this would be the way to go. Just hook it up to your phase converter and off you go with none of the issues of running a chain saw.

As I have mentioned, I am building my own band mill. The worst item on my list of parts is the motor. Finding 4 cylinder diesels cheaply is not easy! The second worst problem is the rockford clutch assembly. Also not easy as there are not many used and they are a bit pricey when ordered. The third pain in the posterior part is the main beam. This is a rectangular tube about 25 feet long with 1/4 inch sidewalls. The cross section is at least 4 inches by 8 inches or 4 inches by 10 inches. Its not often something you find in the scrap metal yards! This will have to be a special order. The remaining metal parts are not not that significant. The trailer parts can be bought online or from outfits like redneck trailer supply.

Also note that the hydraulic system on a mizer type mill runs only when the head rig is parked at the front of the machine. It is also the only time that you need to maintain hydraulic flow to move logs onto the saw deck or to roll cants on the saw deck or to adjust your toe boards. So I am not really missing out on anything from a hydraulic point of view when the head rig is in motion.

So when all is said and done, I hope to have a bit less than $5000 dollars invested in my saw mill. It will also be comparable to an LT70 type mill whose cost is already above $35,000 to $40,000 dollars. If I purchase a new logosol mill with the required 066 class saw, I am looking at close to $3000 dollars. More if I get the expansion kits needed to allow me to cut a 20 foot log. You also need to consider what your pay back period is going to be like. I would have to cut one serious pile of lumber to payback the cost of an LT70 plus the finace charges associated with doing so. My number one goal to obtain an inhouse, stable supply of beetle kill, blue stain ponderosa and lodge pole tonque and groove lumber. I use a bunch of it and its hard to come by on a steady basis. I know where there are lots of logs but commercial loggers and mill shops dont wish to deal with it. Lastly, this is a fun machine to both build and use. And if this item of entertainment can also provide an adjunct cash flow, so much the better.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

chainsaw sawmills

I use a Alasken with my Sthil 066 and a ripping chain. it works great but it is a lot of work. The quality of cut is much better than you would think. I use mine for those special logs that need to be quartersawn etc. Be aware that it is addictive.

Charlie
    Charlie Jones

Being from NZ we have a different slant on portable sawmills, so I thought I'd do a quick post on my set-up. The Woodmiser type bandsaw is very unusual here. Most portable mills are small circle saws, with either 2 blades or one swinging blade, with varying amounts of automation.
    Probably this is more due to the log types than anything else. Mostly big softwood logs in rugged country.
    Log handling is another issue again, logs are heavy things . Small logs I will drag / roll to the saw, but once they get over 2 ft dia it's simply quicker and easier to move the saw to the log.
    I've attached a picture of my mill running, sawing a small Port Orford Cedar log at a friends farm. This is an older model Peterson swingblade mill. Power is from a Stihl 090 chainsaw, newer ones use Honda or Kohler 4 strokes. Construction is all aluminium and stainless steel for durability. We hauled the mill in to this spot on a small trailer behind a quad bike, and took the boards out the same way. The mill is able to handle logs up to 5 ft dia and 20 ft long, which is pretty good for a rig as portable as this. Small logs are easy enough to saw, but not as productive as you spend more time setting up logs and less time with the blade in wood.

I do agree with the guys that are using Alaskan type rigs with decent saws, they have their place and they will cut very good quality boards. Great for recovering timber from difficult to access places.

Cheers

Ian
    Attached Images Attached Images

I had several small mesquite logs (10'-12" dia.) that I wanted to turn into lumber for small projects. Since I didn't want to spend a lot of money for an Alaskan mill or Logosol, I opted to make my own using the chainsaw I already had and some aluminum tubing from HD. It's not especially elegant, but it works.

Since the pictures were taken, I've added another cross piece in the center to improve stability. There is plexiglass between the tubes to keep hands away from the blade.

It's difficult work. And it demands a lot of the saw. I did one log in 5/4 slabs. The next few I did much thicker slabs which I can later resaw on the bandsaw.

Someday I'd like to pickup a logosol, but just to give lumber making a try, this was a decent, inexpensive start - at least for me.

Regards,
    Shannon
    Last edited by Shannon Grizzell; 05-31-2005 at 10:51 PM.

7. This won't be much help because I can't remember the name of the company. But 7 or so years ago I took down several trees, when I was living outside of Boston (I had to rake 100 bags of leaves each fall). Anyway, one of the companies that manufactured one of the small chainsaw bandmills was just two towns away, Woburn if I remember right, and they would rent one at a pretty reasonable rate. So I coerced a friend to help me and over the course of a long weekend we sliced 4 pretty good sized trees.

That was the good news! The bad news was it was hardest most painful thing I have ever done. Unless you have a way to roll the tree up to a reasonable height you're working squatted over or on your hands and knees. The designers of this contraption had no concept of ergonomics or human engineering. Every place you could put your hands was either sharp or hot, the exhaust was pointed right at your face. And the vibration was so bad you could get instant carpal tunnel syndrome.

That said, my friend and I split several hundred board feet of maple. Some of it curly!

John Zimmerman

Hello Brian....I have the Alaskan MKIII and the mini-mill and have found them to be quite valuable around the home, in the neighborhood, or just out and about.....if I see a log that I think will provide good lumber then I have the means to save some money and saw on the spot....I believe it is very economical "IF" you already own a good saw....something at least 70cc....more is better though.

While some may point out a few hidden costs' as a reason against it, I think the cost is the very reason we chainsawyers start this way

...I started with a used Husqy 394XP that I got for $350.00. I had 5 treed acres so I needed a saw anyway...the Alaskan was $140 for the 24".....all the other accessories I pretty much had...angle iron from an old bed frame and a 2x8x10 plank as a slabing rail. A modified ripping chain is easy to make....All under $500 and the first day I went out and cut a Doug fir that had fallen in my back yard....It was 60+ ft before there were any branches.....I bucked it to managable sizes and was able to mill over 300bf before I was too hot and sweaty and tired, very tired, to continue. The rest I left for another day. That is something you can do with your own little mill...do a little now, do a little later...your own schedule.

As a hobbiest, I would say that a chainsaw mill attachment is worth having if you have access to a variety of tree spieces, you already have, or can get cheaply, a good saw and you "Want" to mill some lumber not "Have" to mill....that DF yielded almost all clear lumber...even with plain sawing as I did, there is some very straight vertical grain that is quite expensive if I had to buy it....by the time I finished that tree and moved on to a small stump of Big leaf maple I know I had more value in lumber than I spent in equiptment....but the time and effort?....since it was my day off I was still ahead....the maple turned out to be spalted and just slightly quilted as well....how much is walnut worth to you?...downside is having to wait to use the wood if you don't have a way to dry it....I took the maple to a local sawyer and he charged me .50 bf to add it to his next kiln load. Some of it I just traded to him for some dry and ready stock (a deal I still make with him when I mill something quick and thick).

Here are some websites to look at that will help you make an informed descision
    http://home.nc.rr.com/cquade/milling.htm

http://www.procutportablesawmills.com/index.html

As far as paying for a bandmill to come out for one log, where's the fun in that?

By the way..what they say about it beng addictive? it is so true...I have since bought a 36" Alaskan, the mini mill and just as I was going to start to build my own I lucked into a Jonsered chainsaw mill on a trailer (without saw) for $500 !!!! Local equipment rental bought by a national chain and told the boys to get rid of anything that wasn't available /common to all stores in the chain....managment can be so dumb at times ....anyway, the one Shannon made is just right for the occassional user....try it out with a rented saw and you'll know if milling your own is right for you.

Best of luck,
    Greg

James,

Yes Logosol does sell a TimberJig rail kit called the Big Mill. It costs $595. It think it would minimize the setup time required for 1st and 2nd cuts, but doesnt really address the problem of having to push the saw the entire time, and being bent over. The Logosol Woodworkers Mill (expensive) and a Jonsered/Procut style frame with carriage addresses these issues. I think the ticket would be a Jonsered style mill that is light enough to move to the logs, quickly level, and roll the logs onto it and cut away.

You folks have given me a lot to consider and i thank you!

At this point i have no plans to saw logs for money, rather i'd like to try and get a bit of usable wood out the stuff laying in the woods that surround my home. I have a respectable 18" chainsaw that's in great shape and it may be able to handle some light milling for a short time. That should show me if i want to keep cutting or not.

As for drying, there's still a bit of room in my basement shop and i've got a good sized 3 walled shed outside that can be used for a couple hundred board feet if needed. My only concern with that are the wasps and such that seem to thrive in great numbers around here. Not to mention those darn wood borer bees which are currently eating the cedar siding on my house. I guess if i cover it well and check on it from time to time it would be fine.

Anyway, i'll do a bit more shopping around to see what my options are and then make a purchase. Who knows, i could get hooked!

Thanks again!!
    Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Lumber milled with chainsaw

Lumber milled with chainsaw

i think most points have been covered - yes the bandsaw mills are more efficient, if the price is right then chainsawing just isn't worth it, really can't make money doing it, but you can make beautiful lumber. chain sawing is a lot of work - but it is pretty fun. i've cut 1000's of feet with an alaskan mill - could make a 36" slab with double ended stihl 090's. that was plenty of power and did use a rip chain. the one good thing about the mills is that they can go where the log is - if it's unaccessable by truck.
    rather than sawing each board we ended up cutting cants and hauling them out for resaw on a bandsaw.
    if you do get one - i have a great technique for truing up the 1st cut - no matter how long the log is - send me an email.

jerry
    jerry

Why not post it here?

Quote Originally Posted by jerry cousins
    if you do get one - i have a great technique for truing up the 1st cut - no matter how long the log is - send me an email.
    jerry
    I run an Alaskan too and I am interested in knowing how to true up the first cut. Couldn't you post it here? There is also a procedure in an old issue of fine woodworking.

Thanks
    Tom

I paid around 30 cents a bd ft for about 8000 bd ft of white oak, and have no regrets. The only thing I didn't like was that at knotty areas the blades that were being used "glanced" around the knots so those areas were much thicker in many instances making it hard to true the boards up. Was this due to not enough tension, improper blade, or is this normal?

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Porter
    I paid around 30 cents a bd ft for about 8000 bd ft of white oak, and have no regrets. The only thing I didn't like was that at knotty areas the blades that were being used "glanced" around the knots so those areas were much thicker in many instances making it hard to true the boards up. Was this due to not enough tension, improper blade, or is this normal?
    Riding up over knots can be an issue of a dulling blade or it could be a matter of feeding too rapidly. A good sawyer will either adjust the feed rate or change blades.