Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: VFD...no joy so far...

If you haven't already sent it back, Bill Summerlin, a member here recently put an FM50 on a PM90. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...h-vfd-question Maybe he could be of some help with programming the unit, etc.

David,

Before you send it back, post a clearer and larger picture of the line input terminal block. I cant tell from the pic you posted, but it appears that you have 2 hot wires, a neutral and ground from the switch hooked to the VFD. There is no neutral used if it is 230V 1-Phase in.

Larry

"...it appears that you have 2 hot wires, a neutral and ground..."

I originally had it connected as you describe. Then I was informed that the two "hot" wires are supposed to be connected to L1 and L3 with no neutral used. So it was reconnected that way. Afterwards, the condition was the same with no voltage at the output terminals. That's the big problem. There is some current flowing to the motor but it's minimal. The sound of something in the motor spinning up remains and that is a mystery because nothing should be spinning except the shaft which does not turn but gets locked up as if it wants to turn but doesn't have enough power. The VFD is going to have to go back to the vendor because there is definitely a problem with it. I was on the phone with tech support at FactoryMation and we went through the whole setup procedure including running the frequency up to 60. The sound from the motor increased as the frequency went up but at no point did the motor shaft start to turn. Output voltage was measured across T1-T2 and T2-T3 and there was no measurable voltage. So something is amiss in the unit itself. While I'm fighting with the vendor to get a properly working unit, I still have to deal with the fact that I ended up with a 5hp motor when I thought I was buying a 3hp motor. My own stupidity! I am taking the motor to a shop to get checked out to make sure it is working properly. Then I'll try to sell it or trade it and get a 2 or 3 hp motor and hopefully it will all come back together in short order. Right now it's very frustrating and a bit disappointing because it seemed like this was sooooo close...

Thanx to all who have been so helpful in this. People have sent me diagrams, specs, even a printout for a remote control box label. I am most grateful for all the help and sorry I cannot offer a better outcome at this point.
    Last edited by David DeCristoforo; 09-17-2013 at 3:40 PM.
    David DeCristoforo

David,
    Looks like your on the right track. Sorry for all you troubles. I'd be willing to bet, someone, maybe even the shop your taking it to, would love to have and may have a trade for a 5 hp motor.

David,
    You probably have already been through this but lets try anyway.

Did you try the two hots across L1/L2 and L1/L3 with no neutral? I bought my unit several years ago and they may have changed slightly because mine is a 203-C. Try both configurations just in case with no neutral.

Assuming that the functions keys are the same, go into the F-10 program and make sure it is not expecting an external input. Make sure it is set to "0" for "keypad operation". While you are at it, set F18 to 200%

Also check your model number and make sure you didn't get a 403-X instead of a 203-X.. .the 403 needs a 380-480V 3 phase input.