Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rob Cosman Online Hand Tool Workshop

Rob Cosman Online Hand Tool Workshop

So I signed up for Rob's online workshop yesterday. It's pretty cool so far. I don't have a shop right now so I like watching other people do it. Anyone signed up? Thoughts?
    Take the meanest, rustiest plane you have. Clean it, grind and
    sharpen the blade like a razor, and then set it up. Now, with the
    plane set very fine, run it over a scrap of oak. Hear the sound it
    makes, and feel the perfect finish. What a thrill! --John Brown

Blog Entries
    Wait a second, do you mean people might pay to watch me in my shop?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Wait a second, do you mean people might pay to watch me in my shop?

jtk
    I miss having a shop so much, I just might!!
    Take the meanest, rustiest plane you have. Clean it, grind and
    sharpen the blade like a razor, and then set it up. Now, with the
    plane set very fine, run it over a scrap of oak. Hear the sound it
    makes, and feel the perfect finish. What a thrill! --John Brown

@John P. Didnt know about it. Will go look it up. Thanks for the tip.

@ Jim K. You know Jim, thats not necessarily a joke. Youve offered to guide me and many others more than once. I dont know how hard it is to setup such a thing on the net, but Id certainly pay for an online seminar given by you, George Wilson, Mr. Weaver and several others around here. Just a thought. ;

Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 09-16-2013 at 9:48 PM.

I was signed up for 30 days after purchasing a Wood River plane. I thought that it was very interesting and informative.
    Old age can be better than the alternative.

I've been signed up for the hand tool videos since the first one. I find them very informative and really look forward to them. Bob

Can one watch any of the videos with the monthly subscription?
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    @John P. Didnt know about it. Will go look it up. Thanks for the tip.

@ Jim K. You know Jim, thats not necessarily a joke. Youve offered to guide me and many others more than once. I dont know how hard it is to setup such a thing on the net, but Id certainly pay for an online seminar given by you, George Wilson, Mr. Weaver and several others around here. Just a thought. ;

Fred
    Nobody would learn much from me, other than where to not spend their money, but I guess that would be useful (I wouldn't have had the sense to pay attention to my own advice though, even though a lot of it would've been the same as the advice Warren Mickley has given and most have ignored). It's too bad there isn't more video of George around, though.

I would agree with David's comments about Warren & George. George will be speaking at an upcoming Patina meeting.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Nobody would learn much from me, other than where to not spend their money, but I guess that would be useful (I wouldn't have had the sense to pay attention to my own advice though, even though a lot of it would've been the same as the advice Warren Mickley has given and most have ignored). It's too bad there isn't more video of George around, though.
    I've learned a lot from you!

How to use and hone a straight razor...

How to use a waterstone dry to work it to a finer polish...

How to set a chipbreaker...

How to best shop on Ebay...

How waist money by buying expensive equipment and then selling it at an unnecessarily large loss....

and last but not least, how to tick off forum moderators...

(okay the last two I'm joking...errr,sort of...but the first 4 are real things I've learned from you...the ebay shopping advice has gotten me some great tools for a steal!)
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Chris, where's the scoop on Ebay shopping? Pm me some links please.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    Chris, where's the scoop on Ebay shopping? Pm me some links please.
    No links really and nothing that exciting just knowing how/when to bid on certain products, and what strategies to use.

For most things you either want to have searches set up to send you a notification when Buy it Now items are listed so that you can get the ones that are listed a a good price and will go fast.

Other times, you best bet is to watch for auctions that end at weird times. For example I got a type 11 No. 7 with a hock blade for like $50 once because I randomly ran across an auction that was about to end late on a Friday night.

For other things (MF planes in particular for some reason) you want to avoid the BIN listings...you just watch for no reserve auctions. I regularly see very nive MF 9s go for less than $20 in no reserve auctions, but never see them listed as BIN for less then $30. Most recently I one a somewhat rare MF 15 (5 1/2 equivalent) for about $45 on a regular auction that ended in the late afternoon on a weekday. You just kinda need to learn what works best with different products and watch the auctions, and hope for a little luck.

and oh yeah....esnipe.com should become your new best friend.

Of course, now that I've given away all the secrets they'll be no good anymore!
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 09-17-2013 at 5:30 PM.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Thanks Chris. Don't worry, your secret is safe with me. I deleted the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    Thanks Chris. Don't worry, your secret is safe with me. I deleted the internet.
    HAHA! You crack me up Hilton!

I am a subscriber to Rob's hand tool online sessions. I do find them informative but at times I loose patience with them. It takes a half a year to finish a project. In comparison Paul Sellers does a project in about 10 weeks. Paul is once a week and Rob is twice so that is even faster really. Could Sellers add some? I guess so. But I do think I am ready for Cosman to cut more out or I will not be renewing. Basically I do not want to watch a 30 minute segment any more on him prepping a board. He has done that in other projects. Granted he doesn't prep all of the boards for a project any more but is still doing at least one. He is very meticulous and does spend an entire 30 minute session flattening the side of a board at times. It was great the first time but now I just fast forward through it. Just my 2 pennies . John....