Thread: "Creeper" HF

"Creeper" HF

Here is another one of my smaller hollow forms, but on this one... I used an idea of a creeping pattern of piercing instead of piercing the whole thing. This piece of maple burl didn't end up with much figure, so the boring parts contain the piercings and the "clear" portions were left alone.

About 4" in diameter. Tung Oil and Ren Wax.

Comments are always encouraged, thanks!

piercedHF.jpg
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Can't fool me, Scott. You just got lazy and didn't want to pierce the whole thing!

The patience you "piercing" folk have for this embellishment is mind boggling to me. BTW, the form is beautiful, smooth, and clean. Everything seems to flow very nicely on it...but you didn't need me to tell you that...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Scott, another knock-out. Form, finial, finish. All good. I like the partial piercing. It's a creative way to make "boring" wood interesting. Your signature finial is exquisite.

stunner! will your new signature be: " no it's not holey enough yet" soon? :-)
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Cool piece and nicely done.

Well done Scott.
    Fred

Beautiful work, photography too.

Another stunner!! Love it. How thick are the walls?
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Scott, your work is amazing. Gives the rest of us something to shoot for.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Thanks all. Glen the walls on this one is right around 3/16".
    -------
    -------

Well done sir. How many hours have ya got in that piece?
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Thanks Bill. This is a smaller form so it didn't take that long comparable to some of the larger or more complex piercing pieces I have done. I would estimate a 2-3 hours turning and hollowing and not quite 2 hours piercing. The turning part would be faster except for when I have piercing in mind I try real hard to get consistent wall thickness (about 3/16") and I use super light cuts in the final part of hollowing to try to keep from ruining the piece and maintaining the wall thickness.
    -------
    -------

Super nice piece Scott, I like the incomplete "creeping" piercing. It really works well with your style. Impeccable form, and the finial has a bit more flair at the top, I like the overall effect, it's elegant!
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Very Nice, Scott! I like every thing about it and your finial is fantastic.