Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cordless drill batteries

cordless drill batteries

I have had a Ryobi 12 volt cordless drill for about 6 years now. I have 2 batteries for it. Yesterday, I went to change the battery, which had been sitting in the charger for a while. The drill turned very slowly, which was unusual because the battery should have been fully charged. So, I put the battery back in the charger and noticed that there were 2 lights on on the charger. Reading the instructions I found out that means the battery may be gone. But I found it odd that it does this for both batteries. Do both batteries go up at the same time? The other thing is that I really haven't used the drill very heavily. There are times when the drill will just sit for a few months, and then I will use it. So, I don't think I overused it. Is this problem normal? Is it just a case of needing new batteries?

As the typical tool loving man that I am, naturally it occured to me that this would be a good opportunity to buy a new drill. Do you think this would be a good time to buy a new and better drill (perhaps the Dewalt 14 volt that Wood Mag rated so high)? Or would you just get a couple new batteries (if that's the issue)?

Thanks,
    Stefan

Stephan,

Rechargeable batteries need to be treated a certain way in order to ensure long life. Ideally, you should never leave them in a charger more than a couple days, and it is recommended to take them out as soon as the recharge is complete, otherwise, they will discharge slowly in the charger and then retain memory of the lower charge...effectively making them useless. A battery should be discharged as far down as possible before recharging as well. Using a battery til it is "half dead" and then recharging, may cause the battery to only be able half as useful. One of these scenarios is what it sounds like for you.

Sometimes you can "exercise" the battery back to life but it is very time consuming. This is done by putting the battery in the drill and using it heavily til it dies, then charge it...then immediately use it til it dies...then charge it..etc. Do this 4 or 5 times and you may restore it. Some manufacturers sell an exerciser charger that does this automatically, but it's rare since they really want to sell you more batteries.

After 6 years, I would say it's time to get another set of batteries for your Ryobi...Sounds like you've had good success.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Stephan, another procedure I've used to help "restore" some more useable life to batteries is: Run the battery down and stick it in the freezer for @24 hrs. Charge it up, run the battery back down and into the freezer for another cycle. Pull it out after another 24hrs. or so and recharge it. You may be surprised to find a bit "more" battery. My success with this has been consistent BUT, when one has to go to that extreme, chances are the batteries won't last too much longer, so time to consider a new unit.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Hi Stefan - Take a look at http://www.primecell.com/). (Beware!! -- I think their web site is difficult to navigate) They have a lot of good information on batteries. They may be able to help you. I was going to have them rebuild my DW 14.4 for $50+. That was about the same price for a new battery at HD.

My DeWalt 14.4 finally gave up the ghost after 5 years. About every 30 minutes it needed a charge. I got 5 good years out of it tho. Then I saw a new Dewalt 14.4 with two batteries and a charger for $199 at Lowe's. For not a whole lot more than new batteries I ended up with batteries and a drill.

I believe HD and Lowe's have Ryobi drills. You may be able to reasonably end up with a second drill package. I really like having two drills. One for drilling and one for screwing.

Good Luck -- Kevin

The batteries plus stores around here will rebuild cordless tool batteries for about 1/2 of new. My dad just had two Dewalt 14.4v done for $30 a peice....
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Antwarg
    _snip_ Reading the instructions I found out that means the battery may be gone. But I found it odd that it does this for both batteries. Do both batteries go up at the same time? _snip_
    Yes it is odd that both batteries would exhibit the same status on the charger. Very unlikely that both would go bad at the same time. I would take the charger and batteries to Dewalt, or a battery rebuilder to ensuer the charger is okay. The charger may have suffered from a voltage surge (lightning).

99% of all cordless tools use Ni-Cd batteries. The battery is a pack of 1.2v sub-C cells. So for a 14.4v battery, 12 cells. Individual cells in a Ni-Cd battery can develop 'memory' as stated. A complete discharge and recharge is the best way to get long life from your battery. It is possible to 'restore' a pack and Radio Shack and other battery shops offer that service. Cells can be tested using a multimeter on a 10A (yes A not V) DC setting. Momentarily connect a 1.2v cell, and compare the set of cells. The weak one(s) can be found. All this should be left to a battery reconditionong shop to avoid burns etc.

However a new drill and two battery packs are very inexpensive. The cells in the cheap packs are usually low quality. Even so, I it's very difficult to resists.

As for freezing a Ni-Cd battery pack... that sounds like a morphed recommendation for long term storage of ye-olde carbon-zinc batteries, or the stuff of legends .

PS
    Ni-MH suffer no such 'memory' issues and can be recharged at any level.
    Last edited by George Matthews; 05-31-2005 at 11:55 AM.

I recently had two 9.6V DeWalt batteries rebuilt by primcell. The cost was about 1/2 of new ones. More importantly, they used batteries with greater capacity. The rebuilts are fantastic. I will be using them for my other battery needs as need arises. Primcell is also a great resource for how to charge and store batteries.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

I'm no battery expert, but that fact that both are showing bad leads me to suspect the charger. Whatever the case, it seems like the batteries in those things only last about that amount of time.
    My PC is around 7 or 8 years old now. The batteries are definitely not what they used to be. I think I'll have a new one before I finish my Deck.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Stephan,
    I had a similar thing happen a year or two ago. I ended up getting the batteries rebuilt at Batteries Plus (there is one over on Loucks Rd. in York). The batteries in my cordless tools have used sub-C sized cells. I was going to buy the cells and do it myself, but I didn't have the time. To justify the cost, I do have two drills running off of these batteries (4 battery packs total), so it was easier to swallow the cost to keep both running.
    Typically the rebuilders will use higher rated cells than the stock batteries - mAh (milliamp hours) is the rating to look for. The higher the number, the more power/longer a battery will go. I think 1500 - 1800mAh is normal with some cells rated as high as 3300mAh.

Just food for thought,

Wes

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I also think it is odd that both batteries would die at the same time. So, that leads me to believe the charger is messed up. I am sure that I have a little to do with the failure. I have been in the habit, maybe for the past year, of just keeping the spare battery in the charger until I need it. The idea was that it would be ready right when I needed it. But something tells me I shouldn't have been doing that. My woodworking has lessened over the past year or so, therefore the batteries sit longer.

Stefan

Battery technology has really improved over the last couple years. I have the Ryobi 18 volt system. It is my understanding that the newer batteries that are being made today and utilize a quick charge system that many have now, that batteries should only be completely ran down when new, then they should be charged frequently or every day even. New batteries are not prone to the old memory problems of the past. So if you keep them charged fairly well they should stay healthy. If you don't use them for some time then you basically need to start over with a totally run down battery etc. The Ryobi 18 volts system uses a 1 hour charger. For most that don't use their drill/drivers everyday it isn't likely that you will keep them charged everyday. For the last year I have taken mine and charged all 4 of my 18 volt batteries once a week. Recently while building cabinets etc. over a weeks time, all four batteries got a work out. They worked flawlessly, and when one went down I popped it back int eh charger. Now I am back on my schedule of once a week.
    My craftsman EX 12V uses a 8 hour battery charger. It isn't recommended with these that you leave these in the charger for extended periods of time. Likewise, I charge these 2 batteries for 6 hours or so ever week, whether I need them or not.
    Your Ryobi 12Volt is old technology very similar to the Craftsman that I mention above, actually, that Craftsman model is made by Ryobi. It is a good unit, however, like the Craftsman one Ihave, your Ryobi should never stay in the charger.
    I think you will find that most of the new drill drivers will come with much better battery chargers and battery's than your older Ryobi came with. Just get one that uses a quick charge and you should be ok. Note that all brands it is easy to get a dud. What I like about the new Ryobi is that you can get a 2 pack for 39.99. Very affordable, however I don't think the Ryobi is up to daily contractor use but very good for the home woodworker etc.
    I would also add, that charging and storing your batteries in a fridgid area is not good for them. If you are in an area like the midwest that receives very cold weather, I would recommend that you move your charger and batteries indoors for the winter. Even if you follow the recommended charging practice, doing it in a below freezing envioroment will basically ruin or severely deplete there life. Hope this helps.
    Corey
    Last edited by Corey Hallagan; 05-31-2005 at 12:33 PM.

Not all chargers are created equal. Some chargers do just charging, and should not be left connected to a battery - continuous charging can wear out a battery as much as heavy use. Others chargers have a small computer that checks the battery and charges just enough to keep it on full charge.

Batteries are now designed to give full power until "empty" (and then die abruptly), rather than fading gradually (as they did with older technology batteries). Therefore, checking the charge on the battery is not trivial (it is supposed to act "full" most of the time). The newer fancier batteries and chargers are designed to be left on the charger most of the time, and the charger keeps track of things for you.

I don't know any way to tell whether a charger is "dumb" or "smart" other than (heaven forbid) reading the instruction book.

LEAVING THE BATTERY PACK IN THE CHARGER
    The charger and battery pack can be left connected with the red light
    glowing indefinitely. The charger will keep the battery pack fresh and
    fully charged

Well, this is what the instructions to the Dewalt that I am thinking about getting say. So it sounds like it would be good for times that I don't use it.

As you can see, I am leaning toward the direction of buying a new drill. But the suggestions about getting new cells for the battery pack are helpful. I figure the Ryobi may not be worth fixing. But if I have the Dewalt, I would definitely get the packs replaced. The Ryobi has been mostly fine, but there have been times that I wished it spun faster and held the bit better.

Oh darn - tool shopping

Stefan

Stefan, if you're serious about getting into a new drill, this may be a REAL good time to consider a Festool! The older model 12v is on a closeout special right now for $225.00! Great deal on a great drill! It's got plenty of torque, high-tech recharger (fast, too!) and with the option for the different heads, it's a super tool. And even the stock chuck is awesome! I've yet to spin a bit in one of my Festool drills! I've even used it to extricate drill bits left in material by my C-man or Ryobi's! Just something to consider. A bit more expensive than others, but IMHO, worth it! Check w/Bob Marino and he can set you up! NOTE: Usual disclaimer...Not associated with Festool, etc....!)
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Antwarg
    Do you think this would be a good time to buy a new and better drill (perhaps the Dewalt 14 volt that Wood Mag rated so high)? Or would you just get a couple new batteries (if that's the issue)?

Thanks,
    Stefan

I'd go with an Impact Driver over a drill.