Thread: Preventing rust - outside storage

Preventing rust - outside storage

I know it's not the way to go - but I've got my auction results (planar, 2 tablesaws, jointer, sander, RAS, Bandsaw) dropped at the end of a concrete driveway under a tarp in Northern Virginia. It will probably be at least two weeks before I can truck them down to my shop in Mississippi.

They have some very slight rust from being stored inside for a few years,
    example::
    img_1378913981092.jpg
    Any pointers on what I could spray them with to prevent further?
    Thought I'd ask before unleashing the cans of WD40.
    Setting up a workshop, from standing tree to bookshelves

Blog Entries
    Hello George,

First off, I was born in Columbus, MS. Mom is from Eupora and dad from Greenville. Hello my fellow Mississippian! I now live n the US Virgin Islands where I have become an expert on rust. My brand new Veritas shooting plane had rust day 2 because the post office has A/C and when I took it to my hot humid shop it sweated before I got to oil it.

For rust removal I use Permatex NJ1-A Rust Dissolver Gel with excellent results, but when I can get it I use Rust Buster Plus. We use it on boats in saltwater. The stuff is amazing.

The Permatex may leave the metal gray looking but hit it with a scotchbrite or 1500 sandpaper and it's shiny silver again.

For rust prevention I wax with pure carnauba followed by any number of oily barrier coats, which I have about decided anything seems to work but am about to go back to camelia oil because the spray-on stuff is just too messy. Carnauba alone DOES NOT WORK, but Carnauba certainly helps as a base coat.

You can also mix pure beeswax (grated) with pure gum turpentine to make a brush-on wax but it can be a little tacky for regular use. For long term storage you almost can't beat it. It will come off with more turpentine and hot sun or heat gun.
    image.jpg

I don't think there is anything wrong with using wd40 since you are going to give them a thorough cleaning before use. It can be unfriendly to rubber seals and I would use something like marine electrical gel or spray on electrical components. Try and form a tent raised off the machines that would allow air movement as well.

Sounds like you grabbed a bunch of stuff! Where are the pics of it all!!
    Last edited by James Conrad; 09-18-2013 at 11:50 AM.
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

Nice score! I use Boeshield T-9 to keep rust at bay. WD-40 works, but is pretty much temporary. Boeshield works well. My Shopsmith has been delegated to outdoor life, and not rusting much more than it already has...

cosmoline would be best. any thick heavy grease would be my second choice. most thin stuff won't last long in the weather covered or not. this time of year we are seeing a pretty good tempurature swings that would cause condensation and most likely more rust if not protected. cosmoline type stuff would provide protection from the condensation and or dew.

Two weeks under a tarp is going to be lots of trouble. You're going to have lots of rust on surfaces inside the machines. On the ways, in the cutter head, really anything that doesn't have paint on it. I would suggest a climate controlled storeage unit, or as mentioned, cosmoline.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    Nice score! I use Boeshield T-9 to keep rust at bay. WD-40 works, but is pretty much temporary. Boeshield works well. My Shopsmith has been delegated to outdoor life, and not rusting much more than it already has...
    +1 on the T9. I'm in Chicago and it gets wicked humid here. However, I don't believe there is any rust prevention that will stand up against water physically sitting on the surface. T9 prevents rust from forming due to humidity. In my experience all my CI surfaces will rust in a matter of minutes if water drips on the T9 protected surface.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

More is DEFINITELY more!!!

They make bag-like enclosures for cars that have a supply air fan. As long as the air is moving, rust will be abated.
    A portable garage will also work. Just put a fan in it, and zip it closed.
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 09-18-2013 at 3:10 PM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

You might want to try Fluid Film. It is pretty goupee and you will have to remove it later but it will prevent rust.
    http://www.amazon.com/Fluid-Film-Spr.../dp/B001OKBFBS

+2 on Boeshield T9, for your particular situation. Easy to spray on, and easily wiped off when you get the equipment in your shop. WD-40 may be sufficient, and lot's cheaper, but why take the chance if you're not sure when you'll get everything moved.

David

Quote Originally Posted by James Conrad View Post
    Sounds like you grabbed a bunch of stuff! Where are the pics of it all!!
    Here-
    I don't have a pic of the bandsaw yet because they threw it in at the last minute. The way the stuff was stored I couldn't even get specs on the motors. But I'm pretty sure it's mostly 3 phase.

It took 4 of us to about 2 hours to get it all on a uhaul trailer using only a pallet jack and a come-along. The planer was a BEAR.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Setting up a workshop, from standing tree to bookshelves

Ditto on the Boeshield. You can also get heat shrink bags (Uline has them I think), wrap them, and put in a tub of dessicant. We have equipment stored that way in a warehouse and it has worked well for us.