Thread: BLO Shellac WTF

BLO Shellac WTF

Okay I have searched the fourms and I know my answer Is out there but I cant find it. So just wondering if anybody has used BLO, then Shellac, and finish up with WTF. So far I have a coat of BLO on the Black Cherry bowl I am working on. for the Next step was going to be sand with 600 grit then a coat of shellac. Then sand again and finish with 10 coats of the WTF. Does this sound right or would I be Better off sticking with laquer as the top finish. Thanks for your opinions
    Grandpa always told me. "A good woodworker is not one that makes no mistakes. A good woodworker is one who knows how to cover up his mistakes."

Hi Cal. I don't think this series will cause any problem, but why not do the WTF from the beginning? Are you trying to bring out the grain and darken it?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Very good finishing schedule. The BLO and shellac will add some beautiful warmth and depth to the cherry. I would probably go with a couple coats of shellac if you are going to sand back the first coat.

Never a problem to mix or add shellac to oil-based finishes. Why not simply add them together to begin with? That mixture should be fine to brush, rub, or spray on. Shellac over oil is beautiful! As John says, the oil penetrates, giving depth and glow; the shellac gives shine and some protection. Wax or poly over that, and you'll have a fairly sturdy finish.

Pardon my ignorance but:
    What is WTF?
    I thought I've heard EVERY woodworking acronym, but this is one I just can't get my aging brain around.
    Last edited by John Keeton; 09-19-2013 at 9:23 AM.

WTF is WoodTurners Finish that Woodcraft sells. I think it's a water based finish? I've never used it, just read posts about it.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Gilfor View Post
    Pardon my ignorance but:

What is WTF? I thought I've heard EVERY woodworking acronym, but this is one I just can't get my aging brain around.
    WTF is "Woodturners Finish" it is made by General Finishes and comes in a green and purple can. You can get it from WoodCraft or CS-USA and many other sources.
    Last edited by John Keeton; 09-19-2013 at 9:23 AM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

No matter which sequence you use, please be VERY careful with BLO soaked materials. BLO soaked rags are well known for spontaneous combustion. No one wants to burn down their shop.

Frid's Fast Fine Finish.

From the late, great Tage Frid. I have used this finish many times and it works great. I have used BLO, Watco and Tung oil with equal success.

First put on a nice even coat of oil using a rag, then immediately brush on a coat of 3-lb cut orange shellac. Let dry just until tacky, then rub off the excess with steel wool, going with the grain, until all the oil and shellac are removed from the surface. Wipe with a dry cloth and you're done! For a higher shine, add another coat of shellac, without the oil.
    David DeCristoforo