Thread: Drying finished wood

Drying finished wood

I hope this is the right forum for this question
    I have been asked to help with a problem that stretches my imitation. I have supported a craft guild in Colorado for a number of years. I got a call from them this week concerning the flooding. Sadly the building that houses the weaving looms was found to have about 6" of water on the floor that the loom were on. The question is I need some guidance on what to do with the looms so they have minimum warpage and cracking. The looms have a frame on the floor of these looms are made of hard woods. Some are cherry , some are maple to give you some idea of the types of wood. The size of the base at least 4' x 4'. There are about 12 of them.
    My question is what procedure would do you recommend for the recovery. I will be going there in a couple of weeks and hope to have some solutions to try. Speed is no issue, whatever is done i I think that it will at minimum a number weeks to get that wood dried out. With the winter soon to be there the temperatures will drop to less than freezing, the humidity will be very low that my help if it doesn't act to quickly.
    In addition the floor is a combination of hardwood and pine and was under water, I am guessing that there is no hope for it
    Thanks Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Vezzetti View Post
    I hope this is the right forum for this question
    I have been asked to help with a problem that stretches my imitation. I have supported a craft guild in Colorado for a number of years. I got a call from them this week concerning the flooding. Sadly the building that houses the weaving looms was found to have about 6" of water on the floor that the loom were on. The question is I need some guidance on what to do with the looms so they have minimum warpage and cracking. The looms have a frame on the floor of these looms are made of hard woods. Some are cherry , some are maple to give you some idea of the types of wood. The size of the base at least 4' x 4'. There are about 12 of them.
    My question is what procedure would do you recommend for the recovery. I will be going there in a couple of weeks and hope to have some solutions to try. Speed is no issue, whatever is done i I think that it will at minimum a number weeks to get that wood dried out. With the winter soon to be there the temperatures will drop to less than freezing, the humidity will be very low that my help if it doesn't act to quickly.
    In addition the floor is a combination of hardwood and pine and was under water, I am guessing that there is no hope for it
    Thanks Chuck
    My son lives in Boulder and suffered some water damage. I spent a couple of days helping clean up and trying to mitigate potential problems due to 3-4 inches of liquid gunk on their lower level. To start we removed carpet and any standing moisture with wet vacs then got fans running to circulate air to help increase drying. I had a Honeywell DH90 Whole House Dehumidifier which I was not using so took that over to run in the basement area to reduce the RH, add some heat and remove moisture. You might consider some or all of those. to draw out the water. Air circulation and reducing RH are key factors.