Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fluteless gouges

Well, Leo, it might have been 10 or so years ago. I got my first computer about then. Only been turning for 17 or 18 years, can't remember any more. I was doing bevel rubbing cuts with scrapers a while ago. The old Mouse is still around on 2 other sites, and as stubborn about his turning techniques as ever. I still go a round or two with him some times.

robo hippy

Well, now I have seen all kinds of tool shapes used for many uses. Years ago, first teacher said the gouge was the only tool anyone needed, seemed like it was the only tool he enjoyed using, and groaned when he had to pick up a parting tool. Then I was in awe when shown that the skew could do it all in skilled hands. Then flabbergasted again with the bedan. It would seem that any sharp metal used by a skilled person can cut turning wood. Now a fluteless gouge. Does seem like a hybrid of a gouge and scraper. My tool roll is already full. Oh what do I do!

3. Reed,
    Enjoyed the video on the fluteless gouge.
    Is there a reason not to sharpen it by laying it on the platform with flat side down and angle the platform down rather than up?
    Wells
    Donate blood. The gift of life.

If you can set your platform to a negative angle, it will work fine. Tracy Owens, who makes a finishing tool that is like a bigger version of Doug's tool (right hand, left hand and round nose) was sharpening his with the flat side down when I saw him in San Jose. Main reason to do it flat side down would be that it won't roll as you sharpen. I never had any problem with keeping it steady though. I would expect a better burr from having the round side down. Especially with the CBN wheels, you would get more of a burnished effect than a thin wire that might break off. Haven't really tested that out though.

robo hippy

After watching Reed's video, I bought all three. Really like them, but I was having a hard time free hand sharpening them evenly. Came up with these. Don't know why, but the pics are upside down.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's an interesting and nicely done video, robo hippy. I have a Hamlet gouge for sale in the classifieds which is very similar to the one you use 7 minutes into your video where you make some plunge cuts on the bowl bottom. I just do small stuff now with a mini lathe. I'm just getting into carbide tools so I'm cutting way back on my tool inventory. I miss using a larger lathe, but am stuck with space restrictions, now.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

7. Thanks Reed
    Donate blood. The gift of life.

Well, Reed just cost me another piece of my wallet......I just got off the phone with Doug and have a package on its way!! Reed hosted me in his shop a couple of years ago and of course I got to see some of his tools, tecniques and ideas. The fluteless gouge was one of the things that caught my eye, but I had forgotten it until yesterday when I was not getting the results I was looking for in finishing the bowl bottom. BINGO, up pops Reed's video and good bye to my $$$$'.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Belleman View Post
    Well, now I have seen all kinds of tool shapes used for many uses. Years ago, first teacher said the gouge was the only tool anyone needed, seemed like it was the only tool he enjoyed using, and groaned when he had to pick up a parting tool. Then I was in awe when shown that the skew could do it all in skilled hands. Then flabbergasted again with the bedan. It would seem that any sharp metal used by a skilled person can cut turning wood. Now a fluteless gouge. Does seem like a hybrid of a gouge and scraper. My tool roll is already full. Oh what do I do!
    I think you answered your own question, Guy. ...."all in skilled hands." I watched a video of a guy turn an egg with a bedan tool so I had to have one. I've been discovering the carbide tip tools, via Harrison Specialties and Easy Tools. Now I'm partial to them due to the easy learning curved and results I get from them. I'm going to have to sell off some of my other chisels that I probably won't be using any more. I think that some folks just get used to/and skilled with certain tools and continue to use them which makes me envious. My own experience has been that more tools do not improve my turning abilities, but particular tools may--if I learn how to use them.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith