Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who names their tools?

Who names their tools?

I've thought about starting to name my larger tools. Not sure why, but it sounds cool.

Anyone else name their tools? Do you have a convention?

And I'm not talking about calling your lathe "Lathe" and your saw "Saw".

Todd

I have an old jointer that I call " my old jointer".

My wife named them all "too expensive". Maybe a little therapy Todd?

Most of the time I call my band saw #&*^%$@!!! None of my other tools have a name.....yet.

Only tool I named is my air compressor. Big red. Its big and its red, not to creative but.

I have trouble remembering people's names. I'd never remember the names of my tools.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Not me either.

To be honest, I haven't, and that is out of character for me. I often find myself giving inanimate objects names. It really helps to be able to attach a name to something I'm upset with.
    Paul

I named my shaper "The Paolini"............and it is a paolini.....ok so I didn't name it Fred, or Guiseppi, but I do refer to it in the first person. Even crafted a jingle to go with it that I sing to the kids.....to the point that they know it too. I envision it to be the iron embodiment of an Italian craftsman, precise, loyally carrying out its wood working duties like a member of my staff. Other members include "The Old DeWalt", the "Tiny Buffalo" aka minimax shaper, Mr Meber (my bandsaw), and "You Complete POS", aka whichever machine is not working correctly due to my failure to set it correctly but gets yelled at due to my unwillingness to take personal responsibility for the failure in the heat of the moment.................I'm a great boss.

My therapist says its ok to name my tools as long as I don't spend too much time talking to them......

I have a friend who calls all his tools My Precious .Now if you will excuse me I am off to the fight at Helms Deep.

I used to do some blacksmithing and other metalworking with a group of friends. We had an old Lincoln AC/DC welder that was about four feet high and had a rounded top. We called it the Wurlitzer.
    Our shop foreman has several names for one of the CNC machines, none of which I'll repeat here.

A friend of mine has named his tablesaw "The Old B***h". And that was before he opened up his thumb on the machine and ended up with stitches in his hand. I can't repeat here what he calls it now.
    Wood'N'Scout

I am reminded of the movie "The Gods Must be Crazy." One of the characters had a jeep he called "The AntiChrist."
    I had some tools, now gone that deserved that name.
    Paul

Yes!

Whenever one of my tools stops working, I call it "f***ing son of a b****!!!"

I call my kapex miter saw the "budget breaker", my grizzly planer is the "beast" and all tools have at one time or another been called "you POS"