Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Mobile base for unisaw

Best Mobile base for unisaw

This is the older unisaw, around mid. 40's. The Delta 50-273 is made for unisaws, but will not work on the older ones.
    So this being the case, what is the best for the older unisaw.
    I looked at the Grizzly (Shop Fox) 2057A but some report it is not so good, trouble with the casters.
    I am not looking to build one at this time.
    Also to add, I do not have a 50" fence, just a 30, so don't think I need the long mobile base.
    Thanks,
    Tony
    Last edited by Anthony Diodati; 09-21-2013 at 11:14 AM.

I really like the Jet 708119 JMB-UMB mobile base. I have this base on both my Saw and my Jointer/planer. The base can adjust from 24x24 to 34x34 and anywhere in between. I made it smaller for my stuff by just trimming the connecting pieces. It is easy to move my equipment and they are very stable with everything locked up.

Oasis MB800 is the best value in a heavier duty adjustable mobile base. I have Shop Fox that's probably like the Grizzly and one of the wheels broke and compared to the Oasis the frame is flimsy.

after using general, htc and delta 3 wheel bases, this is probably the best mobile base available for a reasonable price:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/208...dware-Kit.aspx

it can be crafted to whatever size one wants and, if two pieces of 3/4" material are used for the base, it'll be rock solid. at $50, it's a good value on a really functional mobile base.

I put my Grizzly 1023 and two Unisaw's on Shop Fox D2057A's at $59.95 ea. (On sale for a few more days, I think) They seem to work just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Loren Woirhaye View Post
    Oasis MB800 is the best value in a heavier duty adjustable mobile base. I have Shop Fox that's probably like the Grizzly and one of the wheels broke and compared to the Oasis the frame is flimsy.
    says Min. Size: 18 x 24-1/2 Inch. Can you cut the long rails to get it a little shorter?
    Where is the best place to buy it?
    Amazon wants $50.00, but they want $30.00 shipping.

what is it with these places?

They all want $30.00 for shipping, I think that is crazy.

I may just try the Shop Fox D2057A.
    Of course the MB800 total cost is only about $10.00 more than the total cost of the D2057A.
    If the MB800 is that much better?
    It might be worth it.
    Last edited by Anthony Diodati; 09-21-2013 at 11:54 AM.

It's pretty robust. The rails are about 1.5"x2.5" cross section. The Shop Fox rails are about .75" x 1.5".

Yes, I think you could cut the rails off. It has about 6 holes at the end of each rail. You could probably cut 3" off each end of a rail and still have it go together without having to drill additional holes.
    Last edited by Loren Woirhaye; 09-21-2013 at 9:11 PM.

OK, I think I need 21 3/4" X 21 3/4" for the uni. I found the MB800 on e bay for $69.00 total cost. I was going to pay about $72.00 for the D2057A Shop Fox from Grizzly.

Quote Originally Posted by Loren Woirhaye View Post
    It's pretty robust. The rails are about 1.5"x2.5" cross section. The Shop Fox rails are about .75" x 1.5".

Yes, I think you could cut the rails off. It has about 6 holes at the end of each rail. You could probably cut 3" off each end of a rail and still have it go together without having to drill additional holes.

I bought an odd sized mobile base on a close-out sale from HTC for my old saw for about $30. When I upgraded to my Unisaw I began to search for a new mobile base to fit it, but the HTC base for it was out of my budget. I was sitting there and looking at the old base, and suddenly realized that this old base and the one that I needed was identical except for the size. The frame was made from 1" X 2" square tubing and I already had some, so I cut up the old base and changed it's size by welding in extension pieces where needed. A little grinding, some gray hammertone paint, and it now fits my Unisaw. It works perfectly. You would have to scrape off some of the paint to see where I extended it. I offer this as a suggested way of making your old base fit your new saw. It was certainly the best way for me.

Charley

Good Job Charles, Trouble is, my old T/S base is the one delta has out where you add your own wooded stretchers. And that base is only rated at around 300 lbs.
    It is the Delta one, that HF had a clone of for a while.
    I did order the MB800 from e bay.
    Thanks,
    Tony

I debated long and hard about the base for my previous saw. Then I found that HTC had the clearance sale (some years ago) and found one in their sale list that would fit it. It was bought more for the price than it's design, but I grew to like it very much. At the end with the saw there are 2 wheels outboard of the metal frame with a knob above each wheel that allows the wheel to be braked by screwing it down. At the table extension end there is one non-locking caster between the front and rear legs of the extension table. It moves around quite easily with the brakes released. With them locked I've never had a problem with the saw moving when it wasn't supposed to. This is the main reason why I decided to modify it, although the price of a new mobile base also affected my decision. I never cared for the Delta mobile base because the pedal occupies the area under the table where I planned to put shelving or a cabinet. The HTC bases use the brake knobs on the non swivel wheels and they are outboard of the frame so they don't interfere with anything under the table. My present shop is very small so I don't move the saw much, but it sure is handy to be able to move it when I want to clean the floor. I just release the brakes and push it wherever I need to. It rolls very easily if I remember to release the brakes.

Could you replace the wood pieces of your present mobile base with some 1 X 2" square pipe?
    Even if it was just bolted together it should be much stronger than it is with the wood pieces. If you have access to a welder or know someone who is a welder maybe you could build a good rigid version out of the parts and some square pipe. My base is just a 1 X 2" pipe frame with some flat plates welded to the corners for diagonal bracing and for the saw feet to sit on. Front and back there are caster type wheels on bolts extending outward from the frame with metal fender pieces welded around them. The brake screw is just threaded down through the top of this fender to contact the wheel. A single piece of pipe then extends from the side of this welded frame to connect to a rectangular box with metal plates on the bottom to hold the leg feet from the saw extension table. An additional piece of metal forms a raised pocket for the caster wheel and it is welded in the center of this box. It is just high enough for the caster to hold the frame above the floor at the same height that the frame is at the saw end (about 3/4"). With a welder and about $30 in square pipe and casters it wouldn't be very difficult to build one from scratch.

Charley

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Lent View Post
    Could you replace the wood pieces of your present mobile base with some 1 X 2" square pipe?
    Even if it was just bolted together it should be much stronger than it is with the wood pieces. If you have access to a welder or know someone who is a welder maybe you could build a good rigid version out of the parts and some square pipe. My base is just a 1 X 2" pipe frame with some flat plates welded to the corners for diagonal bracing and for the saw feet to sit on. Front and back there are caster type wheels on bolts extending outward from the frame with metal fender pieces welded around them. The brake screw is just threaded down through the top of this fender to contact the wheel. A single piece of pipe then extends from the side of this welded frame to connect to a rectangular box with metal plates on the bottom to hold the leg feet from the saw extension table. An additional piece of metal forms a raised pocket for the caster wheel and it is welded in the center of this box. It is just high enough for the caster to hold the frame above the floor at the same height that the frame is at the saw end (about 3/4"). With a welder and about $30 in square pipe and casters it wouldn't be very difficult to build one from scratch.
    Charley
    I thought of that, but someone at OWWM suggested it may be more of a matter of the casters, than the stretchers.
    I do not know for sure myself though.
    I like the Idea of the screw up/down jack screws better (The MB800) than that big center pedal I am often tripping on.
    Thanks, Tony

You need one of these...

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Diodati View Post
    This is the older unisaw, around mid. 40's. The Delta 50-273 is made for unisaws, but will not work on the older ones.
    So this being the case, what is the best for the older unisaw.
    I looked at the Grizzly (Shop Fox) 2057A but some report it is not so good, trouble with the casters.
    I am not looking to build one at this time.
    Also to add, I do not have a 50" fence, just a 30, so don't think I need the long mobile base.
    Thanks,
    Tony
    Attached Images Attached Images

That big pedal was the reason why I did not originally buy the Delta mobile base or another (can't remember the brand) that had a similar pedal. Screw down feet is another possibility and I have used them on other shop equipment, but find the knob type brakes that are used on the HTC mobile base to be easier to use. If you want screw down feet, the ones that are used on pinball machines are very reasonably priced and work well. www.pbresource.com is where I get them.

Charley
    Last edited by Charles Lent; 09-26-2013 at 6:56 AM. Reason: corrected link