Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Mobile base for unisaw

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Best Mobile base for unisaw

This is the older unisaw, around mid. 40's. The Delta 50-273 is made for unisaws, but will not work on the older ones.
    So this being the case, what is the best for the older unisaw.
    I looked at the Grizzly (Shop Fox) 2057A but some report it is not so good, trouble with the casters.
    I am not looking to build one at this time.
    Also to add, I do not have a 50" fence, just a 30, so don't think I need the long mobile base.
    Thanks,
    Tony
    Last edited by Anthony Diodati; 09-21-2013 at 11:14 AM.

I really like the Jet 708119 JMB-UMB mobile base. I have this base on both my Saw and my Jointer/planer. The base can adjust from 24x24 to 34x34 and anywhere in between. I made it smaller for my stuff by just trimming the connecting pieces. It is easy to move my equipment and they are very stable with everything locked up.

Oasis MB800 is the best value in a heavier duty adjustable mobile base. I have Shop Fox that's probably like the Grizzly and one of the wheels broke and compared to the Oasis the frame is flimsy.

after using general, htc and delta 3 wheel bases, this is probably the best mobile base available for a reasonable price:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/208...dware-Kit.aspx

it can be crafted to whatever size one wants and, if two pieces of 3/4" material are used for the base, it'll be rock solid. at $50, it's a good value on a really functional mobile base.

I put my Grizzly 1023 and two Unisaw's on Shop Fox D2057A's at $59.95 ea. (On sale for a few more days, I think) They seem to work just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Tarantino View Post
    after using general, htc and delta 3 wheel bases, this is probably the best mobile base available for a reasonable price:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/208...dware-Kit.aspx

it can be crafted to whatever size one wants and, if two pieces of 3/4" material are used for the base, it'll be rock solid. at $50, it's a good value on a really functional mobile base.
    How are the foot raising pedals on these bases, as far as strength, and also as far as being out of the way. I am forever tripping on the big center pedal like the delta bases have.

http://youtu.be/UBHSHVVoSXQ

I also built my own.
    chris
    "I have worked myself up from nothing to extreme poverty." Groucho Marx
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChrisPineWorkshop

Last edited by Anthony Diodati; 09-28-2013 at 9:17 AM.

question re: Biesemeyer fence.
    Is the rear of the fence designed to ride on the table only?
    So if this is the case, would one need the table board to run the full length of the fence rails?

I am probably going to install this mobile base today, Think I read the old cast iron base is 21 1/2" X 21 1/2" .
    Does anyone remember, or have it written down?
    I was thinking of sizing the base to 21 3/4" X 21 3/4".
    Does that sound about right?

I put the beismeyer fence on, Got the fence working pretty well, I need to raise this machine up to get it on the mobile base.
    Do you think if I put 2 2 X 4's on each side, under the fence rails, I could jack it up there, or do you think that would bend the angle iron fence rails?
    Or should I try to get the 2 2 X 4's on each side, under the table only (Not the wings) and try to raise it there.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Diodati View Post
    I am probably going to install this mobile base today, Think I read the old cast iron base is 21 1/2" X 21 1/2" .
    Does anyone remember, or have it written down?
    I was thinking of sizing the base to 21 3/4" X 21 3/4".
    Does that sound about right?
    ended up with about 21 7/8" X 21 7/8" on the mobile base. The rails of the mobile base must have been a little inconsistent length, as one way was 21 7/8" and another way was closer to 22" But the saw fit well on the base.
    Seems to be a nice sturdy base for the unisaw, although I did not move the saw a lot yet.
    The way I cut the rails was to match the longer rails to the shorter rails, and cut the long rails the way the short rails were. Using the same length and the orientation of the bolt holes.

getting the saw on to the mobile base,
    One guy tilted the saw, and another pushed the base under. Then we sort of walked it forward the rest of the way on to the base.
    It did go on pretty easy.
    Last edited by Anthony Diodati; 10-27-2013 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Loren Woirhaye View Post
    Oasis MB800 is the best value in a heavier duty adjustable mobile base. I have Shop Fox that's probably like the Grizzly and one of the wheels broke and compared to the Oasis the frame is flimsy.
    says Min. Size: 18 x 24-1/2 Inch. Can you cut the long rails to get it a little shorter?
    Where is the best place to buy it?
    Amazon wants $50.00, but they want $30.00 shipping.

what is it with these places?

They all want $30.00 for shipping, I think that is crazy.

I may just try the Shop Fox D2057A.
    Of course the MB800 total cost is only about $10.00 more than the total cost of the D2057A.
    If the MB800 is that much better?
    It might be worth it.
    Last edited by Anthony Diodati; 09-21-2013 at 11:54 AM.

15. It's pretty robust. The rails are about 1.5"x2.5" cross section. The Shop Fox rails are about .75" x 1.5".

Yes, I think you could cut the rails off. It has about 6 holes at the end of each rail. You could probably cut 3" off each end of a rail and still have it go together without having to drill additional holes.
    Last edited by Loren Woirhaye; 09-21-2013 at 9:11 PM.