Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Mobile base for unisaw

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White View Post
    You need one of these...
    Very nice, did you build that ?

Charles, what are the "knob type brakes"

I doubled up 3/4" plywood and attached a set of Kreg casters. My saw is still in the refurb process, but it lets me push the carcass out of the way.

The very best mobile base for a table saw that I have ever seen is the SawStop Industrial Mobile Base. Check the SawStop website. It has a hydraulic lift mechanism that is really effective. I think that the price is around $300.

Yep! I'm tall and needed my tablesaw to be up higher, so I killed two birds by building my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Diodati View Post
    Very nice, did you build that ?

This link shows an updated version of an HTC base that's similar to the one that I have. The orange knobs (mine are black) are the brakes. I only have brakes on the wheels at the table saw end and none at the side table extension end. The swiveling caster there has no brake on my base, but I have never had a problem without it. A braking type swivel caster wheel could be used here, but it might be a bit difficult to access the brake lever if the wheel orientation wasn't right. The bracket that the caster attaches to is bent up and over the top of the caster to maintain the same wheel height as the 2 wheels at the saw end of the base. The whole base frame sits about 1" above the floor. The plates that the saw feet sit on are all welded to the under side of the mobile base so the saw sits inside the mobile base frame but about 1" above the floor.

http://www.amazon.com/HTC-HGS-10-G-T...189162&sr=1-86

On my mobile base the wheels at the saw end have the same tire as used in the castor wheel at the extension end, but they sit in an outboard fender type bracket attached to the outside of the frame with a bolt through the frame and the fender bracket to act as the axle for the wheel.
    The top of this fender has a 1/4-20 threaded hole in it and a standard 3 or 4 wing type knob/bolt is screwed into it similar to this one.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/200...-112-stud.aspx

When screwed down it binds against the wheel, preventing the wheel from turning. When unscrewed the saw and base are free to move.

Charley
    Last edited by Charles Lent; 09-26-2013 at 6:42 AM.

I see, Thanks Charles.
    Again, what is it with the shipping and these places any more?
    I was thinking of this table board, but I guess I'll just make one.
    http://www.mikestools.com/78-851-Bie...tems-Gray.aspx
    But they want $36.00 shipping. (Deal Breaker)
    That is crazy high to me.
    See, that one above is 24" long, the one that came with my fence is only 14".
    Am I missing something here, why would they only give you a 14" table, when, the fence has to ride on the table the whole distance.
    Or am I missing something?
    If it does, I was thinking of just installing the 14" board I have, and just mounting a board on the back rail to support the rear of the fence.
    I don't know if that would work properly or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Tarantino View Post
    after using general, htc and delta 3 wheel bases, this is probably the best mobile base available for a reasonable price:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/208...dware-Kit.aspx

it can be crafted to whatever size one wants and, if two pieces of 3/4" material are used for the base, it'll be rock solid. at $50, it's a good value on a really functional mobile base.
    How are the foot raising pedals on these bases, as far as strength, and also as far as being out of the way. I am forever tripping on the big center pedal like the delta bases have.

http://youtu.be/UBHSHVVoSXQ

I also built my own.
    chris
    "I have worked myself up from nothing to extreme poverty." Groucho Marx
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChrisPineWorkshop

Last edited by Anthony Diodati; 09-28-2013 at 9:17 AM.

question re: Biesemeyer fence.
    Is the rear of the fence designed to ride on the table only?
    So if this is the case, would one need the table board to run the full length of the fence rails?

I am probably going to install this mobile base today, Think I read the old cast iron base is 21 1/2" X 21 1/2" .
    Does anyone remember, or have it written down?
    I was thinking of sizing the base to 21 3/4" X 21 3/4".
    Does that sound about right?

I put the beismeyer fence on, Got the fence working pretty well, I need to raise this machine up to get it on the mobile base.
    Do you think if I put 2 2 X 4's on each side, under the fence rails, I could jack it up there, or do you think that would bend the angle iron fence rails?
    Or should I try to get the 2 2 X 4's on each side, under the table only (Not the wings) and try to raise it there.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Diodati View Post
    I am probably going to install this mobile base today, Think I read the old cast iron base is 21 1/2" X 21 1/2" .
    Does anyone remember, or have it written down?
    I was thinking of sizing the base to 21 3/4" X 21 3/4".
    Does that sound about right?
    ended up with about 21 7/8" X 21 7/8" on the mobile base. The rails of the mobile base must have been a little inconsistent length, as one way was 21 7/8" and another way was closer to 22" But the saw fit well on the base.
    Seems to be a nice sturdy base for the unisaw, although I did not move the saw a lot yet.
    The way I cut the rails was to match the longer rails to the shorter rails, and cut the long rails the way the short rails were. Using the same length and the orientation of the bolt holes.

getting the saw on to the mobile base,
    One guy tilted the saw, and another pushed the base under. Then we sort of walked it forward the rest of the way on to the base.
    It did go on pretty easy.
    Last edited by Anthony Diodati; 10-27-2013 at 12:52 PM.

Here are more pictures of the one I built. Have used it for 4 years now and it's better than anything I could've purchased pre-made.

I'm not necessarily saying that "mine" is the best, just the one you make yourself!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jason White; 10-28-2013 at 10:32 PM.