Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Crochet???

Question A Crochet???

Is there a pattern out there, somewhere? Thinking about adding one to my new workbench. Attach it to the bench in what way?? Angle between the side of the bench and the crochet? Grain directions?? Two lag screws be enough to hold it?? Wood type??

Couldn't find one when I was out diving dumpsters the other day....SDC15817.jpgGot to be better than this, to plane edge grain...
    Last edited by steven c newman; 09-20-2013 at 9:22 PM.

I put one on my bench when installing my Leg Vise, version 1.0

Two lag bolts, wide enough to hold 12/4 stock.
    I chose a board with grain running on a curve, so that there are no "short" stress lines.
    I used Cherry, because that's what I had.

Were I to build another (and I won't, see below) I would make it from plywood.

In retrospect, I doubt grain orientation made as much difference as the thickness of the crochet - no sudden forces are involved.

Leg Vise 2.0 has no crochet - I didn't find it particularly more solid that just the leg vise with a leather jaw liner.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Is there a pattern out there, somewhere?
    Here's a pattern. I think thickness is about 3". I imagine any hard wood would do.
    crotchet.jpg

I like Mike Siemsen's version: http://schoolofwood.com/node/72

Blog Entries
    isn't the whole idea about having one is using it -without- a vise? maybe with holdfasts?

I've thought about adding one so that I can plane edges without having to keep screwing\unscrewing a vise, same difference between clamping a board VS a planing stop.
    I think the trick is that you need to have many holes for dowels below it about 1 inch apart in height and moving along at least half of the bench length so your stock can rests on top of them and be pinched + stopped by the crochet. the "resting holes" are damn nice even if your using a vise I think, for any board of considerable length.

I decided the vise abilities outweigh the crochet, and I have a wagon vise on the right side so the front vise has to be on the left.

I agree Matthew. There is no point in a crochet if you have, for example, a leg vise (or any other type of face vise). A crochet is for use with a hold down or some other support.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Depending on the width of the board a birds mouth works pretty slick for quick work holding.
    the planing action helps hold it and then it simply lifts out, no clamping.

image.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Good, Better, Best never let it rest
    until your Good is Better and your Better is Best

Member of M-WTCA Area D

Steven, what type of bench are you planning on adding this to? I'm curious what your picture is trying to show there. You're going to need a little bit of thickness in your bench top to be able to join the crochet to.

Mark - that is an undeniably useful work-holding concept. The only shortcoming is that in jointing wide boards, the surface to be jointed would be far too high. This is where the crotchet has the advantage; boards captured by the crotchet and "pinned" against the front face of the bench can be positioned so that the edge to be jointed is at about the same level as the bench top.

Mark - I noticed, a little too late, that you addressed this very concern in your opening sentence.

the newest bench that is now in the shopSDC15847.jpgWill be right on that corner, to capture both the 5/4 apron, and the 1-1/2" thick leg. One leg could even hit the 1-1/2" thick top on center of thickness. Plan is also for a metal type of woodworkers vise, $20 @ Blue Borg. then I can add wood faces to the vise when it is mounted on the end of the bench oppisite the crochet. At least that is the plan. Could bring in the leg vise from the old benchSDC12554.jpgWe'll see...
    '

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Schwabacher View Post
    I like Mike Siemsen's version: http://schoolofwood.com/node/72
    Now THAT is clever.
    Loading it up holds it tigher.

If it get's damaged, it slides right off.

Slick

A Crochet is now installed on the new bench. Pictures are over at the workbench thread. Piece of 5/4 by 4 Sycamore was cut up to make it. Chisel and hand planes to make it. Coping saw went "CrazyIvan" on me, when I tried to cut the rounded end. Rip saw went to the right about an inch into the wood for the angled part. BIG timber framer chisel, and a BIG hammer took over both jobs. Ever have the ring on the end of a chisel get almost too hot to touch? This one did. Planes smoothed the flat parts off, but had to beltsand the curve. Don't have a curved sole plane.

Two 1/2" diameter lag screws to hold it in place. Sycamore just don't like to be drilled.. Screws go through the front apron, and through the leg behind it, nice and solid. Tested it out a bit. Tapped it home with a mallet when installing a piece of stock. An "F" clamp (for now) to hold the other end of the board. Big old Stanley #31 was used to edge joint a board or two. NICE! Even tried a Junior Jack plane. No problems.

will look at smaller clamps to hold the other end up. Still saving me coppers for a vise out at Lowes. Steel, quick release one, that I can add wood faces to. It will go on the end, oppisite the Crochet.

Still have some 1x1 Oak blanks sitting around, taking up space. Maybe a few doggies??

DSCF0032 (3).jpgDSCF0035 (3).jpgDSCF0033 (3).jpgnew camera, still learning the how-to of it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    new camera, still learning the how-to of it.
    Many times in my shop a tripod solves these kinds of problems. Sometimes the flash is used, but the look of flash photography often doesn't appeal to me.

At times a piece of scrap of a useable length is used to steady my camera.

One of the appeals, at least to me, of a crochet is the ability to quickly flip and change the work. This is where a shelf or a row of dogs come in handy.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I lover the plane till, off to the left of your bench.

That's what a shop should look like.
    It's a theft-prevention measure; no one else could find things in their proper place.