Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do cars/trucks last longer these days?

Why do cars/trucks last longer these days?

I'm almost 50. When I was growing up, cars had odometers with 5 point 1 digits. If they did 100k miles, the odometer rolled over and started counting again. It seems people didn't expect much out of their cars, 75k was a high mileage car.

These days 75k is just getting going.

What changed? Something about the design of cars must have changed to allow them to commonly go twice the distance of the cars of my youth. Were there one or two things, or was it a combination of factors?

Biggest change was interstate highway system in 50s and 60s. Before that any trip involved sitting at a lot of traffic lights.
    people just did not travel anywhere near as much .Believe it or not the whole thing was presented mainly as a defense measure.

Even though we, oldish type folks( I'm 54), don't want to admit it, cars are made better today due to world market competition.
    Yeah I'd really like to have my 1970 Camaro back, but compared to cars today it had the handling of a supermarket basket, same with my 65 Mustang ( my 1st car ). Of course those cars were very simple in mechanical design and could be fixed easily. Who knows why a new car today won't start until you hook it up to a computer.

That said however; I think the cars of days gone by had better styling. A lot of cars today look very similar, regardless of manufacturer.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 09-21-2013 at 8:32 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Ralph Nader?

I'm 64, so I've seen what Phil is talking about - in spades. There are the obvious mechanical improvements, but I don't believe that you can discount the benefit of much better lubricants. Engine oil has come a very long way since the 60's.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Blog Entries
    image.jpgWho says the new ones last longer?

IMO, modern fuel injection systems along with advanced computer controls have been the biggest contributor to increased longevity. The old carburetors used several different types of choke systems for cold starting which worked OK at best and only if properly adjusted and maintained. Typically they allowed a lot more fuel than required, washing down the cylinder walls, minimizing lubrication and increasing friction. This also thinned out your oil, reducing lubrication values over oil change intervals. Fuel injection has optimized fuel delivery and computer controls have provided efficient engine timing, maximizing spark at the plugs and minimizing engine detonation, seriously reducing wear and tear.
    Mac
    Last edited by Mac McQuinn; 09-21-2013 at 9:25 PM.

Engine oil is better ,but it HAD to be. In early 70 s with fed ordered pollution controls and leaner running engines the existing oils were letting the engines seize up on the test stands. The oils withstanding higher temperatures was a result of necessity .

Dr. Deming happened. Google him.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

In recent news coverage of the fires, we were told that they are still flying tankers built in the 60's. Probably lots of reasons for that, but it seems technically we were capable of building stuff to last way back then.

And what was the lifespan of a US produced automobile?

IMO the reason we have better cars now, is that collectively we slowly began to be drawn to, and to demand better products. Ralph Nader calling the Corvair and GM exactly what they deserved. German imports that were expensive, but lasted providing value. And then Japanese cars taking 25% of the US market.

Certainly there has been innovation, but it would still be rotting in the patent office if we the consumers hadn't stiffened our backs and said we will buy American built cars when they deserve it.

I think that there are a lot of contributions but the fuel injection and computer controls has gone a long way to improve engine performance and longevity.

The other is the improvement in the materials that the body is made primarily in terms of corrosion resistance. The coatings on the inside of the panels have hugely improved corrosion prevention materials and the paints on the outside are much better. Even in the north, where salt is routinely used, you do not see many vehicles with rust.

As was also mentioned, Dr. Demings work on quality control has gone a long ways to making huge improvements. All of the car companies are using statistical process control as are their suppliers. Where once, it was not uncommon to see part failures expressed in per cents, now it is more typical to see failure rates in the very low parts per million. Even when the failure rate is only 2 parts per million, statistical process control and other associated methods are used to determine what caused a failure and how to prevent it in the future.

I think that this is one example of where the modern car is better than those made in the good old days. But at the same time, I do miss those muscle cars of my youth.

corrosion protection. I read somewhere that porsche in the early 70's began with the zinc. I remember cars rusted out right from the begining.

I remember a Reg Green quote about vehicles "They don't make them like they used to, and those of you who own one know why".

Words of wisdom.

Better design, materials, quality control, better lubricants, and of course competition from foreign manufacturers.

I have a 1976 BMW motorcycle with just under 300,000 miles on it...........There were some quality machines back then, they just cost about twice as much as the competition...Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    I think that there are a lot of contributions but the fuel injection and computer controls has gone a long way to improve engine performance and longevity.

The other is the improvement in the materials that the body is made primarily in terms of corrosion resistance. The coatings on the inside of the panels have hugely improved corrosion prevention materials and the paints on the outside are much better. Even in the north, where salt is routinely used, you do not see many vehicles with rust.

+1 for sure
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

I would suggest it's better vehicle design, better lubricants, better fuel and a lot of us owners became better educated and do more preventative maintenance than in the past.

When I first began driving in the mid-60's, my father gave me some advice. Check your oil often, change oil every 3,000 miles and when you change oil, change the filter. I have had extremely good luck with engines.

I also change brake fluid every 3-4 years and transmission fluids as often as the manufacturer recommends.

The improvements in gasoline has provided a lot of help in longevity of engines too. For example, my 1986 4-Runner with a 22-RE engine I bought used with 19,000 miles on it. Every 2 years I had to have the injectors cleaned. My then SIL, a mechanic whom I still respect, suggested I change to Chevron gasoline because it had Techron injector cleaner in it. I did and have never had to have injectors cleaned again. Note, now all brands of gasoline have improved their products to the point where they all have similar additives and success.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....