Thread: Log Round Wedding Guest Book?

Log Round Wedding Guest Book?

My sister-in-law is getting married in a few weeks and has asked for some help with their wedding guest book. She was given some log rounds (approx 20" diameter) that she wants to have people sign or write a memo on to use as the guest book. I haven't seen the slabs yet but she is asking me to smooth them out so it will be easier to write on and then after the wedding have me apply a finish to protect the signatures. I assume she will have the guests use extra fine point sharpies or something similar but I'm curious if I should apply a finish first to make it easier to write on? I thought about maybe just a seal coat or two of shellac pre-signatures and then some type of poly to protect after the wedding. Anyone do anything similar or have any pointers?
    Thanks
    Dan

Haven't done it but I think you're on the right track. Put a sealer on first so the ink doesn't bleed into the wood. Then top-coat after. If there is an extra peice to experiment with that would be good (see if Sharpie is best writing tool--maybe try other options)

I would also be nervous about whatever top coat I use causing the ink to run/smear. Definitely test that out....

Good luck!
    Chris

A log round is certain to crack as it dries. That doesn't seem like a nice keepsake for a marriage which one would hope will not crack.

Jamie,
    I agree with you completely but she saw it online somewhere, likes it, so now its happening. We get along well but I'm not even going to try to talk her out of it.
    Thanks for the other pointers. I believe there is an extra piece or two to practice on so I'll experiment some.

I use sharpies to sign my work often. My sequence is to apply a sealer coat or 2 of the oil finish I use (tru oil), then sign the work with the sharpie, then, when the ink is dry, I cover the ink with a thin coat of water based poly min wax (blue can) brushed on real fine, and when dry, put multiple more top coats of the oil finish. Takes time, but it looks great and the writing stays sharp.

If using different finish products, do a test beforehand or you end up crying in your soup.

Russ

I wouldn't do it! I had to help my wife do the same thing, except she wanted to use the rounds as table centerpieces. I talked to three different local sawyers, and they ALL said the rounds will crack. We're not talking little hairline cracks, I mean big 1-3inch wide gaps, and in several cases the round will break apart.

We had ours cut 3 days before the wedding, so all went well. But now a month later some are ok, some have hairline cracks, and some have large gaps. I would not trust any keepsakes on them, the odds are against you.

http://www.preservation-solutions.co...x.php/crosscut. It can be done.
    Pentacryl is what you need.
    Last edited by Rick Lizek; 09-24-2013 at 12:04 AM.