Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Shapton Professional series water stones....

New Shapton Professional series water stones....

Just picked up a new 1000 and 5000 grit water stone (professional series) from Shapton. I know these stones do not have to be soaked like traditional water sones but I have a spray bottle with clean water. My question is I have heard others talk about putting a drop or two of Dawn dishwashing liquid in the bottle to make the sharpening process even easier... How many of you guys who own these stones do this vs just clean water? Just interested? Thanks.

I've tried the soap addition. If it works, it would be most valuable when flattening the back of a plane blade on a high grit stone (like an 8000). Sometimes your plane blade can get stuck to the stone (not all that bad but you certainly notice it). I think the soap helps, but I never really tried using no soap and then using soap to see what the difference is.

It certainly doesn't hurt anything.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

i use mine with plain water. when i first got them i tried it with a drop or two of soap and didn't really notice a difference. try it for yourself and see if you notice anything.

I just hold mine under running water when I flatten them after each use, a spritz of water works well when using them during sharpening. Haven't used soap at all, I just never saw a need for it-water works just fine.

I use just water on my Shapton. Seems to work fine.
    Fred

I find the soak helps to overcome stiction, most common on fine grits and large faces (i.e. chisel or plane backs)
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Blog Entries
    The soap (just a drop or 2) helps with stiction with the 5K stone. I don't think you'll need soap with the 1K stone.

You can search Shapton Pro stones and find a lot on them.

PHM

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McGaha View Post
    The soap (just a drop or 2) helps with stiction with the 5K stone. I don't think you'll need soap with the 1K stone.

You can search Shapton Pro stones and find a lot on them.

PHM
    Or just go over to the Neander forum and ask around, but be prepared to have a three or four page thread before everyone is all finished.

Only 3 or 4? You underestimate us.. <g>

Do the Waterstones leave a sharper edge than the traditional Black Arkansas oilstone ?

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence Martin View Post
    Do the Waterstones leave a sharper edge than the traditional Black Arkansas oilstone ?
    I think a reasonable answer would be "they can" assuming you are willing to go up through the grits, and how far. However, the biggest advantage to the newer ceramic waterstones like the Shaptons mentioned up post is that that they are much faster than natural oil stones, and don't require soaking like conventional water stones. At least in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cav View Post
    I think a reasonable answer would be "they can" assuming you are willing to go up through the grits, and how far. However, the biggest advantage to the newer ceramic waterstones like the Shaptons mentioned up post is that that they are much faster than natural oil stones, and don't require soaking like conventional water stones. At least in my experience.
    +1, and while they require periodic flattening it's a *lot* less than a water stone, in my experience.

The benefit from running a diamond stone over the shaptons is probably more swayed toward keeping them fresh and cutting fast. If you keep them fresh, they'll stay flat without additional effort.

No muddy swarf like the old water stones. Whether or not someone needs to use dish soap, I don't know. Even if you don't, you'll get used to the stones and any stiction issues will go away eventually. If a stone loads up, just put some water where it's loading, and make short strokes with the back of your chisel or iron.

The potential of a fine oilstone is there to match the finest water stones, but only with the right steel type, and the technique is a razor sharpening technique that nobody would spend the time to do with tools.

If a tool doesn't seem sharp enough for regular work, it's more likely that the finish stone didn't get to the edge of the tool than that the stone isn't fine enough (no matter what type of stone).

Bill said it would

Ahhhhhh
    guys . . .
    one word :
    Nah dude . . .
    nah
    well that was three words but what ever

even though the consensus of the group thinks that pressing that big red button that says "Arm" in the control room for the missile silos is a good idea . . . and will deploy the voice operated robotic arm that mixes drinks and the cocktail trolley, because that is what Bill said,

I'm not so sure about it.

The manual says . . .
    . . . don't look at me like that. I didn't mean to actually READ it, it was laying there and I just happened to see that one part.
    Noooooo I am not "one of those GEEKS" that reads manuals and stuff. That is soooo passe.

No . . . OK . . . look . . .forget I said anything . . . no . . . really . . . what do you guys think ?
    The manufacture doesn't KNOW ! They would just make up any old thing.
    Probably just trying to screw with us because they know it works better with soap but . . . but . . . give me time I will think of a REASON why they put that in there . . .

Last edited by Winton Applegate; 09-27-2013 at 12:31 AM.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    If a tool doesn't seem sharp enough for regular work, it's more likely that the finish stone didn't get to the edge of the tool than that the stone isn't fine enough (no matter what type of stone).
    +1+1+1 Wiser words are rarely spoken...