Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone Use Hotmelt Glue?

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but the hot glue I'm talking about is the Pur system. From what I've seen on youtube, it instantly holds and the wood fails before the joint. It does however, take 24 hours to fully cure. Sounds like some of you think I'm talking about the crafting type of hot melt glue, which the Pur system is not. I believe it's polyurethane. At any rate, from what I've read, there is nothing temporary about this glue. I just wanted to know how it's used.

Thats what I was discussing in the end of above post. I've been wanting the system to play with it for a while, haven't had the big push yet. Demo's I saw all involved molding miters, gluing up glass bars, like single sided SDL grates where a single piece of glass rides in a rabbited frame, the grill is applied to the door front. They build the grates quickly just using Hi PUr and holding it until set. The stuff sure makes a strong miter, hard to beat it apart, wood usually breaks first. I'm told storage of open tubes can be dicey like most PU glues, once exposed to ambient moisture, it starts going. But in theory it can last a while if properly closed and stored? You read lots of complaints on the net from people who lost lots of expensive glue, others love it.

I also thought we were talking about the more common "craft " type. It too is used in more industrial applications with larger capacity and types. The other stuff I have not used . I have a friend who has used it on stained mantles to avoid filling set nails in all those small pieces ,and likes it for that.

If we're talking about the regular gun style hot glue sticks, I think it's a dirty secret of a lot of woodworkers. I use mine all the time for jigs and fixtures, semi permanent setups, and other stuff. I have used lots of it to stick my dust collector pipe together, usually to make butt joints between black fittings and the 4" white PVC that makes up the piping. It holds well and is more or less removable when I need to reconfigure the D/C. Just this past weekend I made an enclosure around the heads on my tenoner to contain and direct the chips into the dust collector using 1/4 plywood, hot glue and staples. It looks like crap but it's pretty effective, and I've never seen anything that can throw chips like a tenoner.