Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Miller Falls 15 Video Gloat

Miller Falls 15 Video Gloat

Showing off my MF 15 that I mentioned in the "tool bling" thread. That's all, no other reason for this thread...just showing my awesome new tool via this crappy cell phone video that I shot with a few extra minutes I had before I left for work this morning.

Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

It's the "stock plane movement", huh?

Sometimes, stock planes are nice to use. If the adjuster needs to be super tight (like it should be for shooting hard narrow wood) or super square, it's not always so nice, but I've forgone premium stuff now for a little while and I'm starting to prefer the stock plane, stock chisel one stone kind of thing. Until the next itch appears, whatever it may be.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    It's the "stock plane movement", huh?
    Nah. It's just the "what I can afford at the moment movement" .
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Stock planes definitely do give you a lot more latitude with what you use to sharpen and how you use it. I'll start another thread the next time I get a little time in the shop rather than babble all over your thread.

Feel free to babble all over my thread. This is a perfect avenue for that conversation.

I do use stock irons on pretty much all my vintage bench planes. I wouldn't say I prefer them, though you are correct that they are nicer when using oil stones. I guess my feeling about them is that while an after market iron has some advantageous qualities, the stock irons work perfectly well so I have a hard time coughing up cash to fix something that ain't broke. Currently I have one aftermarket iron and I keep it in my Stanley 26 transitional since that plane is used for heavy work and its a bit prone to chatter. If/When I buy any more after market irons it will either be PMV11 or the blue steel irons Stu sells...an extra fine edge and extra longevity is certainly nice to have, but the original irons and chipbreakers do indeed do exactly what they are supposed to do.
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 09-23-2013 at 1:41 PM.

Nice!

The voice doesn't fit the avatar :-)
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    Nice!

The voice doesn't fit the avatar :-)
    Haha. Next time I'll overdub some Trailer Park Boys into it.

Hopefully the body doesn't fit the avatar either. I'm no athlete but I like to think I'm in better shape than Bubbles.

Seeing you work with that vintage plane does my heart good! Great fettling job and excellent shavings...with only a stock blade!!!!

Enjoy

Archie, near NOLA

Glad to hear it Arch! My first time with an MF plane was in your very shop!

Blog Entries
    Nice looking plane.

My #5-1/2 is only occasionally used. It is very close to the #6 except for the 1/8" difference in the blade width and they are on an easier shelf to grab.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks Jim. Oh my, I do love 6's. My 6 is definitely my most used plane when it comes to getting stock flat. I keep it setup for heavier cut than this though. Not super coarse by any means but definitely more closer to center on the coarse-fine spectrum. This will be setup more as a heavy smoother and just general purpose bench plane. I started finding myself using my LV LA jack a lot for that kinda a thing but I prefer to keep it setup for shooting so I wanted a BD size equivalent that would be better for general purpose work and and smoothing big pieces/pieces that I want to keep flat w/o tearout. I just happened to run across this and it fit the bill perfectly. Poor LA jack won't get as much diverse use now, but he'll still hold his own on the shooting board, which is really where he does his best work.

Nice! Millers Falls RULE!

I like stock irons too - very quick to bring up a wire edge and they get real sharp, they just don't last too long which is not a problem for me as a hobbyist.

Would a Millers Falls plane take PM-V11 blade?

Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    Would a Millers Falls plane take PM-V11 blade?
    Yes. As far as I know anything that will fit a Stanley will fit an MF plane. Unfortunately, this plane in particular is a 2 1/4" blade so there is not PMV11 blade that fits it. For the most part though yes, they will.

Sargent's are the ones you need to be cautious about. They have different spacing in the holes in the chipbreakers. I believe after market blades will usually fit them but getting a chipbreaker that fits them requires a custom order.
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 09-24-2013 at 6:23 AM.

I suppose if there's not that much demand I can't see Veritas making the 2-1/4" blade.