Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unplug your electronic lathe??

Unplug your electronic lathe??

I have a Powermatic 3520 with the Delta 3phase to Single Phase Convertor on the back of the lathe, that lets the lathe have variable speed at the turn of a knob. I noticed that when I turn the lathe off the display on the Delta box is still on.

So the question is, do you unplug your lathe after use? Its not storm season currently, but should i be concerned of surges on this 240v machine?

What's your thoughts?

PS: Its always funny to see Delta on a Powermatic Lathe
    -------------------------------------
    Adrian Anguiano

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". Jeremiah 29:11

Blog Entries
    If storm surges are ever a concern, you should unplug everything you care about, whether or not it shows signs of being 'on'.

As a point of reference, I leave most stuff plugged in for "simple" storms... but when the big ones roll in, I unplug the stuff I care about (lasers, PCs, shop equipment, entertainment equipment, etc.).
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I physically unplug the lathe; shut off the shop electrical subpanel for the rest.

The idea behind unplugging the lathe is the sensitivity to surges that folks have reported, and that surges can even come through a ground line. Not so concerned about a surge on my table saw during a storm when I'm away, for instance, because it has no "always on" electronic state.
    Steve \o/
    Dynamite With A Laser Beam LLC
    Epilog Helix 75W/Epilog Fusion Edge 80W and Jet 1642-EVS2

I always unplug my lathes because you just never know what could cause an outage and damage the equipment. In addition to lightning, summer months you could experience brown outs due to high energy demands, winds can cause trees to take out power lines and then there always seems to be someone who drives into a power pole! If your lathe it unplugged, you don't have to worry about any of that stuff and I just found it was a very good habit to get into.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

The reason your "RPM" leds remain lit is because power is still applied to your VFD even with the "OFF" button on the control panel of the PM3520B activated.

I unplug my PM3520B at the end of the day when I am turning.

Being retired I travel a lot and I unplug everything in my shop when I am leaving town for a trip.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

okay ill start unplugging it.

Im not concerned about any tool without electronics... Its more likely id get struck with lightning then one of those dying.
    -------------------------------------
    Adrian Anguiano

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". Jeremiah 29:11

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    The reason your "RPM" leds remain lit is because power is still applied to your VFD even with the "OFF" button on the control panel of the PM3520B activated.

I unplug my PM3520B at the end of the day when I am turning.

Being retired I travel a lot and I unplug everything in my shop when I am leaving town for a trip.
    I find on my 3520B even if I unplug it the VFD still seems to have power for a couple of seconds (maybe internal capacitor?).

I installed a switch to an outlet box that my 3520b is plugged into. I turn this switch off when I am done turning which saves me from having to unplug the lathe due to limited accessability to the outlet.

Is this sufficient, or do you really need to unplug the lathe?

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    I find on my 3520B even if I unplug it the VFD still seems to have power for a couple of seconds (maybe internal capacitor?).
    Mike,

That's it.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

10. I unplug every tool in the shop when I leave. My lathe stays unplugged until I mount something on it.
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

I am probably in the minority but I've never unplugged anything in my shop. About 30 years ago lightening fried a TV set in the house. Two others were unaffected. Probably, since I now publicly stated my willingness to take a chance leaving my electronics plugged in, I'll surely get zapped. I also believe where you live has a lot to do with your chances of being affected by a damaging power surge or lightning strike. I'm sure if I lived in the Midwest I would be more concerned.
    faust

Adrian, it depends on where you live and your power system. I have had lightning take out many of my electronics. Amazingly just under my insurance deductible. But I also don't like to bend over and unplug things, so I simply have my 220 volt going through a 3 phase disconnect box. That way I disconnect every possible wire from the grid.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Stafford View Post
    I unplug every tool in the shop when I leave. My lathe stays unplugged until I mount something on it.
    I'm with Mike on this one. Of course, down here in the lightening capital of the universe, you can count on lightening strikes/power surges every afternoon from June through September.
    Regards,
    Dick

OK
    So you protected your electronic lathe, how about your big-screen TV, your computer, your MP3-player, your wife's fancy electronic sewing machine (see story below), your......
    What about when you are not home? Do you unplug everything in the house before you go anywhere?

How about doing something more, ah proactive
    Go to your local electrical supply store/big-box store/etc and get a panel mounted surge arrestor. These can either be built into a "breaker" or as a sub-panel that then connects to the main panel.

I did this 20 years ago affter we had a massive power-surge (as in light-blubs blew up). Before that, even with the power-strip surge arrestors we lost something about once a year.

We haven't lost a single item to surges since, not once.

story: One of the guys in the local club had a "deal" with his wife, he could buy all the tools he needed for his shop, and she could buy a computer controlled over-arm quilting (sewing) machine. After he had the shop (including his electronic lathe) she called to say that the local sewing shop had the machine she wanted, used and the great condition.... So he said "buy it". Well, even used it cost more then his entire shop!

I still plug the TV, etc into power-strip arrestors, just cause.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

I have a switch on the wall. No power when I'm not turning.
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA