Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Workshop layouts...

Workshop layouts...

Hey guys!!!

I have a general idea as to how I think my shop would be best setup for the types of projects I'm doing and will soon be doing. However, I'd like to see some shop layouts from some others here on the forum. I have two large table saws, two BS's (14"-18"), two drum sanders (16"-18"... The 18" is the WM-718), 8" jointer, 6"-12" b/d sander, CNC mill, OSS, drill press.

I've decided to nest my 8" jointer on the right side of my 10" Steel City TS. I think this will work nicely with my work flow. I'm undecided as to where I would put the WM-718 in relation to the jointer. As well as the 16-32 drum sander. I'm thinking of nesting the two together side by side but flipped in/out out/in feeds. But where to put them.

I have a very large scissor lift in my shop that I'm working around for now until some construction is done next door. It's hard for me to start visualizing the space being open and useable.

Anyway, I just found out about Grizzly's shop layout tool. I'm going to run through that right now.

So I'm open to layout tips and tricks and the like. Pics and floor plans are best of course. Small, medium, and large shops are all welcome. There's something to learn from every woodworker I believe.

I'll upload a pretty crappy SketchUp (2D) drawing and start on a 3D drawing.

Thanx guys!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Michael Dunn; 09-24-2013 at 12:24 AM.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

More is DEFINITELY more!!!

Bump... Anybody? Is everyone mad at me for the sweet deal I got yesterday on CL?
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

Michael:

I can't find the diagram I did for my shop when I built it four years ago, so I'll have to describe it. Basically, most machines ring the shop along the walls, except for a cluster (TS, shaper, planer) in the middle. The corners have machines that work well in corners--grinder, scroll saw, DP, and tenoner. With most machines along the walls, they have DC drops adjacent so there is no overhead hoses required. On the center machines, I have a floor trench and a cluster of DC pipe--again, no overhead hoses required.

Other than dust collection, my main planning consideration in order to be able to shoehorn 18 machines usably into a 525 sq ft shop was to get my infeed and outfeed areas to overlap. For example, my TS outfeeds over my shaper; my planer outfeed is through the area where I stand at my bench; my RAS is next to a door I can block momentarily with longer work and my jointer does the same thing to another door. Only my belt/disk sander, small BS, and shaper ever move, and then only small distances so flexible hose still works fine.

Kirk

You have a nice large space. I would plan for an out feed table on the TS and pair the jointer with the planer. Be sure to account for shelves, cabinets and wood storage.

An option on the table saws would be to put them together feeding toward each other. The extension table for each would serve as the outfeed table for the other one. I've often thought I would want to do this and leave one saw set up with a dado blade.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Ladendorf View Post
    You have a nice large space. I would plan for an out feed table on the TS and pair the jointer with the planer. Be sure to account for shelves, cabinets and wood storage.
    I definitely plan to have much shelving and storage. I've already built a lumber rack and a hinged plywood cart. I used TWW's plans. I plan to build a nice large bulk plywood storage. I have an area beneath a stair case with 100" of vertical space and 42" of width. I plan to store them vertically so I can page through them like a book.

My outfeed tables are already built. For now I have decided to nest the jointer with the Steel City TS. I just acquired another drum sander so at the moment I'm leaning towards nesting the Performax 16-32 with the Woodmaster 718. I'm thinking about putting them together side by side but inverted. In/out out/in. Out from the planer and into the 16-32. Or if more fine sanding is required...

I can plane using the WM-718, then set it up for drum sanding. 80 and then into the 16-32 set for a finer grit.

Any thoughts, suggestions or objections?

Thanx for the tips this far!
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

Quote Originally Posted by Michael W. Clark View Post
    An option on the table saws would be to put them together feeding toward each other. The extension table for each would serve as the outfeed table for the other one. I've often thought I would want to do this and leave one saw set up with a dado blade. Mike
    I've been thinking of leaving one setup with a dado stack. But putting them together? Yes!!! That is brilliant!!! I'm totally doing that tomorrow!!!
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

Quote Originally Posted by Michael W. Clark View Post
    An option on the table saws would be to put them together feeding toward each other. The extension table for each would serve as the outfeed table for the other one. I've often thought I would want to do this and leave one saw set up with a dado blade. Mike
    I just had to say it again... That's a BRILLIANT idea. My outfeed I just built for the SCTW TS is 93"x48". My other TS has 37" of table. This will mean that each TS has just over 7' of outfeed support.

Yeah buddy!!!
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

Blog Entries
    It looks like you have a lot of room between machines. Could you have the machines closer together and have an assembly area?
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Quote Originally Posted by Von Bickley View Post
    It looks like you have a lot of room between machines. Could you have the machines closer together and have an assembly area?
    Absolutely. I'm now planning to nest my two TS's together. Where one currently is will be my assembly table. I started building it today. I hope to be done on Friday. Unlikely though.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

Do you have/are you planning on a crosscut/RAS/miter saw station? If so, you probably want to put it close-ish to your lumber rack, and then have your jointer close to that. Its not always fun to drag a 15' 8/4 board across the shop to cut to length, then back again to face joint, then somewhere else to plane, etc...
    Melad StudioWorks
    North Brookfield, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Melad View Post
    Do you have/are you planning on a crosscut/RAS/miter saw station? If so, you probably want to put it close-ish to your lumber rack, and then have your jointer close to that. Its not always fun to drag a 15' 8/4 board across the shop to cut to length, then back again to face joint, then somewhere else to plane, etc...
    Yes. Good thought to put it next to the lumber rack. I'll have more than enough space to do that. My jointer would be directly behind me if I put the miter station next to the lumber rack.

I was initially planning to put the MS station on the opposite wall. I guess now that can be where the new workbench goes and some future hand tools. I don't have many now. A set of 7 Narex chisels, Shapton stones (probably will never get to use them since it takes too much time), and ONE hand plane.

Great stuff Ethan!!!

Keep it coming guys!!! Majorly helpful so far!!!
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

I would like to see how you nest the two saws together. I have done it two ways, and seen others. It will be interesting to see what you come up with.

Rick Potter

Ok, here is where things are at the moment. CVMAX should be here in 1-2 weeks, my Wynn filters arrived today. Ironically delivered to the incorrect address in my industrial park. Wynn called, I went over there and spoke with a nice lady at the company which does custom cabinets using strictly laminates. We exchanged cards, hopefully another business avenue.

Anyway, here is a SketchUp mock up of my current tools (miter saw and spindle are not actually here yet.)

Thoughts, suggestions, and opinions?

Even when compressed the skp file is too large to upload here. If anyone is interested in viewing the skp file PM me your email address.

Thanx!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

In the FWIW department, in my latest shop setup I didn't want to run duct-work all over the place for dust collection. I also hit it lucky on a few dust collectors. I basically put my shop together in groups. Table saw, planer, and jointer in one group with my biggest dust collector, band saw and Shopsmith in a second group with one of the smaller dust collectors, Drill press and my wife's lathe in a third group with a second small dust collector. Then we moved so everything is in storage while we work on restoring the house we bought. On the short list is a 30 x 60 or 30 x 80 shop, so I'm watching your progress for better ideas!