Thread: Torched Oriental Box in Ash

Torched Oriental Box in Ash

Along with Russell Eaton I was fortunate to spend three days in Jimmy Clewes shop in Las Vegas. One of the projects was an ash oriental box which I had a near disaster with when I got it home. Last Saturday, I was cleaning out my shop/garage and spilled some red dye I’ve used for Christmas ornaments all over myself, the lathe and the oriental box. Tried to save the box by adding more red dye but couldn’t so I tossed in in the trash. On Sunday, had a flash, went to Lowes and got a propane torch and burned that thing. Then cut the wings off the top because they were lopsided anyway. It started looking good so since I was on a roll and saw some gold stuff in the pieces on Jimmy’s website, went to Michael’s and even though I never did anything like this, put some gold leaf in the box part. The burning gives the wood a very pleasing texture as you can feel as well as see the grain. Finished it off with Renaissance wax.

DSC01817(2).jpgDSC01819(2).jpgDSC01824(2).jpg
    I fish, therefore I am. I woodturn when I can't fish.

I really like the contrast of the burned ash and the gold leaf. The shape is very elegant and pleasing to the eye. After seeing and holding your ash & burned covered bowl (which I also thought was fantastic but didn't get a chance to tell you) at the meeting saturday, I watched a lengthy youtube video on guilding. First thing I thought of was that your bowl would be an awesome candidate for the guilding if you could bring yourself to cover up the natural wood. Keep 'em coming.

Great save Bill. One small problem. Me, you, and Jimmy are the only ones that know what the first turning looked like. Your design opportunity worked so well nobody would have ever known... great gave!

very nice, great to have a plan, thanks for sharing

Bill I love the burned bowl and the gold leaf. How did you do the burning, I have done some and I get cracks if I let it get to hot? Just curious about the process as I really like the burn effect.
    Fred

Good recovery - would have been a shame to toss a piece from Jimmy's class. Instead you gave it it's own class - great save!
    Steve \o/
    Dynamite With A Laser Beam LLC
    Epilog Helix 75W/Epilog Fusion Edge 80W and Jet 1642-EVS2

Very Nice! The burn looks like it was very well done and even. The contrast with the gold is very attractive.

You call that a save. To me that's a major project. Great save...