Thread: Battery pack rebuild recommendations

Battery pack rebuild recommendations

Anyone recently done this? Can't find any new threads on the subject.

Can you steer me to the right company please?

Is is it worth doing?

I'm in need of all the batteries for my Panasonic cordless drill and impact driver. Too bad to toss otherwise great tools.

Thanks for your input.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Battery rebuild

Try these folks. "Local". Good reputation and fair prices.
    http://www.toolworksrepair.com/

Rick

My concern on having batteries rebuilt is that I spend that money then the charger dies and oops, money wasted.

George

I had some nicads rebuilt at my local "Battery Joe's" and it worked out well for me.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Battery pack rebuild recommendations

Hi Sam,
    I had a pair ofBosch 18v nicads rebuilt by http://www.toolworksrepair.com/last year. Cost was about $45ish per battery and I think they paid the returnshipping. They work well, but if my feeble memory is correct they don't hold acharge as well as they did when new. Don't remember exactly but I think thebest price I could find on new Bosch replacements was in the $90 range. Didn'ttrust going with an aftermarket replacement as I had no experience with themand reviews were all over themap. I would do the rebuild again rather than spring for new or scrap my cordless set.

Just got anew Woodslicer blade for my Griz, if you want to see some smooth bandsaw cutscome on over. Did you pick up your drill press?

g
    I've only had one...in dog beers.

Wow great - 2 suggestions for the same Maine based shop. I'll give them a call. Thanks Rick & Gary.

Gary, they aren't holding 1/2 a charge now so they are pretty useless as is. I'd like to think that the rebuild will get them up to full capacity otherwise it's just a stop gap. Meanwhile - working out of town and away from the shop these days so no I haven't picked up the drill press. Might not be back in Brunswick until after Thanksgiving. Not that far away as things go. I'd like to be impressed by some smooth bandsaw work so I'll be in touch .

George - I have 2 chargers - no problems there, though that did occur to me.

Thanks Jim for the encouragement.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Another good option for me was MTObattery.com, formerly batteryrebuilders.com. I had a couple P-C 14.4 battery packs rebuilt in 2006. I used 'em a few years then gave 'em to a relative where they sat unused and uncharged for a few years. I just got the drill back and the battery packs still take a charge. I don't know about endurance but torque seems fine and very low self-discharge.

another vote for MTO. Rebuild Makita 18v back in 2007 and still work well. Small company in eastern PA. Easy to deal with and quick turnaround.

9. Had a battery pack rebuilt and it was better then a new pack I bought to have a extra. Very much worth it IMHO.

10. There's a company on the internet selling kits to rebuild these now, both NiCd and NiMh.

Not sure if this is a local chain or national, but in and around Birmingham,Al is a place called batteries Plus. They rebuilt the packs in our cordless phones a few years back, pretty much tripled the off base and talk time. Not sue if they rebuild tool packs, but they do cell the sub-c cells most of these packs use. I'm going to rebuild a couple of my B&D packs with NiMH to run the three yard tools I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cabot View Post
    Try these folks. "Local". Good reputation and fair prices.
    http://www.toolworksrepair.com/

Rick
    Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I will send my packs to these guys in Maine. I'm pretty confident that they are a good company and the work will be excellent.
    WQJudge

frankenbatt

What do you do with a dead battery pack? You rip its brains out and BUILD A BETTER ONE. MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!

frankebbatt-1.jpgfrankenbatt-2.jpgfrankenbatt-3.jpgfrankenbatt-4.jpgfrankenbatt-5.jpgfrankenbatt-6.jpgfrankenbatt-7.jpgfrankenbatt-8.jpg

I recognize the battery pack. Good use of duct tape . Most importantly - it can be done!
    WQJudge