Thread: Badger Pond Archives

Badger Pond Archives

Just received my BP archives CD and mug. A big thanks to Andrew Field and those who helped him.... including SMC's own John Miliunas. A quick check of the archives navigation this morning revealed a pretty slick search feature - as good as the original. Thanks again Andrew.

Now, if I could only have better feelings (post Kim Carleton-Graves interview of Wayne Miller) about the mug, which is very nice as mugs go, by the way. Dave.

Dave,

What operating system are you using? I am using Windows ME, and I have not been able to get my disk to run.

I have been in email contact with Andrew, and he is trying to solve the problem, but I may have to upgrade to XP...

Anyone know the cheapest place to buy an upgrade copy of XP?

Thanks,
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Martin,

XP....

I received mine also

It came in yesterday's mail. Thanks to all who worked on it!

I copied my CD to disk and it took quite a long time. If you do copy the Cd to disk, be sure to turn off all your virus file checking or it will take a very very long time to copy it. Using the task manger in W2K I found that all the time was spent equally between file explorer and McAfee virus checking.

The next time it will boot up Linux and do a "cp", and mostly likely save an hour.
    Best Regards, Ken

Windows/ME - didn't work either

The CD didn't work for me either. Trying to copy stuff onto the hard drive is an ordeal too (so far). Time to dig out the syntax for XCOPY ...

Didn't know the part about turning off my AV program. Took forever to load on to hard drive but after that works like a charm and the search engine is really quick. I have a feeling that I'll be using it a lot.

I've had mine for about a week and it is great. With Win XP it ran without a hitch. It took quite a while to copy to the hard drive, I started it and went to bed.

Thanks again to Andrew Field, family and other helpers.

Eldon Berg

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I just did the pay-pal thing a few days ago so I’m still waiting on mine to be delivered. It will be none too soon though, I accidentally knocked my old BP coffee mug off the bench last weekend – it’s a good thing I ordered 2 more. I can’t wait to play with the CD!

As you journey through life, take a minute every now and then to give a thought for the other fellow. He could be plotting something. -- Hagar the Horrible
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 05-15-2003 at 8:36 PM.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Like some others, I was unable to run the archive query from the CD. I had an email from Andrew that he thinks he's identified the problem for Windows ME and earlier OS machines and is trying to work a fix for those of us using older OS machines.

I am working on the problem with some Microsoft support people that involves WinME and older machines.

So far I have sent out about 100 CD's and have only had reports of problems from 5 people and those have all been on WinME or older machines. I have not had any reports of problems from those people using Win2000 or WinXP. Also, if I can't get it working for you are you are unhappy I will send you money back.

Btw, If you haven't received an invoice yet, it's because I don't have an order for you. You can email me your order at a_field@winisp.net or see the webpage at http://www.winisp.net/a_field/badgerpond.html

BP Archives - Revised Version

Since identifying that the BP Archives would not work as expected with some earlier operating systems, Andrew has been reworking his code and search algorithms. Yesterday I got the latest version (shipped overnight at his expense no less) to test. I was able to access all of the reviews, shop tours and reviews directly from the CD. While it takes a little longer to search archives from the CD it does save considerable disk space from the work around that Andrew made available earlier. If you were considering purchasing the Archives but were concerned because your are running Windows ME or 95, I think that is no longer a problem.

Thanks for the update Del

I've been procrastinating buying the CD because I'm running Win 98 SE & am running out of hard drive space (I know I know - it's cheap get a new one). I keep telling LOML that procrastinating pays off & I've been proven right once again

And thank You Andrew, John & all those that have put so much effort into this great project.
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

Cool Clarification

Hey there, guys and gals. Just wanted to make sure credit is had where credit is due. While I appreciate the accolades for "work on the Archive CD", all I did was a bit of Beta testing. I am not a programmer or anything similar, by any stretch of the imagination! Nope, the credit is due solely to Andrew for his persistence in making this gigundo project work! And work it does. Personally, I've been too dern busy with all kinds of other schtuff and things, hence, I haven't even put my own order in yet. I will be changing this situation shortly! (And no, it wasn't because I was waiting for the "run from CD" option. I just thoroughly believe in, "Never put off for tomorrow what one can leave for the day after!") With that, GREAT JOB ANDREW and I'll be looking forward to getting my very own copy!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Badger Pond Archives

Originally posted by Dave Avery
    Just received my BP archives CD and mug. A big thanks to Andrew Field and those who helped him.... including SMC's own John Miliunas. A quick check of the archives navigation this morning revealed a pretty slick search feature - as good as the original. Thanks again Andrew.

Now, if I could only have better feelings (post Kim Carleton-Graves interview of Wayne Miller) about the mug, which is very nice as mugs go, by the way. Dave.
    Sent off my money to Andrew today. Looking forward to quickly accessing the info. Thanks to those who helped in beta testing.

The interview is here if anyone wants to read it.

Ted