Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FM50 VFD Update

FM50 VFD Update

I just know everyone is holding their breath waiting to hear!

All those who predicted that FactoryMation would find nothing wrong were right! The unit checks out fine. I even heard a motor running off of it when I was on the phone with them. So the VFD is on it's way back to me. Apparently the problem lies with the motor itself. I had the motor bench tested today and it seems to work fine so the fact that the motor is a 5hp instead of a 3hp remains a "probable cause" of the anomaly. I have the motor for sale and hopefully will get it sold and acquire a 2 or 3hp replacement before I get the VFD back. Then it will be time for round 2...
    David DeCristoforo

David,
    Keep the big motor and make a big bandsaw!!!! I have a 4.5 hp Baldor on my big bandsaw. Love it, lots of power, but think I need to make my own bandsaw. They are not designed for woodturners......

robo hippy

David, that sounds great. Hopefully a motor will find it's way to the monster.

Glad to hear it wasn't a catastrophe, David. Like Reeds idea about a homemade bandsaw!
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

That's great news! There was a 2 hp 3 phase listed on craigslist in my area for a reasonable price. I'll see if I can find it and let you know.

This on ebay... great price "new". But what is a "metric" motor? is that just the shaft and mounting holes are metric? Will this work with the FM50?

LEESON 193301.60 Metric Motor 3 HP, 3 Phase 230/460V Frame DF100L. Premium Efficiency Metric Motor,
    3-Phase,
    Totally Enclosed Fan-Cooled Enclosure,
    3 HP,
    2.2 kW,
    Nameplate RPM 1800,
    NEMA/IEC Frame DF100L,
    Voltage 230/460V, 60/50 Hz, 3 Phase, Full Load Amps 8/4,
    Rigid Mounting, Thermal Protection None,
    B3 Foot Mounting Type, Insulation Class F, Service Factor 1.15,
    Double Sealed Ball Bearings, Frame Material Cast Iron,
    Ambient Temperature 40 Degrees C, Ambient (C) 40,
    CW/CCW Rotation, Nominal Efficiency 89.5 Percent,
    Continuous Duty, 1400-1800[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    David DeCristoforo

"What RPM are you looking for?"

17-1800 RPM I'd rather find a 3hp but 2hp would probably be plenty and they seem much easier to find!
    Last edited by David DeCristoforo; 09-28-2013 at 2:23 PM.
    David DeCristoforo

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    This on ebay... great price "new". But what is a "metric" motor? is that just the shaft and mounting holes are metric? Will this work with the FM50?

LEESON 193301.60 Metric Motor 3 HP, 3 Phase 230/460V Frame DF100L. Premium Efficiency Metric Motor,
    3-Phase,
    Totally Enclosed Fan-Cooled Enclosure,
    3 HP,
    2.2 kW,
    Nameplate RPM 1800,
    NEMA/IEC Frame DF100L,
    Voltage 230/460V, 60/50 Hz, 3 Phase, Full Load Amps 8/4,
    Rigid Mounting, Thermal Protection None,
    B3 Foot Mounting Type, Insulation Class F, Service Factor 1.15,
    Double Sealed Ball Bearings, Frame Material Cast Iron,
    Ambient Temperature 40 Degrees C, Ambient (C) 40,
    CW/CCW Rotation, Nominal Efficiency 89.5 Percent,
    Continuous Duty, 1400-1800[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    Well you are definitely not a quitter. But I'm thinking you are making this about as difficult as you can. Sometimes, getting local help can not be beat. Find a motor shop, have them help you wire it up, then get to turning. All this internet research and "advice" would really wear on me, but maybe you enjoy buying stuff, sending it back for analysis, trying to buy a cheap eBay motor that may or not work, selling the motor that didn't work, etc...........

"metric" is concerning the dimensions of the motor, fasteners, and shaft size. If you are using an insert to fasten the pulley to the shaft it wont make any difference.

second point the motor you are referring to on EBAY has a standard mount and totals 145 dollars with shipping.

Another option also on EBAY is from the same seller. It has a base mount and also a "C" face mount but it is only 110 dollars total with shipping.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 09-28-2013 at 5:34 PM.

Maybe I should just forget the whole thing and buy a VB36! Yeah... One day when I'm rolling in dough. But thanx for the suggestion. In the meantime I have to remain within a tight budget. One local shop quoted me $1200 to set it up. I'm afraid DIY is my only option at this time.

I'm looking at that "other option" as well...

It seems to me that if the vfd checked out OK, and the motor checked out OK, there can only be two areas that the reason for no go lie in. Namely, either incorrect programming, or incorrect wiring. Armed with your now hard fought knowledge, why not give the combination another try before swapping out the motor.

I have several Leeson Motors David, and never have had a problem with them. A 3 hp on my bandsaw is a leeson, the 3hp on the industrial belt grinder is a 3 phase leeson, and a 5HP 3phase Leeson on the dust collector. So far mine have been very nice motors.
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

"...why not give the combination another try..."

My thinking on this is that, for whatever reason, the motor I have did not play well with the VFD. And even if it does, it's still a 5HP motor and the VFD is rated for up to a 3HP motor. So one way or the other, the motor is going to have to change. I pulled the trigger on the Leeson motor which is a "brand new" motor for ten cents on the dollar. Even with the shipping cost, it's a great buy and the metric thing is a non issue. I can easily shim the pulley and my motor mount is also easily adapted. I have the 5HP motor up for sale and it will be pretty much of a "wash". This has been fraught with false starts and missteps but I have learned a lot in the process. I'm really not out much other than some time and a bit of frustration.
    David DeCristoforo

15. Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    "...why not give the combination another try..."

My thinking on this is that, for whatever reason, the motor I have did not play well with the VFD. And even if it does, it's still a 5HP motor and the VFD is rated for up to a 3HP motor. So one way or the other, the motor is going to have to change. I pulled the trigger on the Leeson motor which is a "brand new" motor for ten cents on the dollar. Even with the shipping cost, it's a great buy and the metric thing is a non issue. I can easily shim the pulley and my motor mount is also easily adapted. I have the 5HP motor up for sale and it will be pretty much of a "wash". This has been fraught with false starts and missteps but I have learned a lot in the process. I'm really not out much other than some time and a bit of frustration.
    Well..........this fellow turner is really pulling for you, David! I empathize with the frustrating circumstances you have endured........I think the concrete monster and your talent are a force waiting to be unleashed and I really hope this combination of motor and VFD work without a hiccup this time around!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!