Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KY,TN & NC Road Trip

KY,TN & NC Road Trip

My wife and I are heading up I-75 from the west coast of FL for a 2week vacation. Key areas we plan to visit will be Nashville, Knoxville, Gatlinburg, Berea, KY, Ashville,NC. Any suggestions on woodturning-related places of interest such as studios/galleries, sources for woodturning blanks, etc. that we can checkout? Also, I noticed that not far from Ashville is the John Campbell Folk Art School and thought it might be interesting to visit. Thanks for any suggestions you all may have.
    Bruce

In Gatlinburg: 1) Arrowmont - check out their wood turning gallery in the entry to the wood studio, 2) "8 mile loop" of arts and crafts - a mixed bag of quality and kitsch, 3) definitely see Proffitt's Woodworks, a couple of hard core turner sisters who do nice work. [Full disclosure: no financial connections to any places or persons mentioned]

If i were making that trip, i would include the Biltmore estate near Ashville NC, assuming you haven't already been there. As a woodworker, I'd love to see the building and furniture.

You could spend most of that 2 weeks just in the Asheville area. But if you only have a short time, I usually recommend Grovewood Gallery, Folk Art Center, and Biltmore Village for galleries. Grovewood is working hard to become "the" place for high end wood turning.

John C Campbell is a wonderful place, you can visit the class rooms during class, just be sure to go by Keith House and get a pass. Don't miss the turning studio and the blacksmith shop.

Arrowmont is good, just be warned the traffic/crowds in Gatlinburg can be a killer.

Penland, near Spruce Pine, is an advanced version of Campbell and Arrowmont.

Living in Asheville we are spoiled to everything crafts/gallery.

Perry

Lonnie Bird's woodworking school is in Dandridge, TN not far from Gatlinburg.

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Bruce, Brian, Perry and Sid,
    Thanks so much for the suggestions. Arrowmont and Profitts sound like "must sees". We 've read about the 8 mile loop ....and traffic but will give it a try. Biltmore sounds great also. Hadn't heard about Grovewood but have followed Lonnie Birds articles in FWW magazine so that would be interesting since I've made quite a few Shaker furniture reproductions and built a cherry workbench from one of his articles a few years back. For now I've left the flat work behind and have been turning for a few years (mostly bowls) but want to try hollow forms once I'm able to learn more about basic types of bowl turning cuts first. Several videos by Bill Grumbine, Lyle Jamison and others and posts by fellow Creekers have been very helpful. When I retire in another year (hopefully) I want to join the turning club in Ft. Myers and also attend a couple of turning course. I attended my first AAW Symposium in Tampa and really enjoyed it.
    Thanks again and a BIG thanks to All the Creekers who so willingly take the time to help us "newbees".
    Bruce

If you are planning on driving through Atlanta you might want to drop in Highland Hardware. It is a fun trip through the candy store.

In Ashville check out the Grove Park Gallery. It's next door to the Grove Park Inn on the North side of town. The Gallery is by far one of the best woodworking furniture, craft and turning gallery that I've seen. You will enjoy it if you like wood.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

The Folk School is nowhere close to Ashville, actually opposite sides of the state N and S, and quite a drive from I 75.

Perry and Harry are both referring to the same gallery in Asheville, the Grovewood. It is across the street from the Grove Park Inn, itself worth a visit to Asheville. The Grovewood has been named three times as the best gallery of American craft in the country by Niche Magazine. It is well worth a visit.

Matt

Thanks, Harry. I'll be sure to check it out. Sounds interesting

Thanks for the clarification, Matt. Sounds great.

Jamie, I'll have to take a look at the map again to see how far South of Ashville it is and see if we have enough time to go there. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Donaldson View Post
    The Folk School is nowhere close to Ashville, actually opposite sides of the state N and S, and quite a drive from I 75.
    The Folk School (John C Campbell) is near Murphy, NC about 2 hrs west of Asheville, not opposite sides of the state. Actually, the Folk school is right on the way from Atlanta to Asheville. I used to make the trip quite often. Then from Asheville to Gatlinburg in around 90 minutes.

I'm very proud to mention Grovewood, it is the first gallery that carried my work and the lady that built the gallery to what it is, is currently helping me with a new business venture.

Perry

Bruce, one other idea. Our guild, the Southern Highlands Craft Guild, has a show in down town Asheville, Oct 17-20. I've got 2 free tickets if it fits your schedule. We've got a lot of talented turners, I'm sure a few will be there.

Perry