Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Fence Recommendations

New Fence Recommendations

The fence on my otherwise trusty workhorse of a saw has broken, beyond repair. Here's how I made it through the day.
    http://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=20079&stc=1

Any chance of a replacement fence system for under $300.00? The table is 27" X 44", more or less.

Attaches like this, 7 1/2" centers:
    http://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=20080&stc=1

Thanks Walt
    Attached Images Attached Images

Psst, Walt?

Hear that swishing sound? That's the sound of hand planes. Try your question upstairs in the general woodworking forum. Lot's more electron burners up there.

Ebay is a wonderful thing. Not only can you often find various fence and rail systems inexpensively, but haunt it long enough and you might be able to get an exact replacement. Although if that clamped stop block at the rear of your fence is any indication, you might want to look beyond OEM equipment.
    Marc

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Pater

Any chance of a replacement fence system for under $300.00? The table is 27" X 44", more or less.
    Take a look at Mulecab.com

I got the bandsaw fence and will get the tablesaw fence if I can make-up my mind to getter more than 30 inches of fence capacity. IIRC, 50 inch capacity tablesaw fence was $250.
    Tim

on the neverending quest for wood.....

Sorry to post on the Neander Board

Ummm...while we're making recommendations here, I'd recommend you cover the live wires visible at the bottom of the second photo. We'd like to continue to have you around the Creek.

The main power cord coming in also has a clamp on it, but the clamp isn't in the saw. Over time the vibration of that cord against the sharp metal of the saw will wear through. It could be another electrical hazzard. While the TS is down for the fence replacement may be a good time to address those two issues.

Good luck!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

While I currently use a Biesemeyer fence, I used a Mulecab Accusquare fence for many years and it was a totally satisfactory fence. It will also fit your budget. My son has it and the saw it was on now and I trust it will last him most of his life. The Accusquare is easy to mount, adjust and make jigs for. Once I got it set, I never had to tweak it again.
    Alan & Lynette Mikkelsen, Mountain View Farm Gardens & Fine Woodworking, St. Ignatius, MT. Visitors Welcome!

Vega! Simple installation and dead-on accurate.
    Dave on Lake Greenwood, SC

Blog Entries

Beismeyer

I installed a Beismeyer 30" commercial fence on my saw a number of years ago. It has been great. I have no complaints. Installation took less than 1/2 hour. Set up took almost 2 minutes. I've rechecked it several times for square since then and it has never needed readjustment.

I just saw it at a site for $299. In my opinion you can't go wrong with it.

Lee
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

40" home version of the Beisemeyer is $289 at amazon with free shipping and $25 off thats makes it $264. Oh and BTW..I agree, that wiring looks REALLY scary Get it fixed.

Should have a cover on that mag switch box also. Good Luck!
    Jerry

You can probably find a direct replacement for your fence on ebay. The one you have looks identical to the one I had on my Contractors saw. I've seen them sell there for under $200. I've also seen parts of these fences being sold there. It's not a bad fence, but it isn't as good as some of the ones people have already listed.

Hi Walt - The Vega is a very nice fence that's easy to install and easy to use...it also a very effective microadjustment. Amazon has them starting ~ $230 delivered.

The Shop Fox Aluma Classic that comes on their new contractor saws is a good clone of the Biese Homeshop fence. It has aluminum clad faces with t-slots mounted to a steel fence tube and has steel rails. Also about $230 delivered.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton
    Ummm...while we're making recommendations here, I'd recommend you cover the live wires visible at the bottom of the second photo. We'd like to continue to have you around the Creek.
    AMEN, AMEN, and AMEN!! not only do you have live volts right at your knee, that certainly appears to be a magnetic motor starter. Therefore, every time you start or stop that saw, you have an arc between the contacts of the starter. And, you have a pile of sawdust already accumulated on top of the enclosure -- no telling how much is inside just waiting to be ignited by the arcing contacts. Think Safety First, new fence second
    The less you know, the less likely you are to be subpoenaed.

Fred

Exposed live wires? What a relief! I thought you all were going to take me to task about the mess in my shop.
    Every one of you who has pointed this out is 100% correct, and I deserve a good talking-to about my bad shop habits. But thanks for the info. about fences. I'll post once I fix the electric.
    I feel a little embarrassed.