Thread: Work in Progress, need opinion

Work in Progress, need opinion

This carved piece is colored with solvent based dye, should I sand the dye back, sand it off, finish it as is or ?? Dimensions are 7" diameter X 6" tall.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Finish as is. I think it's beautiful just the way it is.

1+ on as is
    Wes

"Never believe everything you think"

Sign it and sell it----just right.

Finish as is. Great looking piece and I like the color you have now.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

I also vote for finish as is. Look forward to seeing the final results, it should be a beauty.

Looks great - I wouldn't change a thing

As is. Nature is not always perfect to the eye. So why should your dye perfect. It has a nice earthy feel to it. Allan
    C&C WELCOME

As is. Sometimes I'm guilty of over-thinking a piece and end up over-doing the piece. I think you've hit the mark on this as it sits!

luv the shape & leaves. It's fall and leaves are changing colors..so I'd call it a fall vessel and go with it as is
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Kudos Dennis...this is a sweet vessel. I like the orientation and beginning of color change on the leaves. Wonderful work and perfect timing.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

12. Here is another vote for finish as is........that is quite a nice piece, Dennis!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Beautiful as is .Only change I would consider is a little darkening shadow where the leaves overlap.

Dennis, this is where I am headed with my turning. Enough carving to be totally unique, with just enough color to enhance it. If the green were totally uniform (paint) this would not work. As it is the yellower appearance near the tips 'explains' their curling. I like this piece alot and would be proud to display it. I think a gloss finish would ruin the leaves, but would work for the bottom.

Don't think of the dye job as a failure, but as Nature participating in the design. Good luck and be sure to post the finished piece.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

+ 1 on fall leaves observed by Michelle, but put some different colors in, yellows, oranges, red, even brown

just an opinion, you have a very nice piece