Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's The Best Wood Working Magazine?

1. I used to buy them all but they all have gone stale. I always end up buying one of the group when waiting for the wife or waiting for a prescription to get filled. As I start to brows an article and get drawn in. But when you consider wood has been around from the beginning of time everything is a rerun. It is nice to read about what others do and also see there projects. I find the best part is the area with jigs etc and how to. The only magazine I keep any more is Shopnotes as never know when I may need to build I 5 sided assembly table

It would be nice if there was some way of searching their old content. I've subscribed to different mags for years, and have stacks of them, but seems like I buy a magazine subscription because they have had articles in the past and good projects, but after I subscribe, am disappointed in what they offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    Agred. I'm taking a break from FWW for a while, I let the subscription lapse, they pummel me with emails trying to get me to come back. I'm not quitting wood working as their emails would suggest, I'm just giving them a break. Some months were great, others I could skip most or all of the content. Lots of recycling, occasionally a whole month of rudiments for newbies, I know they are trying to attract new wood workers, and have an online subsection focused on that. But it's like public school trying to balance class rooms by putting the brightest kids in a room with the slowest....it only services half the audience. No child left behind....but some shackled to those that move slower? Well that's how it got to feel, but unlike public school, I pay for the pleasure, and when better than 40% of what I saw was recycled or basic, the pleasure is all theirs.
    It wasn't so much the volume (though I did think it was ridiculous that they'd spend gobs of money sending out flier after flier offering renewal, there must've been 8 of them, and none had any price concession at all), but the content of them was what I thought was offensive. The second or third one said something like "your skills are declining" or "your skills are in danger of declining now that you're not getting FWW".

I thought about it for a second...are you kidding me? My "skills" are declining because I'm not getting a magazine full of teaser articles that are too short in content to apply, or yet another test of 14 inch bandsaws or random orbit sanders?

I agree with Keith, the forums are the new method to learn for the novices, and the non-novices. If I have a question about how to finish a piece, what design elements are short and need work, etc, it isn't hard to take a picture and bounce it off of everyone here. Try that with a magazine. There is also a lot less of "look at my new kit of stuff that makes sawing dovetails easy", too, or any of the other trinket and gadget marketing.

I subscribe to FWW & PWW at this time. FWW has very good issues from time to time and occasionally some not so good issues. I think the projects they build in them are good, though as my own skill increased they're not as awe inspiring. The section I like best is the one with pix of readers work. Much like FWWs sister publication "Home Furniture" from years ago. Overall, a fair magazine.

What I think is lacking is the depth of a tool test. And a lack of testing the machines many advanced people want - Felder and Hammer equipment. Festool. I really don't need to hear about a Delta 14" bandsaw (or equal) again. Or a run of the mill ROS article. Why do I not see Festool's entries in router or sander tests? It took buying them to discover that while pricey, the Festool machines simply do everything better. Especially in this day of dust collection.

That's where they *all* are lacking. They don't seem to be keeping up with technology.

When I started, a magazine like FWW showed things that I could only dream of making. I bought it anyway. It provided goals to reach. I've reached some, but most definitely not all of them. FWW, PWW & company could be so much better than they are if they'd give it just a little more effort and worry less about whether or not the rank beginner can understand. There will always be places for a beginner to learn (Woodsmith, etc.). But beginners learn. And then they want something to point the way to better.

Websites like SMC are one of the best places for info on new or more advanced projects and methods. I guess in that way, the internet could supplant printed mags.

Quote Originally Posted by Loren Woirhaye View Post
    They fit different market niches. I think FWW is the most interesting because the featured work is often to professional (marketable) standards aesthetically speaking. So if you want to sell work and make something like a living at it, FWW is a good choice. I don't see any problem with reading back issue articles though and you can buy a DVD with like 30 years of them for less than $100. I haven't subscribed in years.
    I agree completely about getting the FWW DVD. I let all my print subscriptions expire. I purchased 1 or 2 other DVDs, but find FWW to be the easiest to navigate.

Steve

I stopped looking at WW magazines about 2 years into my years as a woodworker. I found that they were very repetitive and a fairly expensive way to get very little fresh information. Also, whose to say that the information you need or want is contained in any of YOUR issues. Yet, even after being a professional WWer for about 15 years, I still find the internet to be an excellent source of fresh, relevant information. Any info you need is literally at your fingertips. Now I do think the online subscriptions which feature search-able archives could be a useful tool, though I'm sure all the same info could be found elsewhere for free.

I would love to support an innovative traditional publication, but I refuse to support what I see as a stale, formulaic model.

Anyway, Fine Woodworking IMO is the most inspiring of the bunch. ShopNotes is kinda a cool idea to and probably the most useful of the bunch.

You left out Shop Notes, which is easily the most useful woodworking magazine, IMO. Every issue features at least 2-3 things I think would be useful or want to build.

Rich

Down to three, Wood, Woodsmith, and ShopNotes. Three years ago, dropped Popular Woodworking, FWW last year, and American Woodworker this year. Wood can be had for as little as $4.00 a year. Have every issue of both Woodsmith and ShopNotes. Both come up for renewal this year. I generally look at last three issues and decide as to renew or not. Wood has a special place in my heart, as I won "Top Tip" a couple years back, but I have had tips published in all of them over the years.

Like others, I have "settled" down to FWW, Wood, and Shop Notes. Cheers, Bill Whig, from central IN.

I agree, sifting through old magazines can be cumbersome. I've found an online membership to fww to be very helpful. All articles and videos are easily accessible on my iPad.

Best one depends on what you want and what your skill level is. If you are a beginner, then almost any will do. I have taken most on that list at some point or another. I was a religious FWW user and loved the forum. I don't know what happened but that mag has gone down and they destroyed the forum. Wood magazine is a decent one for more of the beginner/crafter (IMO). I learned a lot in the beginning. I dropped that one a long time ago. I've enjoyed woodsmith and shop notes. Made quite a few projects and had some inspiration from them. My fav is PWW. I've seen that mag really become a top notch resource.

As noted above, I suspect the value of the magazines is higher for less experienced woodworkers (of which I am one). I get FWW and Wood. Occasionally I'll pick up Woodcraft if I see it and it has something I'm interested in. I like the magazines just fine, but I think (also as noted above ) that buying the FWW DVD archive is the best thing I've done in a long time. There seems to be at least one article on everything I've ever thought to investigate.

There was a British WW magazine that I used to pick up at a local newsstand that was fantastic. No projects or tips, just stories about master craftsmen, artists and lots of pictures. Haven't seen it around in ages, I think it was titled Woodwork or similar. The problem with most American media is that it panders to the lowest common denominator, unfortunately our WW mags are no exception.

+1 on Woodsmith & shop notes both for different reasons ..been there and done the others- not so much informative mostly too too too much commercial pages...
    This site in concert with a few other wood site offers all the information i can absorb (gleam)..

Having said that i also strongly recommend being a contributor . The luxury of subscribing here is unlimited knowledge and views ..Perhaps the most desirable benefit as you gleam the information you may take what you can use---- and if some one decides to flame.. just lift you middle finer high in the air and hit your delete key,,, seems to work for me and i havent spent $6 + for paper...

Heres my take based on ones ive had subscriptions to:
    Woodsmith: Beginner Level Tips/Articles - Great Plans IF you actually like the project. I never liked any of their projects. After a yr of woodworking experience, I didnt get anything from the magazine.

Shopnotes: Beginner to Intermediate Level Tips/Articles - Was great at first for making jigs, Graet plans, but gets repetitive and the same info were in other magazines. Unsubscribed after a yr.

Wood: Beginner to Intermediate Level Tips/Articles. I liked their projects better than woodsmith, especially summer outdoor plans. But they cater to DIY people, and projects arent fine woodworking. You will never see a dovetail mentioned in the magazine, or curly maple.

FineWoodworking: Intermediate to Advanced. I liked their tool reviews and articles, which the others lack. They do good use comparisons. Good plans, I enjoyed their projects more than Shopnotes or Woodsmith. Articles spanning many subjects that are more than basic skills repeated over and over. They include jigs and such, but only a few pages which is good for those who have seen them often. It is pricey, but i cancelled my other magazines and now only get this.
    -------------------------------------
    Adrian Anguiano

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". Jeremiah 29:11