Thread: dedicated morticer from Masterwood

dedicated morticer from Masterwood

I already have a Festool Domino XL which I use to make beddings, but I've always thought about dedicated morticer because the Domino has its limit, the Masterwood OMB1V seem to be a well put together machine:

OMB1V.jpg

Has anyone gone through the same process? has anyone ever used/owned the OMB1V? the sales person commented normally buyers contemplated buying a morticer like this usually ended up getting themself a semi-CNC such as the Masterwood Teknomat 1000

Teknomat-1000.jpg

Teknomat-1000-3.jpg

Although the automated Teknomat is about 3 times the price of the OMB1V...

Albert:

If I were contemplating that machine, I'd have to ask myself "How many hundreds of mortises do I make a month?". As for the other one, I'd have to ask "How many thousands?"

That being said, I have my own version of mortiser overkill (Greenlee 227 autofeed), so as long as your arm can take it, go ahead and get the OMB1V. What I find most useful in a big mortiser is stability, repeatability, and ease of setup. Over the long term, of course, durability comes into play too. If the OMB1V meets your criteria in these areas, then I'm sure it will do fine.

Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Poore View Post
    Albert:

If I were contemplating that machine, I'd have to ask myself "How many hundreds of mortises do I make a month?". As for the other one, I'd have to ask "How many thousands?"

That being said, I have my own version of mortiser overkill (Greenlee 227 autofeed), so as long as your arm can take it, go ahead and get the OMB1V. What I find most useful in a big mortiser is stability, repeatability, and ease of setup. Over the long term, of course, durability comes into play too. If the OMB1V meets your criteria in these areas, then I'm sure it will do fine.

Kirk
    Hi Kirk, thanks for the comment, yeah I only cut a few hundred mortices a year, its just the speed of this machine cutting mortices is really fast....