Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 6th Grade Math Problem

6th Grade Math Problem

A friend of mine sent this to me. It was a math question on his daughter's math test:

Insert parentheses and addition signs to make this equation true.
    Remember that the parentheses can indicate multiplication.

5 4 2 3 = 32
    There were a few spaces between each number but it isn't showing here.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Do the spaces prohibit using 5 + 4 + (23) ?

That was the solution, Stephen!

Now do you think that this is an "appropriate" "math" question? A buddy of mine posted this on his Facebook page and no one could solve it. When we found out the solution, a lot of people went crazy!

Personally, I found it interesting and "out of the box" thinking. I liked it.

It is an interesting puzzle if posed as a word game, but it isn't mathematics. Putting two things together without an intervening operator in mathematical notation indicates multiplication, not what was done here. In other words, in mathematical notation, "ab" means "a x b," not "a x 10 + b."

That is very useful in everyday life.
    I am always running into strings of numbers & wounder how I can make equal other numbers.
    Schools are great these days.

Personally, I can't find anything wrong with it. It's a question, and as far as we know, the teachers may have gone through questions of that type as part of class.

Otherwise, the outside of the box type questions like that are more IQ questions than the standard school "i tell you something and then you take a test and tell me the same thing".

I'm reminded of a saying one of my professors used to say...."Learning is Painful". Sometimes there are questions only a few students get, and maybe only a few more of them understand why they didn't get them after that. I know a lot of people don't agree with me, but I don't think every question asked needs to be one that 80% of students get correct.

Blog Entries
    A friend of mine sent this to me. It was a math question on his daughter's math test:

Insert parentheses and addition signs to make this equation true.
    Remember that the parentheses can indicate multiplication.

5 4 2 3 = 32
    Maybe I am not up on all math punctuation, but I have never heard of a parentheses indicating multiplication. Star(*) indicates multiplication. AFAIK multiplication is never implied. At least in my world (computer programming)
    So far I haven't come up with the solution.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    Do the spaces prohibit using 5 + 4 + (23) ?
    Wait a minute!!!! I call fowl. No where did it say you could remove spaces. In only allowed inserting parentheses and addition signs. Plus, if parentheses indicates multiplication of the numbers inside then 5 + 4 + (2 3) would equal 15 correct?
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 10-01-2013 at 1:33 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I agree that this isn't rigorous, rudimentary math but a careful reading of the problem statement doesn't say one can't take two of the single digits and "create" a two digit number from them. It further doesn't state that you can do this. As I biked into work this morning (a 50 minute commute), I pondered this "math" problem over and over and couldn't find a solution. When I saw the answer (that the teacher was looking for) posted, I was floored that I didn't think to do this. Like most of us, I suspect, it would not have occurred to us to make a two-digit number. Fundamentally, rigorously, it is not correct but it certainly isn't prohibited. Interesting stuff.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    Maybe I am not up on all math punctuation, but I have never heard of a parentheses indicating multiplication. Star(*) indicates multiplication. AFAIK multiplication is never implied. At least in my world (computer programming)
    Computer programmer here (but also an engineer)... multiplication was always implied/assumed throughout my engineering career. Blocks could be separated by (), [], or even {}. It was only when those symbols were used as operators that the multiplication symbol '*' was used to keep things straight.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

It is pretty fundamental, Larrry. Have you ever heard of PEMDAS? Parentheses Exponent Multiplication Division Addition Subtraction (Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally) These are orders of operation so if you see something like 5 * 4 + 6 / 3 = ??? Certainly, I could make it clearer: (5*4)+(6/3) = ??? or even ((5)(4))+ (6/3) = ???

Wait a minute!!!! I call fowl. No where did it say you could remove spaces. In only allowed inserting parentheses and addition signs. Plus, if parentheses indicates multiplication of the numbers inside then 5 + 4 + (2 3) would equal 15 correct?
    Well, it didn't say you could remove them. It also didn't say you could NOT remove them. hahaha In this case, the parentheses were used to "group" the 2 and 3 together to "create" 23. Like I said above, fundamentally, this is not correct but it solves the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rosenberger View Post
    That is very useful in everyday life.
    I am always running into strings of numbers & wounder how I can make equal other numbers.
    Schools are great these days.
    Government math perhaps?

Blog Entries
    I agree that this isn't rigorous, rudimentary math but a careful reading of the problem statement doesn't say one can't take two of the single digits and "create" a two digit number from them. It further doesn't state that you can do this. As I biked into work this morning (a 50 minute commute), I pondered this "math" problem over and over and couldn't find a solution. When I saw the answer (that the teacher was looking for) posted, I was floored that I didn't think to do this. Like most of us, I suspect, it would not have occurred to us to make a two-digit number. Fundamentally, rigorously, it is not correct but it certainly isn't prohibited. Interesting stuff.
    It is clearly stated that that you must only insert parentheses and addition signs. It did not say you could remove a character. If I used the logic that since it didn't say I couldn't do something like removing a space between numbers, then I could do other things that it didn't say I couldn't do, like changing a number to a different number, or re-arranging the order. A space is a valid character just like a number is a valid character. I say the solution is bogus and violates the restrictions put on the problem. BO O O O GUS!
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 10-01-2013 at 1:52 PM.
    Larry J Browning

Blog Entries
    Well, it didn't say you could remove them. It also didn't say you could NOT remove them. hahaha In this case, the parentheses were used to "group" the 2 and 3 together to "create" 23. Like I said above, fundamentally, this is not correct but it solves the problem.
    If the logic is, it didn't say I couldn't remove a character and somehow that is ok to do, then it also didn't say I couldn't change the numbers all around and even remove some of them. So using this logic the correct answer could be 32 = 32. All I did was remove some of the numbers and spaces and then rearranged the 2 and the 3. The instructions didn't say I could not do that.
    The poor space character just gets no respect these days We can just throw it away and ignore it any old time we want!

this is not correct but it solves the problem.
    Yes, this is true!

Man! I sure hope that was a bonus question that didn't count as part of that poor girl's grade on the test.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 10-01-2013 at 2:37 PM.
    Larry J Browning