Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beall Wheel Buffs Any Better Than Big Box Store Buffing Wheels?

Beall Wheel Buffs Any Better Than Big Box Store Buffing Wheels?

I went cheap and bought some buffing wheels from one of the big box stores several years ago. I don't know what they are made of (cotton?), but I assume they are made for polishing metal.

They do an ok job of buffing as far as I can tell, but not having ever used the Beall or similar system I'm wondering if they do a better job. I know the Beall Wheels are made from different material than what I have, but I don't know how much of a difference that makes.

If anyone has any experience with the way I'm doing it and with one of the commercial systems I would really appreciate your opinions on the matter. Thanks!

Matt

2. If I recall correctly, the Beall buffs are a little different materials depending on which compound you use............notice they are marked....."tripoli" "white dia" and "wax." I have noted just this morning that the wax buff really throws off the lint into the air. I have not used that one much, but I did use some renwax on my latest pedestal bowl and decided to give it a coat and buff.........nice luster when finished.

I cannot attest to the comparison with box store buffs you mention.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

As I recall, the Tripoli wheel is linen, the white diamond a 50/50 linen/cotton blend and the wax is 100% cotton. That makes for a progressively more gentle buffing situation. Can't speak to what you might have on hand.

Where do the ONEWAY wheels fit into the picture?

Matt, there may be a couple of differences. I have bought buffs from a big box store that are a cut piece of fabric with the hole in the middle, rather than gathered in a circle. This shredded pretty quickly. Another was sewn in about a half dozen circles, up to less than an inch from the edge. This did not give a soft interface. They were both usable but I prefer my Beall Buffing wheels and always use them.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    I'm eager to hear the lowdown on this, too. I recently ruined my.Beall wax wheel, and switched to an extra white diamond one I had laying around. Not sure if it's my imagination, but it seems to be slightly less effective.

I think John has it right.

Don Pencil sells both linen and flannel buffing wheels and plastic/lacquer buffing compound. The linen wheels are used for tripoli and white diamond, while the flannel wheel, which is softer than the Beall wax wheel, is used for wax and his PL compound.

One difference between these and big box wheels is the fact that they come premounted on a bolt/washer setup and no stitching while the big box wheels tend to have a hole in the center and several rings of stitching making them stiffer. They are also thinner requiring several stacked together to provide better surface area.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

The linen and flannel choices are just right. Google up some finishing material distributors--they have a great selection and usually cheaper than "buzz" word brands. Also E-bay always carries buffing wheels. Stiched wheels are for coarse buffing and flannel for final waxing usually.

I did research, as to what wheels, flannel/cotton/linen go with which compound, and attempted the "cheap" route. Went locally, griz and the bay. Be careful, as mentioned, some are stitched, some are not, some are thicker some are very thin and flimsy. Bottom line, I spent a few more bucks than planned, searching for the right buffs, and was not happy. Finally got a Beall set on sale. Those are marketed for what we do, so they do work and work well. My $0.02 would be to spend a few extra dollars on a trendy brand name product, whether Don Pencil or Beall or whatever. Saves the frustration on searching, and trying this and that. Which adds up. I have a few buffs that lay in the bottom of my buffing tools bin. They take up space.

I buy my buffing supplies from Caswell Plating, buffing supplies are an integral par of their business. Since I started using them there is no way I will switch to another source.

Glad your Bealle wheels worked out. I didn't mean to infer they made junk--by going to the manufactures and industrial suppliers you get a far better selection of sizes, grades, stiffness ect. One problem I find after 60 years of buffing, is that the stick/wax compounds were never meant for film finished pieces but for metals and other hard materials. Liquid compounds are much easier, cooler and burn spots far less. I do like tripole ect on very hard tropical bare woods. Liquid carnuba waxes with a small amount of fine compound added are great for waxing also. I like Megulard's? brands very well. Think of the finishes on new BMW's.

Thanks for all of the replies. I think you've pushed me over the edge to get one of the systems. Now if I can only get Don Pencil to offer an 1-1/4"-8 spindle adapter. I can't find it on his site so I'll give him a call and see what I can find. Thanks again!

He lists them in two lengths 3 3/4" ($12.50) and 8" ($21.50) and packard has an 8" extender for $25.95. there may be others, but I don't remember who.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I spoke with Don today. Looks like he is getting out of the spindle adapter business. What he has listed is what he has left. Too bad as I had heard good things about them.

Blog Entries
    I've always had superb results with my Beall system. Tripoli, white diamond then and I believe bees wax. 3 different softness wheels.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.